Spear and Knife Hunting

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
I know it is a somewhat controversial topic within the hunting community, but has anyone here participated in either spear or knife hunting, either in Africa or more likely in the US? I am getting really interested in doing this at some point.

I stabbed a pig with a knife. It was an experience.

pig sticking in New Zealand. This is a common way of pig hunting here and I make a knife designed just for this type of hunting. Not something I would do but many do it this way.

I have used knives to "finish" wounded animals.

It´s tradition in most of Europe.

Hope @observe chimes in.
Thanks Jerome

Saul, There are different ways of hunting or stabbing a prey around the world--all imply up close and personal short range contact...

Yes, I hunt in Africa solo walk and stalk with only a spear . [no dogs]
I am an experienced hunter for more than 45 years with different calibers and animals, so spear hunting not just a whim or a try my luck sort of thing...

I have up to date hunted only a couple of single walking warthogs so far in 12 years of trying, but my Impala and Blue Wildebeest has eluded me up to now for 3 years.[Herd animals]

It is a very controversial form of hunting in this part of the world as most people don't know it, abuse it , or sometimes just out of plain ignorance paint it on the same level as poaching.

The way that I am doing it the ethical responsible way has a very-very low success rate, as I have to come within 10 meters of my prey, and THAT is not easy to begin with..

I have on many occasions not taken the throw after hours in the sun ,as I was not 100% sure in my own mind that it would be an ethical attempt with a high probability of killing the animal.

Real primitive and ethical spear hunting is definitely NOT an activity for the impatient or egocentric hunter that want brag about it or to just play Tarzan!
It is very different from following the dogs and then just finishing the cornered prey off.

It imply many unsuccessful hours of thirsty, hot, walking-and stalking or waiting patiently in a uncomfortable primitive on the spot ambush position , just for nothing to have happened after 8 hours when darkness fall.

It do teaches you stalking and observation skills on a whole new level , and respect and knowledge about your prey that you never needed or observed while hunting with a rifle or dogs.

It simply imply taking on a wild animal in its own environment where it is very alert and on it's home turf, but the day when you succeed...well, NONE of my rifle , handgun or bow and arrow hunts could touch it !

All the best, and keep it ethical.

10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks BenKK
I live in Africa.
This is youngster using a different than mine old light throwing Bushman of the Kalahari spear to harvest a crop raiding porcupine.
12347648_149422142087286_123256128194637718_n.jpg

...and on this occasion he spearhunted a young Warthog with the same light spear with his vicious killer hunting dog to follow the blood spoor afterwards...[lol]

vv.jpg

I personally use the bigger and heavier cold steel Boar Spear with 18 ' razor sharp blade maybe more suitable for stabbing.
To me the extra weight for penetration is worth it,as it give a horrible and deadly wound channel .
This spear blade is big enough to cause a 3' through and through wound on a Warthog.

SPEARd.jpg

Haft about 6' plus the blade on top of that.

h (2).jpg

Wow I really appreciate all of the insights so far! Keep them coming!

Thanks Saul and BenKK

I've done a lot of push-ups, pull-ups and throwing of a bigger rock apart of throwing the real spear many times into a bale of hay.

Apart from this 'training' , is to study the prey animal's anatomy and behaviour in the smallest detail. For example, when a warthog is relaxed and doesn't know that I am near, the tail and ears will 'hang' down---a good sign for me !

Of course, practice stalking, walking barefoot where possible, check the wind direction and especially the birds that can unexpectedly give you away!

This crop raiding baboon was already wounded with a good shot [30-06] during a rifle hunt and I stupidly thought that it was dead,so when I went to retrieve the carcass, I left the rifle at the jeep and only took the spear to part the long grass and for possible snakes.

It ambushed me and nearly got me , bar the spear ! Not one of my finest decisions out there, and as an experienced hunter , I should have known better! I take full responsibility for my own [wrong] actions that day.

Beware, as some animals can absorb a massive amount of bodily damage and still be deadly,unlike most of us humans, that would probably have perished with only half of the the same wound damage...

This kudu was leg caught in a snare when I came across it during a stroll will my spear in the bush looking for warthog. The spear did put it quickly and efficiently out of its misery as a stabbing tool. I couldn't get near enough with my knife to cut the throat due to those flashing horns.
So it can also not count as a 'spear hunt' in my book, only a kill.

I am feeling that I am getting a bit too old and out of shape now due to my job situation, but the fire is still burning in my soul for one last spear hunt.....lol

You youngsters, go for it but keep it ethical--it is not called for nothing during olden times 'the sport for kings...'

DSCN8600.JPG

Here is a picture of the shovel-nose spear and borndok my friend made for me. It’s not sharpened yet, and I haven’t thrown it. It needs an improvement (binding) he forgot at the borndok end to prevent splitting, and he’s yet to make my practice spear.

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Some hog spear hunting from horseback in Spain [ I think ?]

10388630_1401636283471328_8723686828779726495_n.jpg

13406759_1557495981218690_844134853718511564_n.jpg

And even Warthog spear hunting from horseback in Africa..
[not me ]

10452385_1401651373469819_777210903428599325_n.jpg

Last edited:
vvpg.jpg

I have used knives to "finish" wounded animals.

It´s tradition in most of Europe.

When I began to hunt, in our hunting society there was such a case: one hunter, Colonel, came to the seriously wounded wild boar to finish him. Boar found the strength to hit the hunter in the thigh, cutting his artery. They died almost at the same time, didn't have time to get to the hospital. It was said that the Colonel was let down by the fact that he wanted to demonstrate his new hunting knife.
However, such hunting exists - with dogs and a knife, mainly for piglets. There is a category of hunters who do not like too much noise :) as a spear sometimes bayonet from Mosin on the pole used. Even better - the bayonet from the rifle Berdan. Such hunting was described by the Russian writer Nikolay Tolstoy, Leo Tolstoy's brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross