Speciality Hunts

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
The talk about Helicopter hunts for Wild Hogs got me thinking (OK drooling) about that and thinking about some other Special Hunts, like hunting at night with thermal scopes and night vision, AND of course historical hunting in period "garb". I might even add a drive hunt. I have a mental picture of a traditional (?) European drive hunt for Boar.

I want to do them all; but what else am I missing?

How'bout you post some experiences. Pros / Cons. Prices. Gear ???

Here I'll start, about 15 years ago, with a bunch of buddies, we drove to northern Canada to hunt Black Bear. One of us was a big time re-enactor. He wanted to hunt in his French and Indian War "garb", complete with his custom musket.

After driving 19 hours, we finally arrived. Some of the guys wanted to go out to check the hunting area. My reenactor buddy grabbed his 30-06 as a "just in case". He wasn't at his spot for 10 minutes, when a bear decided that was a good time to feed on the bait. My buddy had to choose shoot now with his modern gear OR come back the next day with his flintlock and buckskins hoping the bear would come back.... He chose to shoot with the 30-06. Sure he got his bear; but I think he was disappointed.

Spotlighting for varmints and other nocturnal creatures. You can do this in some African countries or in Texas if you want something closer to home. We would head out to my buddies ranch near Llano, jump on the back of his pickup, and slowly drive the property, looking for racoon, hogs, and any other pest type animals we could find. Price- free, just have to know someone with a ranch in TX. I think there are outfits that offer it, but I'm not familiar with pricing.

I believe you can also do knife and spear hog hunts in Texas. They use dogs to find and bay the pig, then you go in and finish it off. Not sure of pricing, probably not very expensive.

I've used night vision and thermals in the military, but not for hunting. I think that takes any degree of sport out of it and should only be done for population control rather than actual hunting. Also, its expensive. I think standard night vision sites or goggles will run you a couple grand while thermals will usually be over $10k.

In terms of historical hunts, there are a couple of great reports posted here on AH by member @Gert Odendaal: http://www.africahunting.com/thread...rm-in-limpopo-south-africa.28862/#post-268895

Forgot to mention...

-Riding Lions. I recently read White Hunters: The Golden Age of African Safaris by Brian Herne. In it, he describes the practice of lion riding in British East Africa.

"Over the next few years Arthur became a noted lion hunter and a practitioner of the British East African sport of "riding lions," the comparatively new and exceedingly dangerous method of hunting being practiced by the more daring white hunters of the early 1900s. Lion hunting was considered not only a sport but a necessity in the territory to protect livestock. In those early days lions were often hunted at night over kills using bait, or miserably poisoned or trapped. Such lowly methods were legal, but regarded with contempt by any self-respecting hunter.

Riding lions was considered a far more sporting method. Count Wickenburg, who rode lions before nearly being killed by one in Somaliland, was probably the first proponent of the pastime. The unwritten rules for riding lions required that lions be pursued on horseback. When the lion either turned at bay, or otherwise offered a shot, the hunter was supposed to dismount- the ideal range was variously reckoned at between forty and sixty yards- and shoot before the big cat either ran away or charged. Yet the rules- and the advice- were flexible, and not always easy to follow. The sport resulted in numerous maulings and fatalities among its more reckless practitioners."

I don't think you can hunt like this anymore!

Here's a link to the book in case you're interested. Its quite good. https://www.amazon.com/White-Hunter...8&qid=1470991735&sr=1-1&keywords=white+hunter

Looking foward to pics of your lion hunt. Are going to wear your kilt, lederhosen or something different? Good luck and have a great hunt.

I have seen and heard about stalking up on hippos at night with night vision! And of course I would also consider waiting at night for a leopard to be in this category!

Something with hounds for sure! A bayed up grizzly really get the adrenaline flowing! Maybe leopard....caracal?

I know a couple who will bay up a grizzly for you, or put out one hell of a good effort at it anyway.... In BC Canada. They are willing and able houndsmen (well man and wife)... I may have to go back to do it...

Well, probably a little to 'vanilla' for most here, but a few years back I got into squirrel hunting. Most of us started out that way, then moved on to bow hunting, bird hunting, deer, big game, or whatever. Pretty simple: all you need is a .22 or a shotgun and some shells, a license, and maybe some hunter orange. No big outlay of cash......no issue on who got the biggest "trophy" or "rack". Not very exciting, but certainly relaxing.
I also like hunting small game (and big) with traditional muzzleloaders.....I have a 62 cal. smoothbore flintlock that I take out for squirrels and rabbits, and a 10 gauge SxS percussion that I plan on using for waterfowl and turkeys. I loved watching "Daniel Boone" as a kid (Fess Parker is STILL a hero to me, even though he has passed on), and I guess it helps take me back to a more "innocent" time.
Any way, your results may vary......................................

I've had the pleasure of doing a lot of whitetail hunting with flintlock. I did thermal for hogs in GA a few years back. Totally awesome experience.

Well, probably a little to 'vanilla' for most here, but a few years back I got into squirrel hunting. Most of us started out that way, then moved on to bow hunting, bird hunting, deer, big game, or whatever. Pretty simple: all you need is a .22 or a shotgun and some shells, a license, and maybe some hunter orange. No big outlay of cash......no issue on who got the biggest "trophy" or "rack". Not very exciting, but certainly relaxing.
I also like hunting small game (and big) with traditional muzzleloaders.....I have a 62 cal. smoothbore flintlock that I take out for squirrels and rabbits, and a 10 gauge SxS percussion that I plan on using for waterfowl and turkeys. I loved watching "Daniel Boone" as a kid (Fess Parker is STILL a hero to me, even though he has passed on), and I guess it helps take me back to a more "innocent" time.
Any way, your results may vary......................................

We used to go "sniping" for squirrels and the like. It was another "dress up event" only this time it was in a ghillie suit. Some guys even had an orange ghillie suit.

I grew up in TX. When I was 6 I got my first gun, a Sears single shot .22. My dad and I would visit my grandparents and hunt squirrel on their 60 A homestead. My granddad love Brunswick stew.

I learned to use a Weems Wildcall about the same age. I'd sit in the back of an old Jeep station wagon wrapped in a GI blanket and call while my dad and a bud would spotlight with flashlights and 12 ga shotguns for grey fox.

A couple of years ago I went to west TX on a helicopter hog hunt...what a hoot! I highly recommend you put this on your bucket list!

Thanks for bringing back great memories.

Have you tried the night vision bushpig hunt with Marius? We also spotlighted a genet one evening before dinner was ready. Both were kickass hunts along with a hound hunt for caracal.

Sand Rat, I haven't tried that, but I am very interested in the small cats and jackal. That might be the best opportunity for them.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Forgot to mention...

-Riding Lions. I recently read White Hunters: The Golden Age of African Safaris by Brian Herne. In it, he describes the practice of lion riding in British East Africa.

"Over the next few years Arthur became a noted lion hunter and a practitioner of the British East African sport of "riding lions," the comparatively new and exceedingly dangerous method of hunting being practiced by the more daring white hunters of the early 1900s. Lion hunting was considered not only a sport but a necessity in the territory to protect livestock. In those early days lions were often hunted at night over kills using bait, or miserably poisoned or trapped. Such lowly methods were legal, but regarded with contempt by any self-respecting hunter.

Riding lions was considered a far more sporting method. Count Wickenburg, who rode lions before nearly being killed by one in Somaliland, was probably the first proponent of the pastime. The unwritten rules for riding lions required that lions be pursued on horseback. When the lion either turned at bay, or otherwise offered a shot, the hunter was supposed to dismount- the ideal range was variously reckoned at between forty and sixty yards- and shoot before the big cat either ran away or charged. Yet the rules- and the advice- were flexible, and not always easy to follow. The sport resulted in numerous maulings and fatalities among its more reckless practitioners."

I don't think you can hunt like this anymore!

Here's a link to the book in case you're interested. Its quite good. https://www.amazon.com/White-Hunter...8&qid=1470991735&sr=1-1&keywords=white+hunter
This is a fantastic book! I have the book itself, but the audiobook is available through Audible.com and I have probably listened to it 10 times in the last 3 years just from running it in my car!

Like you I fancy doing one of those hog hunts from a chopper one day!

CAustin, I went helicopter hog hunting with Cedar Ridge Aviation in Knox City, TX. The pilot was a very young man who grew up in Valdez, AK and learned to fly there. As I recall, we saw 23-25 hogs and I managed to get 21+1 coyote. It was southeast of Abilene, Tx. He brought the little R2 in on a flatbed behind his Dodge pickup. We took off and landed twice from the flatbed. Awesome time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,