Special or Theft Proof Luggage?

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Supercat, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Supercat

Supercat AH Veteran

i hope you all don’t mind me posting this here but I wasn’t sure where else to ask.

I am traveling from NY to Bulawayo in June and I was wondering if any of you have used or can recommend theft proof luggage as checked in luggage. I’ve seen videos of how easy it is to put a pen through the zipper to open the suitcase and then re-zip it when done. I see that they now sell “double coil” luggage that is resistant to the above but before I buy I was wondering what you all do.

Thank You!

barbells.and.arrows likes this.

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
    Are you flying on SAA via JNB? Will your bag be checked straight through or do you have to collect it and re-check in? I would just take whatever bag you want and have it wrapped in the plastic wrap at the airport. I flew into Bulawayo with a wheeled duffel bag, with the plastic wrap, from JNB and there is nothing to be concerned about in Bulawayo. JNB, that's another story.

Wheels and Therack like this.

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    If a thief wants into your bag they are going to get into it. It doesn't matter if it is wrapped or just the way that you bought it from the store.

If they want it bad enough they will just take the whole bag. Just don't have anything expensive in the bag. Take your optics, cameras, computers, and whatever else with you in your carry on.

Therack likes this.

4. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    I have talked to a couple of people in baggage claim that had these and swore by them. They cost a lot and weigh a lot but seem to be great.

https://www.thepelicanstore.com/cases/luggage

Another option that some people do. Go to Goodwill or thrift store. Get the ugliest most beat up luggage you can find that is still function-able. Something like old Samsonite hard-sided-no-wheels works great. It doesn't look worth breaking into. Also, don't wear high dollar, look at me, safari outfits and name-brand watches when checking baggage in Africa. Look like the dad coming to see your Peace Corp working daughter, the short term missionary or NGO worker who will be helping drill water wells, etc. If you don't look worth stealing from at check in, the person checking you in may not target your luggage for their counterpart in baggage handling to pilfer through. I have talked to a few backpackers with their nylon backpacks they have to check. They never get broken into. They look dirty, they may stink, who wants to unzip the pack to find dirty socks and underwear.

As 375 Ruger said. Shrink wrap just creates one more obstacle for thieves. Every little bit helps .

Attached Files:

Beretta391 and Supercat like this.

5. Supercat

Supercat AH Veteran

Yes and that is a GREAT idea! Let TSA check the ammo in luggage then wrap it....thanks!!

6. Supercat

Supercat AH Veteran

You’re right. I will bring binoculars, camera, etc in my carry on but just don’t want them messing with the contents of my luggage, ammo etc

If I can make it a hard target maybe it will deter them

7. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)

Attached Files:

Supercat and Wheels like this.

8. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    You can buy luggage without zippers. They have the locks built into them that TSA can get into if necessary. I have used them and felt a lot more secure. Can still be stolen tho. Good luck.
    Bruce

Supercat likes this.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I have a Pelican and feel it very secure!

Supercat likes this.

10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    I've never locked my checked bag. (Duffle bag)
    Nothing has ever been taken.
    I also have nothing in the bag worth stealing.
    You want the ammo in the locked case, go for it. It's not worth the trouble.

Dewald likes this.

11. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    I used a Pelican Air 1615 with no foam. Weighs about 14 lbs empty, but it worked for me.

12. Mark19707

Mark19707 AH Veteran

Ill cast my vote for Pelican. Only word is watch your weight.... but you should be packing light anyway

Supercat likes this.