Spotting Scope Search

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
I am looking to purchase absolutely the sharpest, clearest spotting scope currently available, cost be damned. I have owned several over the years, including a mid-range priced Nikon presently, and have never really been satisfied. I want it primarily for range work. Any suggestions out there? And once again, I am not interested in the best for the money, or best value, or any other such evaluations. I simply want the best.

Ive had a look through both Zeiss and Swarovski scopes that my outfitters had and they were both great.

Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski. In whatever order suits your eyes.

Whichever brand you choose, get the model with the biggest objective in that brand.

Be wary of too high a magnification at the bottom of the mag range, or you may find mirage is a problem on some days.

1rst Meopta S2. 30-60 WWAngle eyepiece. Period.
2nd Meopta S1 HD (APO) 20-60 + 30X WA both.
GREAT Sporting Scopes!!

Good luck!

CF

You can’t go wrong with either Zeiss or Leica. I own optics from both. I have used the Leica scope and it’s sharp. But I am not sure that if it’s just range work, less we are talking about 600+ yards, I would spend that kind of money. If they are going into the field too then I would. That said the Leica design is getting stale and the Leica rep at DSC said as much about three years ago. I took that to mean a new model is on its way, which for Leica means another two years.

I have a Swaro, it is the best I have ever used.

While I can’t comment on the high end, I can say that the choice on what magnification is important. I have two vortex spotting scopes, 20-60 and 15-45. At 20x magnification on the low end, it is great for watching animals at quite a distance (miles). The 15-45 is better for the 1/2 mile to 1.5 mile range and for backpack hunting. For game watching with family in Yellowstone, 20-60 is better. (You can see the rings on Saturn with about 55x or so.)

Swarovski is simply the best.Buy once for life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!