Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
A while back I posted a report on a fabulous Gredos Ibex hunt in which I participated October a year ago with Great Spanish Hunts (Link to report: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/spain-gredos-ibex-hunting-in-spain.32598/). Great hunt, incredible terrain, wonderful people, and a lovely ram. http://www.greatspanishunts.com/en/

At the start of the hunt, I was asked if I had any objections to the Spanish Park Service sending along a videographer to film the hunt for a program which would run on Spanish TV. The idea was to show a foreign hunter's experience hunting the Gredos. I said sure, and the folks in Spain recently forwarded the product that aired. It is in Spanish with no subtitles, but the photography and production values are superb. I would ask everyone not to laugh too loudly at my dubbed voice at the end! It does give a really good idea of the terrain and style in which these hunts take place. My spouse and I combined the hunt with a vacation in Spain, and we enjoyed it so much we are going back in October of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent shot! What a magnificent animal! Very handsome. Thanks for sharing!

What a great hunt! I've been to Spain three times and would really like to hunt their one day. That hunt looked like it would have been perfect for your little Rigby.

Yes.

Used their rental rifle (sometimes complicated playing armed tourist in Europe). Accurate Browning A Bolt in .300 WM with Leica glass.

So, that was you....I had seen the hunt on TV !

I really like the part when they say that as a good american hunter, your main priority was to hunt an old animal.

Well congrats, that was a great hunt and a very nice Gredos Ibex. Hope you do as well this year.

Very cool hunt. Bucket list for sure. Do you have the trophy back from the taxidermist yet?

I liked the paved path heading up the mountain and having a guide smart enough to have you shoot one in the "flats" up in the mountains. So much easier to deal with when they are taken in the meadows.

Nice shot, I expected nothing less.

The "production" surrounding the measuring was quite a show. Was it about 85cm? (I sure do not understand Spanish)
What a gorgeous countryside to hunt in.

Thanks for sharing.

I liked the paved path heading up the mountain and having a guide smart enough to have you shoot one in the "flats" up in the mountains. So much easier to deal with when they are taken in the meadows.

Nice shot, I expected nothing less.

The "production" surrounding the measuring was quite a show. Was it about 85cm? (I sure do not understand Spanish)
What a gorgeous countryside to hunt in.

Thanks for sharing.
At my age, I am ecstatic to find any fairly level path on a mountain.

I really don't remember the actual measurements. I booked for a bronze and this guy was less than a centimeter from silver. I was more concerned about a really old ram. We passed on a couple 10-11 year old billies, one of which is discussed in the video (either of which would have been a bit more challenging angle of engagement). Apparently, the ideal one to take in this area is 12 years old. This old fellow was 13 (the measurers were really happy with that), and we were lucky rather than good to locate him entering the end of a meadow.

By the way, according to my ap, we did 24k's the first day - 12 up the mountain and 12 down.

It is a truly glorious region. A Roman road, still in use to move cattle herds between winter and summer pasture, cuts right across the mountains. We saw several boar, and had we seen a trophy animal, I was free to take one, but none was particularly large. The Gredos are also quite near Madrid - perhaps two hours from the airport. Very convenient for a combination hunt and European vacation. As I noted above, we had so much fun we are headed back in October of this year.

Last edited:
So, that was you....I had seen the hunt on TV !

I really like the part when they say that as a good american hunter, your main priority was to hunt an old animal.

Well congrats, that was a great hunt and a very nice Gredos Ibex. Hope you do as well this year.
Glad to hear it actually aired! The park service game manager who acted as the chief hunting guide was a truly splendid fellow.

Well done. Bucket list for me.

Two hours from Madrid, your killing me, My brother and sister in-law live in Madrid. How many days did the hunt take?

Two hours from Madrid, your killing me, My brother and sister in-law live in Madrid. How many days did the hunt take?
Booked for three days - took the Ibex on day two. Could have hunted a boar or fallow stag day three, but we went shopping for leather goods and lace on day three. Stayed in a very comfortable ranch home that has been in the family for more than a hundred years. They dropped us at our hotel in Madrid at the conclusion of the hunt. I would urge you to shoot Ignacio an email at the web address above. Really terrific people.

A few days ago you were hobnobbing with English rifle aristocracy. Now it's Spanish television. You keep this up, we're going to have to nickname you Hollywood!

@BRICKBURN , that ram measured 71,5 cm, with 23 cm bases, before the shot they were estimating 72/73. The one they saw the previous day was not considered, as they estimated it at less than 70. Those guys are really good with their estimations.

Being a 13 year old animal adds 4 CIC points to the trophy.

Okay Gen. @Red Leg sir, I went to Great Spanish Hunts website and have to ask the obvious question: On your next Ibex hunt with them, are you going to add a day to hunt your namesake, Red legged partridge? http://www.greatspanishunts.com/en/destinations/hunting-in-spain/red-legged-partridge/driven-shoot/
Probably not. On a driven bird hunt, I would really prefer to use my own guns, and that is more complication than I would like to deal with when also vacationing with Nancy. I can also make about three bird shooting trips to Argentina for the cost of the Spanish partridge hunt.

I can also make about three bird shooting trips to Argentina for the cost of the Spanish partridge hunt.

Ouch!!!!!!! Good call.

Great stuff, and your Spanish is excellent @Red Leg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilma6932

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg