South African Farm Murders

So sad. Canada should forget about importing refugees from various Islamic states, and open the doors to white South Africans. They have skills, speak the language, share similar cultural values, may have some money, and want integrate.
But noooo, with our current King of Political Correctness, we only allow, Islamics, gays, transsexuals, trans gender, LGBQ whatever....

I am seriously thinking of flying DFW-FRA-WDH next time and bypass RSA all together.
Philip

It is sad. To bad the Mr and Mrs didn't have matching 375 H&H's with some solid projectiles, could have done a little target practice instead of being murdered.

I do not want to trivialize the deaths reported in this post or others...any human death is significant and is it to be taken seriously...but I can find similar stories in every country in the world...including the United States. I certainly did not feel any less safe while self-driving from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town in 2014 with my daughter than I do driving in the United States. I pay attention when and where I drive when I am at home and I did the same and felt very safe. I visited Washington, DC, Boston, New York, Cleveland, Detroit among others this summer and I stayed on major roads, kept a full tank of gas, drove during the day, etc. much as I did when driving around Cape Town.

Each perspective hunter/traveler needs to do their do diligence and make decisions that work for them...but my personal recommendation, for what its worth, is if you can find a way to go to Africa to hunt....do it! You can find someone on AH...either a hunter, outfitter, or both...who has already been where you are going who can give you the low down on recent conditions and reasonable safety precautions needed.

I do not want to trivialize the deaths reported in this post or others...any human death is significant and is it to be taken seriously...but I can find similar stories in every country in the world...including the United States. I certainly did not feel any less safe while self-driving from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town in 2014 with my daughter than I do driving in the United States. I pay attention when and where I drive when I am at home and I did the same and felt very safe. I visited Washington, DC, Boston, New York, Cleveland, Detroit among others this summer and I stayed on major roads, kept a full tank of gas, drove during the day, etc. much as I did when driving around Cape Town.

Each perspective hunter/traveler needs to do their do diligence and make decisions that work for them...but my personal recommendation, for what its worth, is if you can find a way to go to Africa to hunt....do it! You can find someone on AH...either a hunter, outfitter, or both...who has already been where you are going who can give you the low down on recent conditions and reasonable safety precautions needed.

There isn’t a large or medium city in the U.S. that I feel completely safe in.

@Scott Slough is right. You can find trouble if you go looking for it, big city to small town. Keep your wits about you, hold your head high and don't present yourself as an easy target.

I went to Morocco when the State Dept and my school said it wasn't safe, 21 years old and enjoyed it immensely. Went to Zim last year when the rumor was it wasn't safe. It was one of the best trips I had. I can take you to parts of DC right now that wouldn't be a good place to be. I feel bad for these people in RSA and it is a tragic loss but you can't live your life in fear.

When I first visited RSA, about 10 years ago, I only met one PH who carried a gun. This year I noticed most were either carrying, or had it in the bakkie.

Something there to think about !

I know of no airport in the U.S. where travelers are being robbed leaving the airport. Africa is UNSTABLE. RSA is UNSTABLE. Naivete can get you beaten, robbed or killed. Just because it was safe last year, two years ago or yesterday doesn't mean it will be safe tomorrow. As far as U.S. cities, yes, there are areas to avoid BUT they are usually well known and don't change on a daily basis like they do in Africa. Having said that, how about a weekend trip to Mogadishu? They haven't had any problems in a while. Wait a minute, didn't they just have a truck bombing over the weekend? I don't live my life in fear but I don't live it being stupid either.
On another note, my fishing outfitter in Moz, a South African, told me he was stopped at 29 check points/shakedowns the last time he drove through Zimbabwe. Four weeks ago from Tete to Cahora Bassa, our van was stopped three times. As far as I'm concerned, any foreigner who thinks he's going to drive around Africa willy nilly is delusional.

Last edited:
I know of no airport in the U.S. where travelers are being robbed leaving the airport. Africa is UNSTABLE. RSA is UNSTABLE. Naivete can get you beaten, robbed or killed. Just because it was safe last year, two years ago or yesterday doesn't mean it will be safe tomorrow. As far as U.S. cities, yes, there are areas to avoid BUT they are usually well known and don't change on a daily basis like they do in Africa. Having said that, how about a weekend trip to Mogadishu? They haven't had any problems in a while. Wait a minute, didn't they just have a truck bombing over the weekend? I don't live my life in fear but I don't live it being stupid either.
On another note, my fishing outfitter in Moz, a South African, told me he was stopped at 29 check points/shakedowns the last time he drove through Zimbabwe. Four weeks ago from Tete to Cahora Bassa, our van was stopped three times. As far as I'm concerned, any foreigner who thinks he's going to drive around Africa willy nilly is delusional.
The big exception being Namibia. I would have no problem driving myself around in Namibia. I have done so and will do so again. Just know where you are going, get there by dark, and always have someone watching the car.
Philip

IMG-20171026-WA0008.jpg

I don't even have a lock on my door in Mozambique, yet on the farm in South Africa... Slam proof bars, panic buttons, two way radios(back up), big dogs and lately forced to carry pistol on me. This is not out of choice but matter of urgency. Criminals see what our president gets away with....

I don't even have a lock on my door in Mozambique, yet on the farm in South Africa... Slam proof bars, panic buttons, two way radios(back up), big dogs and lately forced to carry pistol on me. This is not out of choice but matter of urgency. Criminals see what our president gets away with....

Don't have any of that here (except a lock) in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I bet there are other places in Mozambique though that you would have a lock on your door.

@Karoo Wild Safaris, the fact is that in South Africa crime is out of control. I am definitely not trying to knock SA, but this is the reality, I spent my school career in the Eastern Cape, and have plenty of friends with ranches there, not one I visited recently didn't have all kinds of security in place. Yes, there's crime in Mozambique, but not the violent and hateful crime that is taking place in Sa. You won't hear of an old couple on a farm in Mozambique burnt with irons, hot oil poured over them etc.

I am glad you safe in your area, but South Africans wouldn't all be up in arms if we were living in paradise. Murder is continues threat.

The latest crime stats. Just for interest.
2017-10-26 16.12.41.png
2017-10-26 16.13.31.png

Sure doesn't seem like the EC is any safer than elsewhere in SA.

There will always be "safer" spots, but that doesn't mean they are crime free and that it can't happen. Better to be safe than sorry and to have too much security than not enough, especially when your business relies on foreign clients. To not take security seriously is just asking for trouble, especially in a country where on farm murders have become the norm.

Sure doesn't seem like the EC is any safer than elsewhere in SA.

There will always be "safer" spots, but that doesn't mean they are crime free and that it can't happen. Better to be safe than sorry and to have too much security than not enough, especially when your business relies on foreign clients. To not take security seriously is just asking for trouble, especially in a country where on farm murders have become the norm.

Royal

I apologize if you interpreted my post to mean I thought our area was crime free. I can assure you no one is more aware of the crime here than South Africans living in SA. I have a small role in organized agriculture and rural safety and am not naive to the situation.

It's a problem that transcends racial boundaries. We tend to racialize everything in SA. The truth is that there is worse crime in the townships and the people are just as fed up as the farmers.

Farmers are in the early stages of planning protests. I'm a little concerned that the issue gets politicized and used by politicians for there own ends.

Royal

I apologize if you interpreted my post to mean I thought our area was crime free. I can assure you no one is more aware of the crime here than South Africans living in SA. I have a small role in organized agriculture and rural safety and am not naive to the situation.

It's a problem that transcends racial boundaries. We tend to racialize everything in SA. The truth is that there is worse crime in the townships and the people are just as fed up as the farmers.

Farmers are in the early stages of planning protests. I'm a little concerned that the issue gets politicized and used by politicians for there own ends.

Well stated Victor.

Thanks for the clarification!

The latest crime stats. Just for interest. View attachment 207558 View attachment 207559

Since you are "not bashing" South Africa Simon, maybe give us numbers on farm attacks per province alone. The numbers you have posted are really a mere indication of attacks per capita and include attacks from black on black. The Eastern Cape, Gauteng and Natal have a large population of Africans, which will inherently skew the results. Things get dealt with the African way. Period. If a city has 10 Million inhabitants and the murder rate was 1000 per year, comparing to a city with 10,000 people with a murder rate of 900 per year, which city is worse off?
This is not a racial statement by any means, but lets call it what it is. Are all the areas in the US dangerous, or do certain ethnic areas pose a greater risk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,