Spear hunting africa

While patiently waiting for maybe another chance at a warthog coming in,and smelling more and more like a cow....

I interestingly observed the antics of some 'small ones' next to me---
I'm wondering, are they all more or less going in the same direction with their 'ball' ,or do they mule-headed choose the direction in their funny upside down position just randomly?

24713d1389370544-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3077.jpg

Eventually after about another 2 1/2 hours from the photo in the previous post ,two more warthogs came cautiously in, but alas, it's a sow with a still dependent teenager, and I let the pair go ...
[ethical hunting remember....Eish!]

24714d1389370550-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3091.jpg

But how did we used to say back in the old army days?

--Time spend on a recce is never time wasted...!

You just wait, Mr. Warty, my time will come,-- I now start to understand your routine....

Attachments

• DSCN3077.JPG
    DSCN3077.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN3091.JPG
    DSCN3091.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
The final chapter to this particular warthog spear-hunt...:talktothehand:

While again patiently waiting for maybe another chance,I observed another 'small one ' near me

24871d1390407146-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3127.jpg

later,after all the action [described earlier] here is the photo of the CSI scene
[observe the blood at the point of impact on the 'krip' wall]

24868d1390405503-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3109.jpg

This one expired inside of +-30 m

24872d1390407459-spear-hunting-africa-untitled.jpg

[A horrible but very effective and deadly wound!]

24869d1390405517-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3112.jpg

While I was waiting to be picked up afterwards,I spotted this small ass sleeping.

Well,I [wrongly!] thought by myself, as [s!] I'm a successful spear-hunter after all, having just solo hunted another warthog,so how difficult can it be to stalk a small sleeping donkey and try to touch it on the rump?:confused:
[Just to 'hone' the old stalking skills you know....?]

24866d1390405486-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3094.jpg

Aaaaah-there is nothing to deflate your ego more than a small ass making an big ass out of an old ass....! [lol]:eek:

24867d1390405494-spear-hunting-africa-dscn3095.jpg

I didn't even came close!:heh::heh:

Well hunting is all about enjoying ourselves while out there,even if it meant to hear your friends good naturedly laughing afterward about my inability to even stalk a small sleeping donkey![lol]

I had a wonderful day of hunting ,without a single dull moment!

Thanks for bearing with me making a long story out of a short one..

Until next time

Attachments

• DSCN3094.JPG
    DSCN3094.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN3095.JPG
    DSCN3095.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN3109.JPG
    DSCN3109.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN3112.JPG
    DSCN3112.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN3127.jpg
    DSCN3127.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN3127.JPG
    DSCN3127.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 250
Right on, Willem, it s all about having a good time :thumb:

Aaaaah-there is nothing to deflate your ego more than a small ass making an big ass out of an old ass?! :eek:

Observe, You have a way with words. Thanks for the photos and story.

Today I've got a small rock in my shoe.....:confused::confused:

And to think that I've let my pair go......

24940d1390748420-spear-hunting-africa-gku.png

According to my reasoning these piglets are about the same age teenager at the sows side and still too young [though I think mine is a tad older], eitherway, both must still learn a lot of 'things' from her before either are 'huntable'

I do not blame this hunter at all, and in fact I'm sure that in his hunting mind and reasoning he is doing it correctly from the blind.

I want to pose a question here, as spear hunting in Africa is a relatively new/young hunting discipline, and this question must be asked and debated for the good of hunting. ....

Where do we draw the line for ethical spear/bow hunting, as to me this has now become a grey area, the same as in some other hunting disciplines ??

This was a paid for guided hunt/safari with an inexperienced overseas hunter and an experienced local guide sitting with them in the blind.

24941d1390748425-spear-hunting-africa-untitled.png

The poor shot I can maybe understand [but not condone] but I mean here is this whole concept of shooting female animals with un-weaned young ones..?

...I do understand that varmint or some problem/excess animals must sometimes be taken off [I've done it myself] , but if you let the client pay for this given example as a hunt..... ?

[p.s. this was not culling]

Just wondering....

Attachments

• gku.png
    gku.png
    552.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 295
A very good hunting spear from cold steel....:clap::clap::)

[Could you see it at first?] lol!:cool:

Beware,maybe not for sensitive viewers who does not like the naked blade.......:alligator:

[You HAVE been warned !:happywave::happywave::p]

Attachments

• cs.jpg
    cs.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 219
sit-jpg.30416
Ethical spear hunting the primitive way......Flat on my tummy in the cow-pen busy to leopard crawl after another warthog with my spear, and then this happened at 6 m! No chance to make a move [Too close to stand up and throw--there would've been too much movement for the distance]!]. Man the small pepper ticks really got me for this yet another failed stalk! [lol!] Aaah, ,but as always--it's the hunt [stalk]
and not the kill that matters!

Attachments

• SIT.JPG
    SIT.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 397
Amazing stalk.

Pretty well impossible situation with a spear.

You got in that close to the cattle and they were not standing staring at you and making a ruckus?

Amazing stalk.

Pretty well impossible situation with a spear.

You got in that close to the cattle and they were not standing staring at you and making a ruckus?

+1 My thoughts exactly.

At the time I were in the presence of the cows for some time and just started crawling when mother and piglets came unseen from behind the cows from the right --I spotted a big boar coming in from the far right and was just preparing to stalk him when this happened......
Aw well,I got busted many times that day!
Here I sat in a thorn tree for 4 hours [very uncomfortably thank you!] when I got busted by the inquisitiveness--of all things-- by that young one! [lol]
It was great fun being out there so close,oh so close.
As always,its the hunt[stalk/experience] and not the kill that matters to me while solo spear hunting.
DSCN5440.JPG

when your in the tree like this ,willem how often does your shadow give you away ?

Yes,that first day ,my shadow must get the blame--the second day I've got a cammo net between the branches with me and it helped some. This one went from 0=100 in 2 sec flat with the afterburners working very well! lol

t's the first time that I observe warthogs looking UP! [LOL]
DSCN5603.JPG

he is certainly spinning the back wheels .
ive always been of the understanding ,that it was physically impossible for a pig to look up .
maybe just another ole wives tale ive been told when l was once younger .

With good cammo,some of them got really close........
DSCN5585.JPG

I see you´re still going strong, Willem (y)

Aaah,you're only as old as you wish to be!
DSCN4837.JPG

image0088.jpg

that is presisely what my lovely grandma used to say , willem

Thanks guys,for all the pm that I received,and here is some general info on my ethical spear and hunting philosophy......
[I don't care about tv ratings.or deadlines, so busted warthog stalks are still an enjoyment and not a disappointment to me...]

Firstly,.for various reasons, I prefer the bigger spear in the range of 4 from cold steel,-- for one because is more versatile and multi - purpose to me, but as always,it's horses for courses.....

Specifications:
Head: 18 1/2"
Overall Length: 82 1/8"
Steel: SK-5 Medium Carbon
Weight: 4 1/4 LBS.
Blade Thickness: 3/32"
Handle: Premium American Ash Shaft
Sheath: Secure-Ex®

As you can see here on a previous photo,it penetrates right through [slicing ribs ,organs etc,etc]--a fearsome wound channel!- It's all about honing your stalking skills and learning to closely observe your prey and nature,but if you get close enough and connect--that warthog is a goner.
DSCN3116.JPG

To keep it ethical,chance-takers and ego hunters best be discouraged,as its NOT about taking a chance if you get frustrated after yet another busted stalk!,

Only if you respect your quarry,and somehow manage to get within range,AND have a clear shot,only then you take it--you NEVER TRY to hit it--its a total different [ethical] hunting philosophy from some other hunting disciplines [hunters] where you anyway attempt to take a [difficult/not clear] shot [wind,distance,2nd animal behind, a twig in the way,sit and drive nearer on a vehicle,only trigger finger do some exercise etc,etc]
You must have a total new mindset and hunting skills to hunt ethically with a spear--but it's worth it!

There are a whole range of other ways to cull, shoot,kill, hunt etc warthogs-not what I'm talking about here--get out there, get [uncomfortable?] sunburn,thirsty,tick bitten,tired, dirty etc,but feel satisfied and content at the end of a hard day that you have tried your best ,have learned something new,and have new respect and are in awe with how wonderful nature is!

Keep it ethical and enjoy a whole new hunting world opening up for you [ as it did for me as an experienced rifle,handgun and bow-hunter for more than 40 years]

--Be patient, and remember, It's the hunt and not the kill that matters!

DSCN3066.JPG

...a defining split second moment in time [history?] in this spear hunters live and efforts after years of fruitless and foiled stalks, heat, sweat, ticks, thirst, body ace's, frustrations etc. [you name it!]...

I'm privileged and blessed to finally could have stalked this close with my spear with not much cover for help.
This one will go down for me as one of my best and finest ethical stalks and hunts in my life,and surpasses anything that I've done with my rifle,handgun or bow in more than 40 years of hunting!

Now I can finally sit back and think of the tale I'm going to tell my grandson around a future campfire with a photo as proof [and inspire?] him to maybe one day also took up the ethical spear hunting challenge...[?]
vv2.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you