South Texas Whitetail hunt

Wildlife Systems. Greg Simons is owner and a friend of mine. He has great STX hunts. We went on our first safari together in ‘97 and I’ve guided for him over the years

Thank-you Muskox . As usual when I ask for advice on this forum it pours in.
As of right now it looks like I will be hunting the Mariposa Ranch in South Texas. 45,000 acres of free range whitetails and Nilgai adjacent to King Ranch . It is my understanding that their bucks will average in the 130's and I will see south Texas deer hunting for four days
The vast majority of the Ranches I called did not answer and multiple calls were not returned. I guess I was looking for a good hunt among operations that could not be bothered by a customer calling .
My desire to best my 160's class deer will be a more local affair. Thinking here in the northwest possibly saskatchewan/ Alberta .
Thanx again everybody

I think they gave you a very fair estimate of the buck quality with that 130 avg. I'd say 130-140 is very doable in that area with the occasional 150+ and the rare 170+. They are 60 miles to the South of me. Unfortunately as I advised you over the phone, we are in a drought in that area for the moment and if rain doesn't begin yesterday, I suspect the antler growth will be down slightly.

Carter's Country is a well known gun store, with four locations, in the Houston area. They also have three hunting ranches, two in Texas and one in Colorado. You can check out the price lists for various size deer, but it looks like a 180 class white tail will set you back $15k or so.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.58.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.58.08 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 92
Have a hell of a good time and post a report.

Last edited:
Thank-you Muskox . As usual when I ask for advice on this forum it pours in.
As of right now it looks like I will be hunting the Mariposa Ranch in South Texas. 45,000 acres of free range whitetails and Nilgai adjacent to King Ranch . It is my understanding that their bucks will average in the 130's and I will see south Texas deer hunting for four days
The vast majority of the Ranches I called did not answer and multiple calls were not returned. I guess I was looking for a good hunt among operations that could not be bothered by a customer calling .
My desire to best my 160's class deer will be a more local affair. Thinking here in the northwest possibly saskatchewan/ Alberta .
Thanx again everybody

You might want to forget about the whitetail and go after a Nilgai. Some of the best eating game meat around. Also, the hunt is very similar to an African PG hunt. Most of the operators require a 300 WM or larger, citing the thick, tough hide of the Nilgai. I've hunted Mota Bonita twice (same general area as Mariposa Ranch) , which is part of the KR, and taken Nilgai both time. The terms of our hunts was we could only shoot 150"+ whitetails and never saw one.

Carter's Country is a well known gun store, with four locations, in the Houston area. They also have three hunting ranches, two in Texas and one in Colorado. You can check out the price lists for various size deer, but it looks like a 180 class white tail will set you back $15k or so.

The Carter’s are good people.

There are also water buff to be had such as this bull my friend took up near Hondo.
Talk about a lot of meat!
55231_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross