Starting my 98 build

Back to work tomorrow alarm is set for 4:00 am going to be s shocker been off work 10 weeks and sleeping until 7:00 on average can’t wait to get back but a little concerned about 10 hour days. And no midday nap.
Shawn

Back to work tomorrow alarm is set for 4:00 am going to be s shocker been off work 10 weeks and sleeping until 7:00 on average can’t wait to get back but a little concerned about 10 hour days. And no midday nap.
Shawn

This is great news sir!

Yes it is I have not felt this good in 2 years I just had chalked up my loss get up to age now I realize it was my heart plugging up. I have been doing some fly fishing with my sons this spring on some streams that have natural reproducing drown trout still don’t want to go all by myself into the woods but feeling more confident every day.
Prayers are answered.
Shawn

Shawn, better being experience the pain from a bypass surgery than feeling the pain when you experience a heart attack ..it is a pain in it`s own class...you will be feeling better every day..still keep the doctors busy by frequently checking your cholestenol levels..and use the medicine they give you..get a lot of rest..it helps to improve your health along this journey..if you have smoked previously..quite smoking and drinking strong alcohol..it is things that is hard on your body...(y)(y)..

Back to work now and still feeling better every day. Was a little tough the first couple days but I went right into 56 hour weeks 4 -10s and 2 8s as of last testing cholesterol is below what Doc wanted I’ve been following orders with just a few lapses so it’s going well hope to get permission to shoot the 404 Jeffery when I go for appointment on June 21. Fingers crossed.
Shawn

Glad to hear this good update. Prayers are indeed answered! I am looking forward to a hunting report or gun build story!

2 more weeks and I will be hitting the range to sight in the 404J I can’t wait I have to slowly work up my he load once I get it sighted in so my first shots don’t kill the chronograph. I have the reloading bench set up and waiting. The rifle without sling or cartridges weighs in at 8.4 pounds maybe a little on lite side we shall soon see.
Shawn

2 more weeks and I will be hitting the range to sight in the 404J I can’t wait I have to slowly work up my he load once I get it sighted in so my first shots don’t kill the chronograph. I have the reloading bench set up and waiting. The rifle without sling or cartridges weighs in at 8.4 pounds maybe a little on lite side we shall soon see.
Shawn

Good to hear. Any updated pictures of your build?

I thank God every day things could have went so badly but I found my way to a hospital that really looked to find my trouble and had great doctors. I will take a few pics when I head to the range. I toyed around with checkering on a few pieces oh walnut I had and did not like how it was working out for me I believe I need new sharp tools so it’s Just a smooth stock yet I have a co worker who does blueing and when he gets a couple guns ready and gets his tanks out it will get blued. Over winter I’ll get new set of checking tools and give that another try.
I want to thank all for prayers and encouragement and may your lives be blessed.
Shawn

Shawn54, what load were you thinking about working up to? The first and only load I put through my unfired 404 Jeffery was the one Von Gruff gave me for his accuracy load. That being 84 Gr. of H-4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. I used that load for everything, i.e. breaking in the barrel and sighting in. When I finally put it over a Chronograph the first three shots were in order 2300 FPS (exactly what Von gruff told me to expect), 2309 followed by 2306. My rifles (both of them) shoot MOA or slightly better with this load.

Shawn54, what load were you thinking about working up to? The first and only load I put through my unfired 404 Jeffery was the one Von Gruff gave me for his accuracy load. That being 84 Gr. of H-4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. I used that load for everything, i.e. breaking in the barrel and sighting in. When I finally put it over a Chronograph the first three shots were in order 2300 FPS (exactly what Von gruff told me to expect), 2309 followed by 2306. My rifles (both of them) shoot MOA or slightly better with this load.
Well that is a little trouble for me when I built this or should I say I started building this rifle knowing I probably would never see a trip to Africa I decided to go with GS Customs 320gr and they sent me five bullets to load into dummies to get feeding work out. Then I ordered 50 bullets to sight in. Now they are not currently producing them in the us. That stinks because I use their bullets in 22-250 .375 Ruger and my 404J.
The load I will work for the 404J will give me 2750+ with a healthy dose of Ramshot Big Game powder. Hopefully I can sight in and get load developed and still have enough bullets left to hunt deer and bear this year then I’ll start looking for next bullet.
Shawn

GS Customs 320gr was going to screenshot the data for you but my powder is no longer listed on website I’ll have to check that out now but lots of powders listed to achieve that speed.
Shawn

As I go through this thread it really gets me excited. Both my wife and I are in love with .404J. I have made two acquisitions recently one is an original Rigby single square bridge that Rigby .350 rebarreled in .404J sweet and light the other the most recent, an original Jefferies in .404j that someone restocked with a terrible stock. I am in the process of trying to find a stock that looks and fits correctly for this rifle.

After you get this rifle finished you should come do a buffalo hunt with us. We have a new area that success should be close to 100% on a quality buff at a good price! Your .404j will be in some good company with other .404js

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.