Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
Looking for recommendations for whitetail deer hunt for big deer in south Texas. High fence or low . Thank-you

As I'm sure you know "big" has become relative in the S TX deer world. Big for high fence, breeding programs might be 300"+. Big on high fence, native deer would be 200"+ and big on low fence would be 180"+. What's your goal here? And counter intuitive to most, the less the deer scores on my scale above, the more it will costs you :D

I have hunted whitetail all my life both bow and gun. My big boy is a 165 I took in Maryland. Now I mostly hunt Montana.always heard about how everything is bigger in Texas. I thought I would take a look. My goal is 190-210 . My other goal is to see the place . No small properties.

If you can get on the King try Mariposa.

There are better deals on game ranches in Saskatchewan if you are just looking for a big buck.

Thankyou any recommendations for Saskatchewan

If you can get on the King try Mariposa.

There are better deals on game ranches in Saskatchewan if you are just looking for a big buck.
In neither place are you going to shoot a 180 unless the sun moon and stars aligned perfectly. For instance, I have hunted Nilgai and quail on the King fairly regularly the last few years and see dozens of bucks every trip. I have seen some magnificent animals, but I have yet to see a 180 class.

You almost certainly will need to hunt behind a fence. There are two types of fenced operations - one that manages a native herd through selective shooting, and the more common deer factory where the genetic freaks are mass produced and released. In either case, size is a function of budget.

The vast majority of the free range operations will advertise 150-180 class deer. However, actually taking such a free range 180 whether from Texas or Saskatchewan or Iowa is a pretty rare commodity regardless of the advertisement. You could spend years on guided hunts and never have the opportunity to shoot one.

The best that I have shot off of my place is 140 Gross, 138 7/8 Net which is currently not fenced. (I have a photo posted of said deer under my media section) I have seen bigger, but never able to shoot bigger. If you want bigger then that, you are going to have to find a place that protein feeds year round, most likely a high fence operation. As @Red Leg said your choice will be selective breeding and feeding or the deer factory with freaks.

Thanx to all of you especially red leg who probably needs to be paid as a consultant! I don’t want frankendeer but I do want a whopper typical so I guess I am after selective breeding .

Thanx to all of you especially red leg who probably needs to be paid as a consultant! I don’t want frankendeer but I do want a whopper typical so I guess I am after selective breeding .

You are going to want to find a place in or near Webb County, that's generally where the biggest deer are found, low fenced. You are going to pay big money for 180+. You will pay general by B&C score (gross), but B&C will not take the high fence deer in their Record Book. Good luck finding a place.

I dont care about record books. just want the buck, a fun hunt on a large property and see a place i have never been before.
i am considering Lazy CK ranch 7000 acre property divided into 5 sections .

Let me rephrase my prior post. The biggest naturally occurring White-tail deer in Texas are found in and around Webb County. All of South Texas is known for large deer with large horns. Closest city Laredo.

The Texas Hill Country is a beautiful area to visit, but known for tons of small sized deer. Larger deer from that area are not naturally occurring. I am not familiar with that operation, but know the area well. It looks like a very nice operation and appears to have good reviews.

thanx weshelton ! I am learning !

I've seen monsters in Flathead Valley, near Kalispell/Columbia Falls/Whitefish

try to get a tag!

As an East Texas kid I dreamed non stop of hunting South Texas. It has changed a lot since then. A lot more high fences (which I don't mind as much), shit ton of breeder operations, and paying by the inch. I was always more keen on paying a flat fee and seeing what you can drag out personally.

That said, there are some great ranches. Not sure what your budget is but check out the Somberito, La Perla, Rancho Encantado, and Briscoe.

calls into encantado and la perla - great info thanx

Thankyou any recommendations for Saskatchewan
I don't know any of these dudes. My uncle fishes with a guy that owns a preserve up there, and has huge deer but I don't remember who it is. He has pure European wildboars, elk, deer and some other stuff. I can't find his website.

These ones I have seen on youtube and other hunting shows.

https://www.hartlanddeer.com/hunts/ This guy has been on Keith Warren

Thank-you Muskox . As usual when I ask for advice on this forum it pours in.
As of right now it looks like I will be hunting the Mariposa Ranch in South Texas. 45,000 acres of free range whitetails and Nilgai adjacent to King Ranch . It is my understanding that their bucks will average in the 130's and I will see south Texas deer hunting for four days
The vast majority of the Ranches I called did not answer and multiple calls were not returned. I guess I was looking for a good hunt among operations that could not be bothered by a customer calling .
My desire to best my 160's class deer will be a more local affair. Thinking here in the northwest possibly saskatchewan/ Alberta .
Thanx again everybody

As of right now it looks like I will be hunting the Mariposa Ranch in South Texas. 45,000 acres of free range whitetails and Nilgai adjacent to King Ranch . It is my understanding that their bucks will average in the 130's and I will see south Texas deer hunting for four days
The vast majority of the Ranches I called did not answer and multiple calls were not returned. I guess I was looking for a good hunt among operations that could not be bothered by a customer calling .
My desire to best my 160's class deer will be a more local affair. Thinking here in the northwest possibly saskatchewan/ Alberta .
Thanx again everybody
From a quality of the hunt perspective, you have chosen wisely. Likely not see a 180, but you have a real chance of equaling or bettering your best, and it won't be a freak show attraction. Have a grand hunt. I'll be on the King Monday & Tuesday week after next trying to find a big, old Nilgai.

The area you will be hunting is quintessential coastal South Texas. You will see all sorts of wildlife and flora that is unique to that region.

Thanx again everybody

While that's a great South Texas area, it's a 150 miles east from where you want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg