AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
I have a hunt with Namibia Safari Corporation in late April. I am very interested in a Spotted Hyena, but I spoke with another hunter who has hunted with NSC four times. He advised that he's been after a Hyena during his last three trips, but never had a chance. Apparently, there is no question that there are abundant Hyena around. They are just rarely seen.

Has anyone here hunted Spotted Hyena in Namibia? What was your experience?

Thank you for any assistance.

Would not be my location of choice to take a spotted Hyena. Historically, their range was more central and eastern Africa. They seemed anything but abundant when I was in Namibia. I have seen brown hyena twice there (pretty rare thing - but they are native to Southwest Africa). Never a spotted. We baited leopards on the ground in part because there were no spotted hyena in the region we were hunting (central mountains near Omaruru). Never saw any in the Caprivi or Bushmanland either. Be curious if anyone has had experience with them there.

Last edited:
It is interesting to hear where the range for the Hyena is. First trip to South Africa over five years ago we saw one on our second night as we returned to camp.

Got to agree with Red Leg here .
Namibia would not be my place to chase spotted Hyena .
Hunted a hour or so north of omaruru for 3 weeks covering a lot of ground .
Then spent time in the Kalahari hunting .
Saw a lot of sign of brown Hyenas and actually saw a couple after dark one night .
My PH said the spotted were very rare in the area .
I aws keen to see one but i soon relized it wasnt going to happen .
Saying that Namibia is a bloody big place so good luck they must be there somewhere or they wouldnt take you hunting for one , would they ??
Happy hyena hunting .
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Plenty of non importable browns but a spotted is hard. I’ve wanted one on 3 Safaris+ And still trying. Just don’t get your hopes up but worth a try. My cousin shot one in Nyae Nyae recently.
Philip

@Vanguard2279 , mostly Brown Hyena in that part of the world. I have tried hunting Spotted Hyena there as well without success. South Africa is an excellent place for Spotted Hyena.

Gentlemen:
Thank you for the responses. NSC lists the tag fees for Brown and Spotted Hyena at $1,100. I'll talk to outfitter and see if he has any plans in place to try top harvest one. If not, I won't plan on it happening, but I'll keep it as option if the opportunity arises.

Has anyone here hunted Spotted Hyena in Namibia? What was your experience?

Thank you for any assistance.

I hunted near Kamanjab; Sebra Safaris.

Jan's hunters take several spotted a year; we successfully called for them, and had one chance opportunity.

Northern Namibia, spotted hyena are possible....southern not so much.

full
I beg to differ... we have had great success on spotted hyena the last few years... Here's the 5 I hunted this year in North East Namibia.

18699895_10211490639614509_5513157545224756783_n.jpg
20171107_120341.jpg
20171107_120438.jpg
hyena 2.png
hyena 3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois