Stay .375 or go to .416 ?

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I'm having my .375 Alaskan rebarreled with a 27" 1:10 twist in .375. That was the original plan, but my Smith asked me if I wanted to go .416, since I could use all my 375 brass still.

Personally I don't think the extra energy of the .416 Ruger, will overshadow the versatile nature of the .375 Ruger. Im asking in case I'm looking at it wrong. There is only about 400 ft/lbs difference. If I stay .375, it will be between the .375 Wby and the .375 RUM.

Give me your input.

Will this be a long range rifle? The reason I ask is the long barrel and fast twist. If that’s the case then I say keep it 375. It sounds like just the thing to shoot those 350 SMKs.

Will this be a long range rifle? The reason I ask is the long barrel and fast twist. If that’s the case then I say keep it 375. It sounds like just the thing to shoot those 350 SMKs.
No, hunting rifle. I want the longer barrel, for the same speed at less pressure. Plus it will look authenticate for Africa. I should be able to get 2600 (300gr) around 58k psi. The fast twist is for more stability with the 350 grain. Maybe that will prevent tumbling as they like to do.

I would say go with the 275 and see how it shoots the 350's. If you feel you need more save a few $$$ and buy a 416 Ruger alaskan model.
Part of me knows the .375 is the wise choice. But just something about going to .416, but that means more dies. I found a guy to trade me .416 bullets for my .375 bullets. I'm never going to face anything big enough to need it but once, maybe twice in my life. The rest of the time it will be a deer and black bear rifle. Kind of like having a pro MMA fighter be the hall monitor at an elementary school lol

If the choice were mine to make, I'd stay with the 375 H&H. You are comfortable with it and you "know" what you have. Many years ago I asked a gunsmith buddy of mine if he could make a 284 x 6.5 out of one of my Swedish Mausers. His reply was "yes, but why?"

P.S. No changes were made.

I'm having my .375 Alaskan rebarreled with a 27" 1:10 twist in .375. That was the original plan, but my Smith asked me if I wanted to go .416, since I could use all my 375 brass still.

Personally I don't think the extra energy of the .416 Ruger, will overshadow the versatile nature of the .375 Ruger. Im asking in case I'm looking at it wrong. There is only about 400 ft/lbs difference. If I stay .375, it will be between the .375 Wby and the .375 RUM.

Give me your input.
The question is what are you going to hunt with it and how often? I’ll wait for your answer but I’d lean towards keeping the .375.

If the choice were mine to make, I'd stay with the 375 H&H. You are comfortable with it and you "know" what you have. Many years ago I asked a gunsmith buddy of mine if he could make a 284 x 6.5 out of one of my Swedish Mausers. His reply was "yes, but why?"

P.S. No changes were made.

The question is what are you going to hunt with it and how often? I’ll wait for your answer but I’d lean towards keeping the .375.

Most often use will be Whitetail, and Black Bear, and at least once it's going to Africa with me for Black Death.

I'll use it for Elk and Mulies if I get the chance. I fell in love with the .375 after I finally got one. It makes me wonder how I was so happy with JUST a .338 Win Mag lol

The only reason I got a 416 is because my wife added DG to her menu and would be using the 375. If it were just me hunting DG, I would have stayed with the 375. Mostly because I wouldn't plan on hunting DG on a regular basis, but the caliber makes a lot of sense for hunting large (potentially dangerous) NA game.

If you plan on making regular trips to Africa for the likes of Elephant and Buff, then get a 416 somewhere down the line. Until then the 375 should do you just fine.

Most often use will be Whitetail, and Black Bear, and at least once it's going to Africa with me for Black Death.

I'll use it for Elk and Mulies if I get the chance. I fell in love with the .375 after I finally got one. It makes me wonder how I was so happy with JUST a .338 Win Mag lol
In that case, the 375....No Contest.

In that case, the 375....No Contest.
The versatility of the .375 Can't be matched. I actually thought about keeping the Alaskan for our son, and loading bullets meant for the .375 Win and pushing them slow.

What could I use for case filler that won't setup like concrete?

+1 for the .375. More versatile, you can get near .416 power or download for a mild recoil rifle. Seems you will use it more in that configuration. Bigger isn’t necessarily better when you are already using enough gun!

I wonder what velocity you can get the 235 grain pills? That would be a perfect elk caliber.

Yes, I think Trailboss is a possibility. It tends to be a "safe", reduced load powder especially for cast bullets simply because its extremely low density makes it really difficult to significantly overload it. I wouldn't bet that it couldn't be overloaded in some application, but the potential is pretty low. Trying something like Unique on the other hand leaves no room for error and it can easily be dangerously overloaded if not paying attention.

Another easy, proven reduced load that Hodgdon recommends is-- Select a bullet type/weight. Find load data that lists a max load of H4895 for that bullet. Load to 60% of that charge. I did that not too many months ago. I used 39gr H4895 under a 300gr jacketed. Pretty mild recoil and IIRC the chronograph showed 1700-1800 fps or so.

Give me your input.
.416 hits way way harder and a much bigger bullet for would channel. It also kicks a lot more which has not been mentioned yet. But if you are doing just 1 buff and that is it, then go .375.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg