Stinky Zebra skins

Denvir Tire

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA Argentina South Africa Namibia Canada
I have 5 Zebra skins. Three have been made into genuine Zebra Rugs, backing, edging, etc.
Two, however, are simple flat tan skins...
The two skins sometimes smell awful, a somewhat rancid type smell. The smell comes and goes and doesn't seem to depend on weather, humidity, etc.
What's confusing is the other 3 rugs, 2 from Namibia and 1 from South Africa do have a faint hint of the same smell however it's very slight.
The 2 stinky flat tans did spend almost a year in Covid storage before shipping.
Any thoughts??

Vandykes taxidermy supply used to sell a product called “Nil Oder” they may still carry it. You simply spray it on both sides of the hide, in the case of backed hides only the hair side, and allow to dry hanging over a clothes line or similar. It was very effective on bear hides and mountain goat, sheep etc. it came in a couple of different sizes and easy to follow instructions. Hope that helps.

I'm assuming it's some variety of tanning agent used in africa. Have had to deal with a couple that stunk from mainly south Africa but none that were ever processed in the US

Smelly or stinky hide means it is still rotting, albeit slowly. In other words, there is still a bacteria population at work. I would think a total immersion in tanning/preserving chems will be required to truly solve the problem. Exactly what a taxidermist or tannery might use- I don't know maybe- Boric acid solution soak then water rinse then bicarb solution comes to mind. Possibly a soak in straight alum solution without rinse. Or maybe even something more aggressive?? But in all honesty I dunno the best choice. I imagine decent taxidermists would have some advice or solution.

Smelly or stinky hide means it is still rotting, albeit slowly. In other words, there is still a bacteria population at work. I would think a total immersion in tanning/preserving chems will be required to truly solve the problem. Exactly what a taxidermist or tannery might use- I don't know maybe- Boric acid solution soak then water rinse then bicarb solution comes to mind. Possibly a soak in straight alum solution without rinse. Or maybe even something more aggressive?? But in all honesty I dunno the best choice. I imagine decent taxidermists would have some advice or solution.
@blacks Tim, can you offer a suggestion?

Take it to the nearest zoo and let the Lions lick it

Good day @Denvir Tire.

I hope this message finds you well. Obviously I can not see the skins and so wont know the entirety of their condition, but from what you have described, here is my suggestion. Take the flat skins(without the edging and backing), get a bucket of warm water and lightly clean and wipe the hair. Remove all the excess on the hair and let them dry in the sun. Make sure not to drench the skin!
The skins with the edging and backing is quite tricky because it wont allow the skin to dry properly. If you are able to remove the backing, then clean the skin and get some one in the trade to assist to assemble again.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

I have 5 Zebra skins. Three have been made into genuine Zebra Rugs, backing, edging, etc.
Two, however, are simple flat tan skins...
The two skins sometimes smell awful, a somewhat rancid type smell. The smell comes and goes and doesn't seem to depend on weather, humidity, etc.
What's confusing is the other 3 rugs, 2 from Namibia and 1 from South Africa do have a faint hint of the same smell however it's very slight.
The 2 stinky flat tans did spend almost a year in Covid storage before shipping.
Any thoughts??
We have had skins come in to our studio that have already been tanned and have a faint “rancid” smell. This is usually due to the skins being stored for extended period in a closed damp space. This could have been the case with your skins being stored during COVID.

We would suggest hanging the skins in a dry ventilated room for up to a month. The skins need to dry thoroughly.

Thanks for the advice, the more I think about it, I'm remembering that the 3 finished rugs did spend some time boxed in the basement. These rugs barely have a hint of odor and seem to be much better since they have been hanging on the wall for the past year or so.
The stinky hides were in storage in Windhoek from late 2019 until May 2021. This explains it??

Doug, I'm going to try your suggestion before more intensive efforts. I visited your PE facility in 2017 with some friends and you treated us like foreign dignitaries!
Please say hello to Aschlee, she's the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!