Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
I spent four days in Asturias, a region in the north of Spain with lots of mountains, hills, deep valleys, trees, tall grass, and a healthy population of roe deer, boars, wolves and bears.

We drive the higher we can before daybreak, and then gradually work down the valley, glassing every pasture where they come to feed. If we don´t see anything of interest, we move to a different area and repeat the process.

I had a tag for a roe deer, and shot this one on my second hunting day. It is an unusual animal, as it has long straight horns, which are extremely dangerous for the other males it may fight with, which is why we call them "killers".

He was feeding at the bottom of a valley very early in the morning, about 150 meters away. I took the shot at about a 45º angle with my Remington 700 Mountain .243 Win. with RWS Teilmantel-S 6,5g (100 grains). Heart-lung shot dropped him like a stone, he was very fat and healthy and should be very tasty !

IMG_0567_zpsvgmoy7sc.jpg

IMG_0569_zpsojlhyb7w.jpg

IMG_0571_zpskwvynlsd.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0571_zpskwvynlsd.jpg
    IMG_0571_zpskwvynlsd.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0569_zpsojlhyb7w.jpg
    IMG_0569_zpsojlhyb7w.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 328
Wonderful! Roe is going to be one of my next trips, if not THE next trip.

Sounds like you had a good time. Congrats. Bruce

Congratulations on getting dinner.

That little sneak peak of the countryside is gorgeous. Plenty for the deer to eat.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Good buck to take.
Roe with long straight antlers like this are called 'murder bucks' here due to the fact when fighting, the long straight beams can get past the usual roe antler configuration and severely injure or kill a rival animal which might well be better breeding material than this type of animal.
This one has a back point on one antler so some purists might not regard it as a true murder buck but it's as near as dammit.

Looks like you did very well sir! Congrats

Congrats and thanks for sharing! This is on my list to do one day!

Very cool animal and looks like beautiful country. Congrats!

Congrats! Beautiful trophy!

I spent four days in Asturias, a region in the north of Spain with lots of mountains, hills, deep valleys, trees, tall grass, and a healthy population of roe deer, boars, wolves and bears.

We drive the higher we can before daybreak, and then gradually work down the valley, glassing every pasture where they come to feed. If we don´t see anything of interest, we move to a different area and repeat the process.

I had a tag for a roe deer, and shot this one on my second hunting day. It is an unusual animal, as it has long straight horns, which are extremely dangerous for the other males it may fight with, which is why we call them "killers".

He was feeding at the bottom of a valley very early in the morning, about 150 meters away. I took the shot at about a 45º angle with my Remington 700 Mountain .243 Win. with RWS Teilmantel-S 6,5g (100 grains). Heart-lung shot dropped him like a stone, he was very fat and healthy and should be very tasty !

View attachment 187757

IMG_0569_zpsojlhyb7w.jpg

IMG_0571_zpskwvynlsd.jpg

I'm surprized just how small roe deer are. That's not to detract from the trophy in any manner.
Congratulations all the Dave on your fine trophy.

Congratulations on taking a potential killer out of the genetics pool! Thanks for sharing.

R.

I'm surprized just how small roe deer are. That's not to detract from the trophy in any manner.
Congratulations all the Dave on your fine trophy.

Max. weight would be 35 kgs. this is an old fellow, you can tell by the color on his face black and pepper (just like me :LOL:). He was really fat and healthy.

Waidmannsheil !Congrats to this old devil.
Just comming from (dry)Adalusia and be surprised how green Asturia is.
Beautiful.

Great trophy! I see why he would be called a "killer" with those long daggers!

A nice trophy, congratulations. Making a heart / lung shot on this small of an animal at a 45 degree angle puts you in elite company in my book.

Waidmannsheil !Congrats to this old devil.
Just comming from (dry)Adalusia and be surprised how green Asturia is.
Beautiful.

I knew you would like that one Foxi ;)

There is a big difference in humidity between the north of Spain along the Atlantic sea and the rest of the country.

A nice trophy, congratulations. Making a heart / lung shot on this small of an animal at a 45 degree angle puts you in elite company in my book.

Thank you @Shootist43, I have been a target shooter since I was in the Army and very interested in ballistics before I became a hunter, and that helps in the field.

@Nyati Wonderful trophie! congrats!

Good buck to take.
Roe with long straight antlers like this are called 'murder bucks' here due to the fact when fighting, the long straight beams can get past the usual roe antler configuration and severely injure or kill a rival animal which might well be better breeding material than this type of animal.
This one has a back point on one antler so some purists might not regard it as a true murder buck but it's as near as dammit.

True! it was a very good choice.

Max. weight would be 35 kgs. this is an old fellow, you can tell by the color on his face black and pepper (just like me :LOL:). He was really fat and healthy.

in Poland 25kg it's a monster! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg