Stay .375 or go to .416 ?

+1 for the .375. More versatile, you can get near .416 power or download for a mild recoil rifle. Seems you will use it more in that configuration. Bigger isn’t necessarily better when you are already using enough gun!

I wonder what velocity you can get the 235 grain pills? That would be a perfect elk caliber.
It would be slow for elk probably. You are often taking longer shots and the accuracy would also suffer so it's not really a good elk round in open country. .300 is a much better choice or 7mm variations imo.

It would be slow for elk probably. You are often taking longer shots and the accuracy would also suffer so it's not really a good elk round in open country. .300 is a much better choice or 7mm variations imo.
True, IF you are likely to shoot 400 yards or more, the wind drift would be a significant factor. I agree with @Wyatt Smith that for anything within 300 it would be excellent.
I grew up elk hunting with a .270 win with a fixed 6 power scope. That seemed to work well. Your rifle would be quite a bit more power. I suppose the the real question is would you shoot a .375 off a bipod?

I get over 2800 with superformance powder in my Alaskan with a 20in barrel. Got rid of my 338. I stuck with the 375 ruger.
A 250 grain TTSX at 2850 wouldn’t leave much to be desired within 300 yards IMO.

True, IF you are likely to shoot 400 yards or more, the wind drift would be a significant factor. I agree with @Wyatt Smith that for anything within 300 it would be excellent.
I grew up elk hunting with a .270 win with a fixed 6 power scope. That seemed to work well. Your rifle would be quite a bit more power. I suppose the the real question is would you shoot a .375 off a bipod?
Yeah, I didn't realize you would get that much speed so that is okay. But it's easier to shoot other calibers accurately not to mention weight, recoil, cost, etc. I live in Colorado and I don't recall anybody ever using one. Lots of .30.06 (not my recommendation either for elk), .300, 7mm and lots are going to the rds I hate for elk, 6.5CM and stuff like that.

I get over 2800 with superformance powder in my Alaskan with a 20in barrel. Got rid of my 338. I stuck with the 375 ruger.

hand loads are different for sure, factory is slower

Yeah, I didn't realize you would get that much speed so that is okay. But it's easier to shoot other calibers accurately not to mention weight, recoil, cost, etc. I live in Colorado and I don't recall anybody ever using one. Lots of .30.06 (not my recommendation either for elk), .300, 7mm and lots are going to the rds I hate for elk, 6.5CM and stuff like that.
You make a very good point.
If I was giving myself advice (10 years ago) on what is the best caliber for elk, I would say a 7 mag or .300 win mag. Accuracy is more important than power, I brought my .375h&h barrel this year but didn’t use it because I’m much more confident with a .300 win.

Id say both ends of the spectrum are for experts: a .375 or, on the other side, a 6.5 CM or smaller are for folks that can shoot very well under pressure and have significant experience. (Give me another decade and I’ll see if I fit that description!)

I thought I'd never find something I loved as much as my .338 Win Mag......until the .375 Ruger landed in my hands. 329gr Hammer Hunters gives you reach. 2700 fps with the 329 and it is still moving 1540 at 1000 yards.

As far as elk, I've got a .300 Win Mag (also a Ruger) loaded with the 180 TTSX @ just over 3000, or my alternate, 200 grain LRX at 2850.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that was with a 250gr ttsx

375HH. Lots of bullet variety world wide, great accuracy and good range without the punishment of anything bigger. It will kill anything that walks, crawls or flies.

I'm having my .375 Alaskan rebarreled with a 27" 1:10 twist in .375. That was the original plan, but my Smith asked me if I wanted to go .416, since I could use all my 375 brass still.

Personally I don't think the extra energy of the .416 Ruger, will overshadow the versatile nature of the .375 Ruger. Im asking in case I'm looking at it wrong. There is only about 400 ft/lbs difference. If I stay .375, it will be between the .375 Wby and the .375 RUM.

Give me your input.
My 2 cents worth - the .375 will be perfectly adequate for the game you have in mind. Another option is the .400 H&H magnum of 2003 which uses a necked up .375 case. From an article on this caliber in the NRA American Rifleman "With so many good choices available I’m not certain another cartridge in this power range is an absolute necessity, but the .400 H&H Mag. is definitely a good one, and I suppose there’s always room for one more. Offering smooth feeding and relatively mild recoil, the .400 H&H Mag. is well worth considering—especially if you’re looking for a big bore that’s a bit different."
375 400 404 416 450 - where does it stop !

Im asking in case I'm looking at it wrong. There is only about 400 ft/lbs difference.
Give me your input.
well, here ya go...
I have a 375 ruger, stainless, 20" barrel, houge stock. it is a great rifle, will for sure do anything you need, but...you already know this.

that is a pretty long barrel, wont even go in my gun safe well! :) don't get hung up too much on foot pounds, they don't kill stuff. great bullets thru vitals kill stuff. the 416 will certainly hit harder, you and the target. the 416 ruger is pretty versatile too, especially if you use lighter bullets (350 gr)

ultimately, you need to decide. you have asked the right group of enablers the question, what do i do??

my 2cents, shorten the barrel and keep the 375 ruger. a little less velocity will not be noticed by anything you shoot well, and....you are not shooting ground squirrels at 500 yards with it. if you think there is something it wont do for you, (there really isn't) then buy a bigger gun. be careful tho, the big bore rifle addiction is also something this group can speak to!

let us know what you decide.

I concur with the general opinion which has been expressed by most of the gentlemen here . Keep it as it is ( .375 Ruger ) . Only switch to a .416 Ruger if you are seriously committed to hunting thick skinned dangerous game ( and that too , on multiple safari trips ) .

well, here ya go...
I have a 375 ruger, stainless, 20" barrel, houge stock. it is a great rifle, will for sure do anything you need, but...you already know this.

that is a pretty long barrel, wont even go in my gun safe well! :) don't get hung up too much on foot pounds, they don't kill stuff. great bullets thru vitals kill stuff. the 416 will certainly hit harder, you and the target. the 416 ruger is pretty versatile too, especially if you use lighter bullets (350 gr)

ultimately, you need to decide. you have asked the right group of enablers the question, what do i do??

my 2cents, shorten the barrel and keep the 375 ruger. a little less velocity will not be noticed by anything you shoot well, and....you are not shooting ground squirrels at 500 yards with it. if you think there is something it wont do for you, (there really isn't) then buy a bigger gun. be careful tho, the big bore rifle addiction is also something this group can speak to!

let us know what you decide.
Big bore addiction, yeap. My friend (the Smith thats doing it) keeps telling me that I need a .600 Overkill. 725 grains at 2800 fps lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber