Stock Checkering Kits

GerardV

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I am planning on trying my hand at checkering and looking at buying a checkering kit. Brownells offer a variety of sets from Dem-Bart and Gunline. I was under the impression that Gunline may be the better product due to deeper teeth on the cutters, but with a correspondingly higher price.

Hopefully some other members could add their input/share their experiences with starting checkering and a recommendation on how many lines-per-inch I should aim for with the cutters?

Are you going to try checkering from scratch or recutting and dressing up some existing?
I’ve messed around with it and I’m not much of a hand at it. I’d love to learn more about it myself.

Are you going to try checkering from scratch or recutting and dressing up some existing?
I’ve messed around with it and I’m not much of a hand at it. I’d love to learn more about it myself.

From scratch; my intention is to practice on some scrap wood and an old stock before working on a little project I have planned.

Gerard I think you have the right idea about how to get started. Plenty of practice on stuff that can become firewood.
I have just enough experience to be dangerous, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt.
Checkering is a very individual pursuit. What tools may work well for one person’s style may not work as well for someone else. That being said, there are several different types of cutters. Some are more like a file and some are more like a cutter. The difference being in the type of tooth the cutter has. Many folks find the “file” type to be easier to use and more forgiving, especially for a beginner. The file type don’t cut quite so aggressively. Any cutter is likely to require a little break-in. They become a little less “grabby” and it is a bit easier to control the cutting action.
Generally speaking I prefer 20 line per inch checkering, although 18 lpi is perfectly fine with me too. As a frame of reference a Ruger RSM has 18 lpi checkering. Once again, a personal preference.
Some people like to use a 60 degree file type cutter to “lay out” the checkering and then switch to a 90 degree “cutter” type of tool for deepening and finishing the checkering.

One of the best instructional videos I have seen is Larry Potterfield’s video from MidwayUSA. I have found it to be extremely helpful. Here is a link:

Some folks use a checkering cradle and some folks don’t. I find a checkering cradle makes life much easier! You can make one yourself without too much trouble or buy one.
Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun. And let us know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!