Spear-hunting Whitetail Deer/ Has anyone here done it?

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX, CA and NC
I am looking for advice on Spear hunting Whitetail deer. I have killed a number of Boar with a throwing spear but my setup is wrong for deer. Does anyone have any advice that does not include the use of bait? (Bait is not leagal where I hunt)

I'm thinking a tree stand is going to be in your future.

I have had them come right up to the blind (inches) when placed along side a major pathway.

Good luck.

The problem is really that I dont like tree stands as I slid 30 ft down the side of a tree 3 years ago. So as a rule I stay on the ground. The problem comes in when I go to throw the deer almost always jumps the spear. This has happened at about 5 yds.:(

What I am looking to figure out is a proper ground blind design/ tactic to get the spear thrown unseen.

I'm not in love with high places either.

Only suggestion then is a Natural material blind on a frame of concrete wire or pig fence wire in an X shape.
Enough room to hold the spear and chuck it.

Excuse my ignorance but where in the US is it legal to hunt white tails with a spear?

I just looked at Alabama's regulations and see that you can hunt deer with a spear there. Sounds like it could be fun.

As for you tree stand experience, were you wearing a harness? If not you should of been.

Last edited:
My first question would be where would it be illegal?
It's just a big arrow isn't it?!

+1 on the harness +10 on just stay on the damn ground. :D

My first question would be where would it be illegal?
It's just a big arrow isn't it?!

+1 on the harness +10 on just stay on the damn ground. :D

I can name quite a few states where it is illegal, that is why I posed the question. But then Alabama has such a high deer population I can understand them letting you do it, also a few other eastern states where the deer population are starting to run out of hand may also.

Makes me wonder why it's illegal. Learn something new every day.

I would say that it has never been popular enough to legalize it. Most states it usually takes a act of congress to change the hunting method laws that are in effect now but if enough people ask for it in a state they may consider it. I would imagine that if a state did it would do it only during the archery seasons.

@JimP the stand slipped while I was hooking the harness to the tree

In Alabama they have seen fit to let us hunt pretty much any way we want. Thankfully the limits are high and the regulations low as it should be when a lot of game is present in the area. :A Thumbs Up:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg