Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I picked up this 11 mm on sat. for a very good price all matching numbers and a ex bore. their are some issues with the out side metal, pitting on the exposed metal-barrel-bands-rear sight. the wood is very good condition, no cracks-splits or major dings. I have had a few over the years and enjoyed shooting them and I think this one will be a ex shooter.

DSCN0286 (2).JPG
DSCN0287 (2).JPG
DSCN0288 (2).JPG
DSCN0289 (2).JPG
DSCN0291.JPG
DSCN0293.JPG
DSCN0294.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The ultimate in black powder fire power.....

The perfect tool for Gert's 1885 black powder hunt in RSA next year.

Hope to meet you.

HWL

Congrats. I have a friend who has a very nice one.

Another one of those rifles I wish I had never sold.

What I especially like about the rifle is it held, best I can remember 10 rounds in the tube magazine, and the side selector that locked the feed tray turning it into a single shot.

How about some more specs and details about this rifle just so we all don't have to go and look it up?

The rifle was constructed by Mauser, and invented by the imperial army in 1884.

At it's time, it was the most advanced black powder military rifle.

Two years later, it was obsolete.

In 1886, the french invented the 8mm Lebel rifle, a quantum leap in military technology.

German answer took two years, and in 1888 they invented the commision rifle in 8mm Mauser caliber.

The 71/84 rifle saw action in colonial wars in the 1890s and 1900s.

German soldiers loved it and prefered it, because it had superior stopping power in close combat.

So it does, even today.

HWL

43 Mauser! Hope it shoots well and with a good bore it should. Closest I have is a 43 Spanish in '79 Remington Rolling Block. I've never shot that era rifle in a bolt repeater- very cool! The 43 Mauser and 43 Spanish are very very close cousins. I had a hard time getting any accuracy with the readily available cast bullets until I just designed my own mold at Mountain Molds.

My 43 Spanish has a groove diameter slugged at .440. The bore twist is 1:20. The cast MM bullets I designed work like a charm. Kind of a flat spire point, grease groove bullet with gas check, fairly soft alloy @ about 12 BHN and sized to .442. Light loads of smokeless to about 1200 fps are very accurate with no leading.

I shot the 71/84 four times with a friends reloads using reformed win 45-90 cases with 29 grs imr 4198 an 380gr cast bullets (small puff of cotton ball filler). they shoot a little high at 50 yards and chronied 1190-1233 fps. no signs of pressure and the action worked smooth with out a hitch.

And that will knock the stuffing out of a deer.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg