State Forest Pig Hunting

@CoElkHunter
Mate instead of laughing at my post about Chris giving his wife a 243, you should be outraged at him buying a 243 for his loving wife. You should have been horrified that a man like Chris that holds great status on the AH forum could stoop to such depravity to inflict an abomination of a caliber on someone he cares so much about.
To give some someone a 243 is a crying shame.
We as forum members need to start a go fund me page so we can get @Mrs CBH a real rifle like a beautiful Howa with a pink stock in the great little 6.5x55 . I'm sure she would appreciate our concern and be greatfull for our generosity.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris give your wife some lovin mate and get her a 260 barrel for her muddy girl.
Very easy to neck up those 43 cases to 6.5mm, it's only half a mill but what a difference.
Bob

Nope,

I've been reading up on the .260, I like it and it precedes the Man Bun cartridge. I will never post publicly if I ever had one.

I might have a .260 someday, Then i read about the .25-06 so , depends. If a deal come up I might have one or the other of those. But it won't be the other, I would have to take back my words and eat my hat so it's better I don't own one of those.

Nope,

I've been reading up on the .260, I like it and it precedes the Man Bun cartridge. I will never post publicly if I ever had one.

I might have a .260 someday, Then i read about the .25-06 so , depends. If a deal come up I might have one or the other of those. But it won't be the other, I would have to take back my words and eat my hat so it's better I don't own one of those.
@CBH
Chris out of the two I would take the 25/06 any day.
A nice sleek 100gn at 3,400fps or a 117grain at 3,000 fps. Shoot flat and hit hard for size.
Bob

@GerardV
Have a look at the DPI website it will list all the state Forrest on the nsw map and what game is in them and if you can use a light or just day hunt. Youl we I'll need an R licence to hunt them tho.
What part of Sydney are you in.
Bob
@Bob I'm in Woolloomooloo, so right in the middle. All sorted with R licences etc, have done some State forests on the South Coast after deer, just never pigs.

I've shot pigs in Pennsylvania State Forest, so not too far from Sydney but check recent reports as they were under a fair bit of pressure from pig hunters with dogs. There’s Fallow deer there too.

If you haven’t hunted pigs before check their body structure, a high shot (above the spine) on a pig can drop it on the spot only for it to come to shortly after and be on a revenge mission, you don’t want it to wake up when you’re standing above it. I treat any pig that drops at the shot and is instantly completely motionless with suspicion.

@Bob I'm in Woolloomooloo, so right in the middle. All sorted with R licences etc, have done some State forests on the South Coast after deer, just never pigs.
@GerardV
Your only about an hours from me at Wyong.
Loads mount and Vulcan Forrest near Oberon are good for pigs, goats in Lowe's Mt as well. If'n you want the bigger boys winter is a better time for pigs but holy snappin duck shit batman it gets cold. I have been there in minus 14 celcieus.
Our USA friends would say that's a warm spring day compared to their winter but to me it f#$%ing cold.
Bob
If you would like to have a yarn PM me your number and I will give you a call.
Bob

@GerardV
Your only about an hours from me at Wyong.
Loads mount and Vulcan Forrest near Oberon are good for pigs, goats in Lowe's Mt as well. If'n you want the bigger boys winter is a better time for pigs but holy snappin duck shit batman it gets cold. I have been there in minus 14 celcieus.
Our USA friends would say that's a warm spring day compared to their winter but to me it f#$%ing cold.
Bob
If you would like to have a yarn PM me your number and I will give you a call.
Bob
Sounds good Bob; I'll PM you.

heres a couple of the Victorian variety that were shot with a 223

Z3bwUf0.jpg

its not that well known about the Victorian state forest oinkers but we do have them

a photo of some from a trail camera l setup on a farm in Victoria where the farmer refused to believe there were any pigs about until we reviewed the photos on the camera

fDwBcOU.jpg

and just to show you some sign
a print

MJK29b8.jpg

scat

QdImLO5.jpg

and diggings

tWxUbe8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@CBH
Chris The Doc realised the error of his ways and went the 270. Unlike your lovable self that was that mean to his wife he actually bought her a horrible little 243 in muddy girl so it looks good. You did this knowing how useless that cartridge is and you wanted to finish the game off for her.
You should have brought her a 7mm-08 that is a more capable round for pig and give her confidence in her rifle and herself. Instead you got her that pissant 243.
When I get the chance to meet you I am going to use her 243 for a bloody tomato stake and give your beautiful long suffering wife your 7mm-08.
Bob
Jeez Bob, quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

When i was a kid in the the early 1960s i shot lots of pigs with a Sportco 22 LR semi auto about 1
magazine to a pig & then graduated to a Winchester 94 30/30 & a Remington 721 222. purchased
at Mick Smiths in George st in Sydney. Those were the days when you could wake up in the morning & go buy a new gun that day no bullshit involved.

When i was a kid in the the early 1960s i shot lots of pigs with a Sportco 22 LR semi auto about 1
magazine to a pig & then graduated to a Winchester 94 30/30 & a Remington 721 222. purchased
at Mick Smiths in George st in Sydney. Those were the days when you could wake up in the morning & go buy a new gun that day no bullshit involved.
as a young bloke when a couple of mates and l would head into NSW pig shooting one of the blokes ran two stag hounds on the pigs and used an old brno model 1 to kill the pigs while the dogs held them, jeez that brings back some really good memories from a long time ago
shot placement is the key, l would tell a new guy to start with a 308

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois