TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska, Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
I have done most of my hunting on my own from a spare camp. I realize there is no DIY safari but is there a way to experience the wild of Africa without all the accomodations, servants?

I am very interested in a hunt for Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu, Zebra, Nyala, and perhaps one of the small antelopes. The thought of being catered to however makes me want to puke. Can a wild hunt in a wild place still be arranged?

In South Africa and Namibia (and maybe others) the government requires a certain level of service to be provided to any clients booked. You may call it "catered to" but in most cases it's required and they have worked very hard to provide excellent services in what might be considered a 3rd world arena. You have no idea how hard they work to do what they do. Now, that being said, you might be able to arrange what you want by talking to the outfitters themselves but remember, they live where you'll be hunting and might not want to sleep on the ground during a hunt. :) You're not going on an elk hunt in the mountains, eating cold beans out of a can in the snow. Now I do know of someone you can hunt with in Namibia that has a "spike camp" out in the sand dunes of the Kalihari where you'll see hundreds of gemsbuck, dozens of eland and maybe a thousand springbok in on herd. Trust me, if you camp there you'll get what you want . I'll send you a PM message. I have no financial connection with him except I have hunted with him twice in 4 yrs.

There are "chasse libre" hunts still offered in Central Africa (i.e. Cameroon). These probably come closest to what you are looking for in Africa.

The most spartan hunts I have been on are the auction hunts in the Zambezi river valley. You get a tent site on the Zambezi. However, those areas are not the best for your entire list of plains game.

I have done most of my hunting on my own from a spare camp. I realize there is no DIY safari but is there a way to experience the wild of Africa without all the accomodations, servants?

I am very interested in a hunt for Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu, Zebra, Nyala, and perhaps one of the small antelopes. The thought of being catered to however makes me want to puke. Can a wild hunt in a wild place still be arranged?

Marius has a cabin that is the closest to what an RSA hunter tends to use when they hit the bush. "Ruff It"
"Ruff it" Lodge - KMG Hunting Safaris

Thanks Guys, Cliffy I'm checking him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you