Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI and DSC Lifetime
Hunted
Bongo, Dwarf Buffalo, Duiker
Was fortunate to travel to Spain last month and accomplish the Slam. for whatever reason a trip last August with Bonnet Plume outfitters for Dall Sheep in the Yukon got me on this crazy sheep/goat quest. I am obsessed with doing the hard stuff while my battered arthritic knees can take the hiking.

So, even during the Dall sheep hunt I was thinking about the sheep slam (working on it) but then called Global Sporting Safari's Derek Amadio at Rick Kennerknecht request (also w Global) and we came up with a 10-day trip plan.

I flew from San Antonio to Paris (got a Yotel room for 5 hrs sleep) and then headed to Valencia where i met my guide/interpreter and driver Marius Nilca who took me to the La Espadella lodge owned by Jose Louis Falonir about 3 hrs NE of Valencia near Cati.

So, get out your google maps. Here are the locations for the 4: Beciete- Monroyo, Sierra Neveda/Grenada-- Velez de Benaudalla, Ronda -- Cortes de la Frontera and Gredos in Madrigal de la Vera inside the Sierra de gredos Regional Park.

All in all we drove quite a bit. Had rather crummy weather with intermittent rain, cold, gusty winds and some great hikes and vistas. heck, it snowed in Madrid. We stayed at 3 and 4 star (out of 4 stars) hotels or lodges and had great food. Great wine and as you can tell from one photo below, great fun as we serenaded the restaurant after the Ronda harvest.
DSCN0101.JPG
IMG_1496.PNG
IMG_1415.JPG
DSCN0177.JPG
IMG_1501.PNG

Looks like a hell of a good time.
Congratulations on some nice mountain trophies....

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing!

Congrats!!! Going back for a second Gredos and a big boar or two in October. Nothing like a six or seven year old Riojas to make you sing! ;)

Fine animals - well done.

Looked like a great hunt. Congratulations.

Congratulations.

Congrats!!! Going back for a second Gredos and a big boar or two in October. Nothing like a six or seven year old Riojas to make you sing! ;)

Fine animals - well done.

Absolutely loved the country and its people. Looking forward to a return trip. Be safe.

Congrats! I always wanted to do the same hunt! I have watched so much film on these hunts! Looks like you had a blast!

All 4 in 10 days seems like a quick trip so to speak. Did you hire a rifle or take your own? Several of your Ibex seem to have very good mass. Perhaps you could give us some details of the stalks and shots. Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats
Bruce

I used their gun a 300 WSM.
It was a hustle getting from point to point but there wasn’t a rushed feeling to it. The game is abundant and my hunt was for Silver and choices were plentiful. All locations were hike, spot and stalk. Longest shot at about 350 and shortest was at 180 yds. I’ll include some terrain photos when I get to laptop. There was a lot of up and down to find good glassing venues.

The Ibex can see really well and as you’d guess typically were at the higher elevations looking around. The Ronda were immune to the weather. It was 40 F, with 30 mph gusts and rain and wasn’t impacting them at all. They looked at us and laughed.

All shots were either lying over some big boulders or bracing against a scrub oak tree. Typical scope time was from 30 mins to 5 mins. Patience was key. In big herds whIch was typical, the local guide or game keeper would select the target. All four places my game was anywhere from 1/4 to 1 inch below Gold standard all solid Silvers. And thank god too, the additional fee was in the $8000 per animal for a Gold Gredos.

I never felt pushed or hurried to shot a pisswillie. My interpreter and I predetermined that he’d speak up if I was pushed.

Well done, looks like a great time was had!

Congrats good trophies, glad you enjoyed your hunt !

And yes we did have some lousy weather...for Spain ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the area. I really enjoy seeing the whole story of the area that is hunted.

Looks like a first class adventure.

Nice! On my short list.

Very nice and congrats. On that trip is it set up like a package with the VAT included or separate? Only asking because I want to do that trip in a few years. Thanks.

The package did include a firm fixed price so that VAT and exchange rate was not a factor. Global Sporting did this and it was way smarter than I would have done

Just reading this now, looks like a heck of a trip. Congrats!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg