AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAHGCA, SAGA
Hunted
South Africa
Hi guys,

Ok so I have purchased a Browning A-Bolt Hunter II in .375 H&H Mag and am undecided and downright confused regarding choice of ammo. I am hoping the opinions of the great minds out there can help.

We unfortunately don't have the fantastic variety of ammo in South Africa that some of you in the America's do and I haven't started to reload... yet. Factory ammo is pricey for this calibre so hence the questions. The following factory ammo is what is available locally and would just like some opinions. I know not all rifles like the same ammo in terms of accuracy so I am looking for more the opinions based on experience of the terminal ballistics of this stuff. (Maybe some help with which is more accurate would also help hehehehe.) :)

1. Hornady 300gr DGX
  2. Hornady 270gr RP DGX Superformance
  3. Federal 300gr Nosler Partition
  4. Nosler Safari Partition 300gr (Ridiculously expensive!!!)
  5. PMP 300gr Soft
  6. Remington 300gr A-Frame (Also very pricey!)
  7. Remington 270gr SP
I am hunting Kudu, Wildebeest, Eland and Warthog in May 2015. The hunt is more a meat hunt than a trophy hunt but for sure if I see anything that is trophy material I will have a crack at it.

Now... from what I have researched on the net, forums and articles this is my take on the scene.

Apparently the DGX ammo fragments easily and spoils meat more than the rest. The Partition ammo rates highly but some complain its a bit soft for use on big game like Kudu and Eland. Remington A-Frames are great just very expensive and the Remington 270gr SP is apparently only good for target practice and sighting in scopes as it is not a great quality bullet. The PMP is a local bullet made by Denel here in SA but has a reputation that isn't outstanding. I cannot find Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo ANYWHERE. Not even the distributors and they can't tell me when they are getting more either.

Please help guys! I am assuming the local SA boys will be able to help regarding the PMP ammo but as for the rest, I am all ears.

Many thanks!

Stay far far away from PMP softs, they are crap. Attached is a photo of a Kudu cow I shot in the head, nostril to be exact, bullet failed to exit the skull and was broken up inside the head. Do PMP not make the African Elite in 375H&H?

As for the rest, you cannot go wrong with a A-Frame, would use them on anything you will hunt and then some.

P1000934.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My first choice would be the A-Frames. If I didn't want to pay for them, then go with the Federal 300gr Nosler Partitions. I dropped a 1000 pound plus moose with a 160gr Partition out of my 7mm Mag many moons ago. Can't believe a 300gr .375 can't handle an eland.

I've used the PMP in smaller caliber and they do fine on a side on rib shot. No other experience.
If there is going to be the slightest chance that there will be bush in the way go for a harder bullet.

I like fast and flat, so I would be leaning toward the 270 grain. Of the two you have listed I'd pick the Hornady.

Phil also made a good suggestion if you want the 300 grain.

Everything on your list will be dropping.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up using.

Thanks hunthardsafaris! So my suspicions were confirmed then regarding the PMP ammo. PMP do make African Elite but haven't found stock yet. I am slowly emailing various gun shops around the Johannesburg area to see their stocks and prices so I will keep searching. That kudu looks just plain NASTY!

Phoenix Phil, A-Frames are my next choice then definitely the Noslers. Too many bad reviews on the Hornady DGX to risk it... As soon as I start reloading it will be Barnes all the way!

Thanks guys!

The issue at the moment gents is what the suppliers have in stock. Many people swear by a 250gr bullet but no one has stock of factory stuff at this point.

Will do Brickburn, need to get the license issue sorted first then shoot the barrel and scope in. Plan on photo-documenting every target as the ammo flies and the scope gets tuned.

.................. As soon as I start reloading it will be Barnes all the way!
Thanks guys!

Exactly.

813985.jpg

I'll let you know how they work in Africa. They seem to do the trick here. :)

I have 150 reloaded and ready to go.
I walked into a store in Montana the other day and walked out with the last box of those bullets.
I'll be in Utah later this week and every gun store will be parting with powder and bullets if they have stock.

I managed to find Federal 300gr Soft Point ammo... Your thoughts gentlemen and ladies?

Hi guys,

The following factory ammo is what is available locally and would just like some opinions. I know not all rifles like the same ammo in terms of accuracy so I am looking for more the opinions based on experience of the terminal ballistics of this stuff. (Maybe some help with which is more accurate would also help hehehehe.) :)

1. Hornady 300gr DGX
  2. Hornady 270gr RP DGX Superformance
  3. Federal 300gr Nosler Partition
  4. Nosler Safari Partition 300gr (Ridiculously expensive!!!)
  5. PMP 300gr Soft
  6. Remington 300gr A-Frame (Also very pricey!)
  7. Remington 270gr SP
I am hunting Kudu, Wildebeest, Eland and Warthog in May 2015. The hunt is more a meat hunt than a trophy hunt but for sure if I see anything that is trophy material I will have a crack at it.

Now... from what I have researched on the net, forums and articles this is my take on the scene.

Apparently the DGX ammo fragments easily and spoils meat more than the rest. The Partition ammo rates highly but some complain its a bit soft for use on big game like Kudu and Eland. Remington A-Frames are great just very expensive and the Remington 270gr SP is apparently only good for target practice and sighting in scopes as it is not a great quality bullet.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the most expensive bullet is the one needed. Of the loads you list, I would pick number 1, 2 or 7. The Remington 270 gr. SP only good for "target practice?" It's probably loaded with their Core Lokts where look a bit ugly but are very underrated. One of the most accurate 270 Winchester loads I have is with Core Lokts and they've proved to be very effective on deer and other stuff.

My rifle for my first South Africa trip was a 375 H&H Magnum in which I had loaded Speer 270 gr. BTSP bullets. In case you're wondering, they're the cup and core bullets that make no claim to being "premium." The score was 6 animals shot at, 6 animals taken and 6 cartridges used. The animals were 2 warthogs, an impala, a blesbok, a blue wildebeest and a zebra.

Thanks Grumulkin

The Remington's are not the Core Lokt unfortunately (as far as I know) but I will double check. My buddy only uses Core Lokt in his 7mm Rem Mag and has taken many animals including eland, wildebeest and kudu so I have faith in the Core Lokt.

As for the Speer ammo, I cannot find too much factory ammo on the shelves at this point - Speer or anything else. I am going shopping next Friday for ammo and other goodies for our hunt so will keep you all updated on what I get and how it performs.

I assume you will be hunting in the bush. Go slow and heavy - 300gr. PMP elite 375 H&H is loaded with Swift A-frames or Federal 300 gr with Nosler Part, if you prefer a premium bullet. The animals you mentioned however can all be taken with PMP brown box if shot through the engine room. You carry a 375, no need for headshots. - I handload and use Swift 300 gr A-frames for bush @ 2450 f/s and 270 gr Peregrine bushmaster @2640 f/s for longer shots.
Just came back from hunting in Thaba area. I tried for Eland but did not manage to get one though as the rain caught up with us. I did however manage to get Blue wildebeest, impala and my son ( 12yr ) 2 x warthog and impala. These were taken with 30-06 and 6.5x55 SE

Hi Alchemist,

Will see what I can get hold of. I found 300gr Federal NP's and am probably going to go with them. I am also seriously contemplating the Hornady 300gr DGX.

I would use the Federal loaded with Nosler Partitions over the DGX any day!

-matt

Hi guys!

Ok so here is an update of the ammo!

So it turned out all I could get was PMP 300gr Softs and Norma Oryx 300gr Soft Point. Very happy with the Norma which is all I used to hunt with. I learned the value of a neck shot regarding meat damage. The ammo performed very well in terms of knock down but did some nasty meat damage on a wildebeest that I shot. It shoots a bit high and I think that's because of the faster burning powder (?) compared with the PMP ammo. I recommend the Norma ammo. Shot an eland cow on the shoulder at about 130 to 150m and she went down within 40m. The recovered bullet had mushroomed perfectly.

The swift a frames are brilliant better than the core lockt by far...

However the Hornady's will be perfect for the game you are after, PMP will also be just fine, so will Nosler.

Lekker Jag

Hi Browning Hunter, I'm not sure where you are in Jhb, but have you been through to the Safari and Outdoor Store in Sunninghill? There is one in Pta as well. They seem quite well organized and stocked.

To say i was impressed would be an understatement. I did not look at their loaded ammo as I did not have too much time to meander about and I kinda got stuck looking at their double rifles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross