species in the caprivi... what you shouldn't leave behind.

WARTY09

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
A good friend of mine had booked a leopard hunt in the Caprivi for this coming May. He was asking me about special species that he could hunt while bait checking for the leopard. He has already got a Roan for the same hunt. What are some of the other plains game should he take advantage of while he is hunting. Any suggestions would be good.

i spent some time in the caprivi on my last trip. i was not hunting there, but went to see some of the species that could only be found in this region. sable roan tseesebe lechwe were some that were seen and would make a great addition to a trophy room.

Sitatunga and Red Lechwe, will not be seen while checking Leopard baits but could be added in the area. Best is to chat to the outfitter on what is available in the area. It will / might interfere with the Leopard hunt to start hunt other concessions for different species.

VHSAF, are you sure is possibly and legal to hunt sitatunga in Caprivi strip. Iï½´m very interested in this buck!
Thanks

Red lechwe is common in the river areas and it is a beautiful animal. I hunted there two years ago, and it was quite common there. Definitely is a good plains game to combine with other dangerous game.

The Caprivi is primarily a DG area. While red lechwe are locally common on some few concessions, very few are available on anyone's quota. A very few roan and sable are on quota, but most outfitters reserve them as part of packages for clients hunting DG - particularly elephant. I know of no conservancy with sitatunga on quota. The plains zebra in Caprivi are quite beautiful, looking a lot like mountain zebra - most lack shadow striping.

But the big thing in theCaprivi is DG. It is a rare and wonderful place to be, and I could not urge you more to try to find the means to hunt a buff while your buddy is sitting for cats. I suspect your outfitter may be open to some sort of negotiation ondaily rates since you are already booked.

I would certainly add a zebra for the lack of the shadow stripes on the Burchell's zebra. Plus, it will double as leopard bait!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg