Spearfishing South Africa

7mm Mauser

Reaction score
Member of
SAJWV, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa
I am planning to go spearfishing in South Africa this December, but it will only be in shallow water for some reef fish. However if a nice game fish no bigger then 5 kgs shows up I will take it. Are there any recommendations regarding which speargun, reels and spears . I won't dive deeper than 10 metres and the gun must have some power and distance.

cf-P249a.jpg

My first suggestion!

601px-Jaws-Harpoon-3.jpg

Honestly, wish I could help.
Have fun in the water.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 324
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 387
Good day 7mm Mauser

Which part of South Africa will you be visiting? There is some absolute superb spearfishing spots along the Zululand and Maputoland coastline. I use a Rob Allen 1200 railgun without a reel, 30m float line and a buoy. I have never needed more as a rig.
Banga Nek being my most favorite spot- visibility is year round superb and will you experience moderate currents if they run, the water is warm and easy to negotiate. Pelagic's only though since it is within a marine reserve, but you can shoot some nice GT's without much effort.
I would recomend that you Google: Coatesman. He runs a blog and his contact details is available. He is outstanding Spearo and he will have all the info you require.

Regards
Boela.

I am visiting the northern part of the eastern cape in the Transkei at Mkambati nature reserve.

Look forward to hearing how this goes. Hopefully a great report with photos.(y)

Good day 7mm Mauser

Which part of South Africa will you be visiting? There is some absolute superb spearfishing spots along the Zululand and Maputoland coastline. I use a Rob Allen 1200 railgun without a reel, 30m float line and a buoy. I have never needed more as a rig.
Banga Nek being my most favorite spot- visibility is year round superb and will you experience moderate currents if they run, the water is warm and easy to negotiate. Pelagic's only though since it is within a marine reserve, but you can shoot some nice GT's without much effort.
I would recomend that you Google: Coatesman. He runs a blog and his contact details is available. He is outstanding Spearo and he will have all the info you require.

Regards
Boela.

Are GT the main pelagic's you get, or do you get other species?

What size range do the GT's run?

Would love to see some of your photos if you would post them.(y)

Any pictures of the equipment or catches ?
Glen

Hello 7mm Mauser,

My favorite speargun maker is Riffe.
It is because they are not only well made but, equally as important as high quality is, they are also very quiet.
For any non-spearfishing readers, wary gamefish will "jump the spear", if your gun is noisy to shoot, just the same as nervous game animals on the land will "jump the string" for bow hunters, if they hear the "thwack" from shooting an arrow at them.
Riffe makes everything from very short and handy ones for reef fish and flounder, etc., to very large and powerful "blue water" models, for huge and powerful pelagic species, like tuna and such.
Web site:
speargun.com

These days, people tell me I am 63 years old but, I still spearfish whenever I get the chance (almost entirely only at Hawaii these days).
Due to my age, I no longer try for any species except "reef fish" (goatfish, parrotfish and other similar sized, in-shore species).
However, when I was young, twice I have been dragged through the water by large fish that I had failed to hit correctly (missed the brain or spine).
One was a very large leopard shark (essentially they are a spotted sand shark) on the leeward side of Catalena Island, 26 miles off the coast of Los Angeles California.
The other was a huge black sea bass.
I eventually landed the shark but lost the bass when, my weak and mangled single barb tore back through some flesh / scales and pulled free, as I was braced against some rocks he had taken refuge in.
I was pulling for all I was worth and so was he but, my cheap equipment (flimsy Voit brand, 1965 vintage aluminum single band gun) had not penetrated very far into the bass.

I realize that only being dragged by fish twice in my life is very limited experience, compared to some guys but, those two experiences caused me to seriously think about my spearfishing equipment.
Back in those days, I settled on the tag-line / float system, instead of the reel.
In other words, you attach a line and streamlined float to your "breakaway" toggle-barb.
When a fish is skewered through a non-vital spot (never intentionally, as on truly large fish, you try to brain or spine them), he bolts and the barb pops free of the spear shaft.
Mr. Fish then races about, dragging the float until he runs out of petrol, and Bob's your aunty.

The "fighting reel" on a speargun system always concerned me that a large fish might swiftly encircle me with the line, as I'm furiously trying to reel him in.
Admittedly however, I confess that I have never tried the reel system on any speargun and so, my concern might be nothing more than unfounded nonsense.

Stay safe and cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hello 7mm Mauser,

My favorite speargun maker is Riffe.
It is because they are not only well made but, equally as important as high quality is, they are also very quiet.
For any non-spearfishing readers, wary gamefish will "jump the spear", if your gun is noisy to shoot, just the same as nervous game animals on the land will "jump the string" for bow hunters, if they hear the "thwack" from shooting an arrow at them.
Riffe makes everything from very short and handy ones for reef fish and flounder, etc., to very large and powerful "blue water" models, for huge and powerful pelagic species, like tuna and such.
Web site:
speargun.com

These days, people tell me I am 63 years old but, I still spearfish whenever I get the chance (almost entirely only at Hawaii these days).
Due to my age, I no longer try for any species except "reef fish" (goatfish, parrotfish and other similar sized, in-shore species).
However, when I was young, twice I have been dragged through the water by large fish that I had failed to hit correctly (missed the brain or spine).
One was a very large leopard shark (essentially they are a spotted sand shark) on the leeward side of Catalena Island, 26 miles off the coast of Los Angeles California.
The other was a huge black sea bass.
I eventually landed the shark but lost the bass when, my weak and mangled single barb tore back through some flesh / scales and pulled free, as I was braced against some rocks he had taken refuge in.
I was pulling for all I was worth and so was he but, my cheap equipment (flimsy Voit brand, 1965 vintage aluminum single band gun) had not penetrated very far into the bass.

I realize that only being dragged by fish twice in my life is very limited experience, compared to some guys but, those two experiences caused me to seriously think about my spearfishing equipment.
Back in those days, I settled on the tag-line / float system, instead of the reel.
In other words, you attach a line and streamlined float to your "breakaway" toggle-barb.
When a fish is skewered through a non-vital spot (never intentionally, as on truly large fish, you try to brain or spine them), he bolts and the barb pops free of the spear shaft.
Mr. Fish then races about, dragging the float until he runs out of petrol, and Bob's your aunty.

The "fighting reel" on a speargun system always concerned me that a large fish might swiftly encircle me with the line, as I'm furiously trying to reel him in.
Admittedly however, I confess that I have never tried the reel system on any speargun and so, my concern might be nothing more than unfounded nonsense.

Stay safe and cheers,
Velo Dog.

Enjoy the stories Dog!

Thanks guys, I bought myself a small Beuchat Espadon speargun, and it worked well enough on the reef fish we shot. I am still however considering buying a longer Rob Allen for game fish. We shot some Blacktail, Mullet, Convict Surgeonfish, Zebra and squid. Thanks for the replies, and I would like to know if it is necessary to buy a reel, and how the reel system works.

Cheers

I can't help you with what you are considering. In my younger days I used pole spears on reef fish but am not a true pelagic hunter.

@ROCKET is not in RSA, but he is one of our resident experts on spearfishing. He might be able to help you with a set up.

@James Jeffrey - HuntingAgent.com can probably help you as well.

Eric Allard is a Tanzanian, but he has a partner that is from RSA and knows all about blue water hunting in RSA. Eric is a true blue water hunter with 200 plus pound dogtooth tuna, black marlin, etc. This is his website. They have set many world records. He can refer you to people that can help you in RSA.

http://spearfishingtanzania.com/ebwstz/Home.html

Daniel Hulme is from Zimbabwe. His father is a Zim PH. I believe he has the record yellowfin at around 300 pounds. He probably knows a number of spots to spearfish in RSA. I don't have his info in front of me but if you want it, I can look it up for you.

BTW, most of the blue water hunters are using bungees and floats, not reels.

Hope one of these guys can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck. Please post photos and details of your hunt!

As a lot of you know I'm a fanatic when comes to bow fishing here in Canada . We are now looking at free diving with pole spears to get around some of our bylaws concerning discharge of a firearm . I'll be watching with anticipation as this post progresses .
Glen

Hello 7mm Mauser.....being that I don´t know the area, and about you are saying, I would recomend you to do not get complicated yourself with big equipment.....you are talking about shallows water, reef, and average fish up to 5 kilos.....well, I have done alot of that type of spear fishing in Brazil and let me tell you that any regular speargun simple rubber band between 60 and 90 centimeters long, will do the job in a 5 kg fish, even more than that.

I would preffer a 70 cm long for that job, I use to had a Cobrasub gun from Brazil and a Cressi from Italy in 70 and 90 cm, even you barely need a reel in your gun, but if you have it, use it.

With those guns I was able to get 20 kilos Groupers without problem, no buy, no reel, just the gun rope, but a reel sometimes helps.

I am sure you gonna have tons of fun and good spearfishing......(y)

Ordered a JBL carbon fibre pole spear in 7 foot (2 pc) with a flopper point ...should be here next Monday .... suckers and carp better look out ! LOL !
Glen

Ordered a JBL carbon fibre pole spear in 7 foot (2 pc) with a flopper point ...should be here next Monday .... suckers and carp better look out ! LOL !
Glen

Look forward to hearing how it works out for you. FYI, if you are hunting around rocks or reefs, you might want to get multiple heads to take with you. They dull quickly if hitting something hard. Nothing more frustrating than hitting a trophy fish and having the spear bounce off due to a dull point. Look forward to photos.

Look forward to hearing how it works out for you. FYI, if you are hunting around rocks or reefs, you might want to get multiple heads to take with you. They dull quickly if hitting something hard. Nothing more frustrating than hitting a trophy fish and having the spear bounce off due to a dull point. Look forward to photos.
Ironical... as it sound Wheels ! My Buddies James , Josh and Wheels all bought pole spears . 2 aluminum , 1 fiber glass and mine being carbon fiber none of us have any experience with them . We are looking at them as a way of getting around the discharge bylaws here in Ontario , most bylaws list bows as being firearms as the bylaws read . We have created such a stir of excitement at our local archery shop , that they are looking into carrying a few spears depending on our out come . LOL ! We for now are just going to be using them in our local creeks and streams .... maybe in the future we will look into free diving with them .... Thanks for the advice ...and for sure we will post picture ...looking forward to a lot of S&G (Shits & Giggles)
Glen

Thanks for all the advice guys, I bought myself a 70cm Rob Allen speargun, and we are going spearfishing in Vicoria bay/Ballots Bay December ( any advice ?), I also bought a complete bow fishing kit at hunted, and if anyone knows of a good spot in SA please let me know.
Cheers

Get yourself a good wet suit for the Transkei, and be on the lookout for sharks. Zululand and southern Mozambique are good spots. @Boela has good advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you