Spend my money, Need opinions

Daggaboy375

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase some firearms from a gentleman's estate. His wife is selling his guns and has had a rudimentary appraisal by a "auction person".

The descriptions are sparse and there are no pictures. A lady that I trust and know well has seen the guns and said they look new. She knows nothing about firearms. The seller does not need the money. She is good friends with the lady I know.

My son will see the guns before purchase and can send me pictures and evaluate in hand condition.

Info is lacking, but this is what I have to work with.

Winchester Model 42 .410 $800
US Model 1917 Eddystone $300
Westley-Richards Boxlock patent one trigger, 12 gauge $1300
Remington Model 8, 30 cal. $800
Remington Sportsman 16 Gauge $225

I know condition is key and from all indications the guy kept his firearms in good condition.

The Eddystone and WR have my interest. Any thoughts on the Westley Richards? My guess is that the Model 8 is chambered for 30 Remington and the US Eddystone would be a 30-06.

The last gun that I bought that I NEEDED was back in the 70's. Not looking to resell, just want to fondle.

There is also a Hoffman Arms Company Model 2, 7mm with a cracked stock they have appraised in the "high thousands"

Comments welcome.

DB

Depending on the condition of the firearms, none of them appear to be overpriced. The 1917 Eddystone is one to look at for sure.

The 1917 is priced at a theft level. Even if it is trashed as a rifle, the non-rusted action would be worth that, as, they ain't making any more of them - nor CZ550s. Last 1917 rifle I bought was $650 before the communist Chinese flu.

You're in the wrong place if you're looking to be talked out of buying any firearm on the planet. :giggle:

They look to be reasonably priced assuming appearance and function are good.

Agreed. The 1917 is 1/4 going rate and the sportsman is about half or even 1/3. Again, all depending on condition.
I'd buy them all if true at "like new" condition

Buy them if they are in functioning condition. Waste no time!!

If oneday you should find that you have exceeded the gun safe capacity by +1, I'd be happy to take the Eddystone off your hands (if in ok condition-Many were sporterized and a pile were converted to 308 Norma Mag.) I grew up along that river, swam there, still live on it a considerable distance away, did some cleanup work at the (originally) Baldwin Locomotive Works, Eddystone, PA (that originally built the guns in the Enfield P17 action style,) and eventually sold out to Remington.

If oneday you should find that you have exceeded the gun safe capacity by +1, I'd be happy to take the Eddystone off your hands (if in ok condition-Many were sporterized and a pile were converted to 308 Norma Mag.) I grew up along that river, swam there, still live on it a considerable distance away, did some cleanup work at the (originally) Baldwin Locomotive Works, Eddystone, PA (that originally built the guns in the Enfield P17 action style,) and eventually sold out to Remington.
You beat me to it. lol

As you have noted, condition is everything - but damn. For instance, if the 42 is in original 80% condition, it is a $1100 - $1200 gun. Should it be a standard skeet grade in 80% condition, it is a $2700 gun. Add an original factory rib, and the value goes up significantly.

The same is true on the WR. If it is a post-war single trigger gun with ejectors and in 90% condition it is $1500 - $2800 gun depending upon specific model. For instance, if the WR name is in gold on the action, add $500. If it were by some miracle a drop lock, add another thousand.

As others have noted, that is fire sale money for the P17.

That is about right for a Remington Model 8 in 90% condition.

Thanks all.

The logistics will be daunting but I shall endeavor to persevere.

If anything happens on the good luck fairy side I'll update.

DB

Dependent on condition, I'd buy all of them. OT, Love to have that Eddystone because I worked in the building where they were made. Before my time there, crates of them were found in storage in the office building. They were wrapped in cheesecloth and cosmoline and sold to the employees, IIRC around fifteen dollars. Just for reference, almost two million were made in that plant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg