South African Professional Hunter shot

So let me play devil's advocate a moment with regard to dangerous game.

I fully agree with every sentiment stated with regard to treating every firearm as loaded. I have no issue at all with a PH who wants me to carry my rifle unloaded while pursuing PG in an environment where contact with DG is impossible or extremely unlikely. However, and it is a big however, I will not pursue buffalo (or elephant) without a round chambered and the rifle on safe or de-cocked from the moment we set off on the track. Should a PH not want to agree to that, I would fully understand, but we would go hunt something else. I have yet to encounter that situation.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this post. I realize it’s old, but how often does this happen?
I know more PH's who were injured by their nervous clients, or heard the bullet whistled around the ears than by DG.
My Zambian PH Hartley always said:the guest is my danger, not the buffalo.
But some PHs are also to blame and educate their clients to stupidity.Rifle horizontal on the shoulder, hand on the barrel.
Yes it looks cool and then you hear it is yes secured, have you not so !!!!
If you would carry your rifle with us so you get immediately a violent kick in the ass and rightly so.

How much, an average Joe hunter shoots per year? I think not much, less then box of ammo per year. The average hunter is not as skilled, as I would like him to be.

Rifle ususally sits in locker at home, till next season. It is tested by few shots before the hunt (if at all), and then a shot or two during hunting. Then goes back in the locker.

There are exemptions, of course. But there are still a good number of hunters as described, with cronic lack of training, which just because they own a rifle, think they are safe and profficient with it.

Now, my bad experience came not during hunting, but during training session at the range.
My friend and me we were training on local range regularly. Few times per month
So, one day he invited his friend, (an average Joe hunter, as per my descritpion) to join our training session. There were only three of us at the range that morning.

After several shots fired at target, I went to change the paper targets.
I told both of them - the range is COLD, no shots to be fired while I change the targets.
But they were talking between themsleves, and probably did not notice what I told them.
So, I went to change the paper targets, falsly feeling safe.

There is a trench at 50 meters, and at 100 meters range.
I went to change the target at 50 mtr range. In trench I am protected but if I stretch my arms up and out, they are in the line of fire,
I removed the old target.
I placed the new target, and stapled it, I had both hands on target at that moment.
At that time the shot was fired by a this guest-hunter, which I call Joe, and I got a hole on paper between my hands.
If he shot me in the hand, with soft point hunting bullet, I would be crippled for ever.

I finished the training for the day.
The guy appologized to me. My firend appologized to me,
Later I told my buddy never to bring this guy back on the training with me.
I never saw that guy later ever in my life. (I guess he is still on a box of ammo per year)

I always remember this, and frequently ask my self, how many of such clients and hazardous profile gun owners that proffesional hunters and guides take to hunting fields everyday?

I work in Nuclear Security at a power plant. I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. Only negligent discharge, I truly believe that if you follow the four core safety rules of weapons handling none of these instance should occur. My PH has confidence in my abilities as I have hunted with him on four separate occasions. Do your PHs a favor, practice with your weapon before arriving and realize that safaris are not a walk in the park, they can be mentally and physically exhausting. They do their best to put you on quality animals and try to provide the best trip available for the clients. Speedy recovery to any injured individuals who get mentioned on this forum. With good fortune I will be back in Namibia next fall (Spring /summer over there.)

I like the so called Africa carry and employ it often while hunting. I dont however let it cover anyone in front of me, be it PH or tracker. I dont use that carry all the time, preferring to rotate from that to Boone carry to soldier style to just balance in either hand. No carry is good for all day.
I have hunted Africa 8 times in 5 different countries and only one repeat PH, and none have ever insisted or even asked that I carry a rifle unloaded, even for PG.
I always however remove the round from the chamber in the car, in camp (fully unloaded) and make sure actions are open, chamber empty for photo sessions.
I cringe every time I see the muzzle pointing at someones head with action closed while the hunter poses with his trophy.

Why do people use the “Africa carry”? (cool guy matrix aside). Honestly, I don’t understand it. If you are on a forced march with an M60 or M240 (no belt in), or you are carrying a 90mm AT or an 81mm mortar tube, OK. To me, that type of carry is reserved for heavy weapons that do not need to be deployed anytime soon.

As long as you don’t sweep me with your muzzle, I could care less how anyone carries their firearm. Habitual unsafe and habitual safe firearm processes are very noticeable. They become subconscious acts.

Safe hunting!

Last edited:
It might also be for the reason - at least partially - that not all the rifles have slings.
But even in that case, I dont carry african style.

Louis Lategan (Melody safaris) was shot by one of his clients while hunting Busbuck a couple of days ago, the bullet passed through his arm and body, louis is doing well all of this considered and is strengthening in hospital.

Thought I would let everyone know.

My best

Hi Jaco you were me and Dad and sons PH when you were at Lincroma Safaris how have you been
Hannes Els was at an emergency hospital with malaria god was good and with prayers made it home same god will take care of this PH without question
It was April 2010 I’ve been trying to get back ever since how is the COVID situation regarding hunters from the states being able to come when I do come I will come to kwalata because me and my dad and son really enjoyed your professionalism and personality keep in touch please with a special on
3 cape buffs for next year if pandemic allows
Peter Holden is my name son dad same name
Hope all is well

on six hunting trips to africa i did not and would not walk in front of any one doing the so called african carry, i did bring up the end.

So let me play devil's advocate a moment with regard to dangerous game.

... However, and it is a big however, I will not pursue buffalo (or elephant) without a round chambered and the rifle on safe or de-cocked from the moment we set off on the track. Should a PH not want to agree to that, I would fully understand, but we would go hunt something else. I have yet to encounter that situation.

Exactly. Especially, in the jess. My PH stressed that we load up when I leave the truck and with safety on.

Also, some countries are not like RSA where one has minutes to load and take leisurely aim at PG. I missed a shot at a 60" kudu because I did not react fast enough. I had maybe 5 seconds for a shot and took me a bit longer to pick out the animal at 200 yards. By the time I was on the sticks and had the animal in my sights it was moving. Trying to load at that moment would make it even more impossible.

I've never understood the age limits placed on some to hunt. In my neck of the woods as soon as they stop pooping their pants they come hunting with us. As soon as they are big enough to tote it they have a BB gun in their hands to drag along for the hunt and get proper reinforcement by any and all the adults in the group if they mishandle it. The next move is to allow them to shoot the firearm their elder has brought to the event. The BB gun is only a training prop but makes the child feel they are participating. By the time they are old enough, which is young by most standards, to physically handle a true firearm they are also mentally aware of how to handle it and it is second nature to them like riding a bike. Accidents happen and will continue to happen. We are all subject to exhaustion, oversight, misunderstanding. That is why safety practices must be automatic, a function of muscle memory. I'd rather hunt with a 12 year old that has trained all their life to properly handle a firearm than a 30 year old that picked up the sport a few years back and practices it as a hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg