Petrus Geldenhuys

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia
So just had a read through the Japan hunt thread and something there just stuck in my head.
Spear hunting......
Who has ever done this?
Can you buy spears off the shelf like arrows?

Please send me some videos or photos of this, would love to see how it works.

Ive seen some old videos of animals being speared in Africa by local tribes and it was not my cup of tea...how ethical is spear hunting?

Please tell me more

observe is the chucker , guru ....... p.m him and he will set you up ........

When in Germany on a driven hunt the dogs are holding the wild boar (usually allready wounded) we sometimes use this to kill it:
index.php

Attachments

• ragnaroeck_4_20110810_1298886635.jpg
    ragnaroeck_4_20110810_1298886635.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 226
When in Germany on a driven hunt the dogs are holding the wild boar (usually allready wounded) we sometimes use this to kill it:
Would this be considered spear hunting? or is it just a great way of finishing off the pig.....

yes you can order hunting spears like arrows, I think the website is www.coldsteel.com.
is it ethical ? don't know never did it or practiced with one. bow is enough challenge for me. Forrest

It´s the closest thing to spearhunting I ever saw... but you do not throw it.

yes you can order hunting spears like arrows, I think the website is www.coldsteel.com.
is it ethical ? don't know never did it or practiced with one. bow is enough challenge for me. Forrest
This was exactly my thought, bow is a heck of a challenge already, now imagine spearing! Im sure the spearing guys have some great stories to tell.

Spear hunting is a big no no for me. Very unethical, especially when our number one priority should be to minimise animal suffering. Why use a tool which leaves you very little room for error?

To be honest, I'm on the fence about bow hunting too but that's a subject that could make me very unpopular on here!

Spear hunting is a big no no for me. Very unethical, especially when our number one priority should be to minimise animal suffering. Why use a tool which leaves you very little room for error?

To be honest, I'm on the fence about bow hunting too but that's a subject that could make me very unpopular on here!
Look i don't know enough about it to know how much the animal suffers, but I'm sure a blade through the heart lung area lets it go down quickly. but yes i also have the ethical doubts about it!

Look i don't know enough about it to know how much the animal suffers, but I'm sure a blade through the heart lung area lets it go down quickly. but yes i also have the ethical doubts about it!

Granted, anything take can penetrate the 'kill zone' will bring the animal down. My issue is the lack of room for error. Animal welfare should be number one priority.

Granted, anything take can penetrate the 'kill zone' will bring the animal down. My issue is the lack of room for error. Animal welfare should be number one priority.
You can suck with any tool. It's your job to be good enough. Don't blame the tool

BRICKBURN, I totally agree.
spear hunting and stick and string hunting have been around since the beginning. Forrest

I agree, placement it key. I could kill almost any animal with a sharp pencil if I really wanted to. Am I going to? No.

The margin for error using a spear to kill an animal is far too great to be considered ethical, anyone who would use such a method clearly has no respect for animal welfare. Hunting with a spear may well have been round from the beginning but we have evolved a long way, we no longer rely on hunting to survive where any method to put a meal on the table was acceptable.

I have seen the videos on Youtube of an african tribe spear hunting with several animals having 20 plus spears hanging out of it slowly dying. Is this really what you want? A regression that leaves us under ever more scrutiny in the public eye. Humans have developed very efficient weapons for killing over the years, why not use one?

If the thrill you seek is the challenge of getting in close (which is one I also enjoy), then just stalk in closer with a rifle. No one is making you shoot at 100/200m.

I would be willing make a bet that out of rifle, bow and spear hunting, no tool would result in more wounded animals than the spear.

Capstick wrote about spearing a cape buffalo in one of his books (Death in the Silent Places, I believe). Apparently the spearhead was fashioned from piece of a broken leaf spring off his Land Rover. He had the week off between safaris and convinced the other PH in his camp to reluctantly go along with him as backup. The old bull he speared ended up needing 2 rounds from his friend's .458 to stop it from running him down.

Last edited:
Capstick wrote about spearing a cape buffalo in one of his books. Apparently the spearhead was fashioned from piece of a broken leaf spring off his Land Rover. He had the week off between safaris and convinced the other PH in his camp to reluctantly go along with him as backup. The old bull he speared ended up needing 2 rounds from his friend's .458 to stop it from running him down.
I could not even imagine taking on a buffalo with a spear.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg