Gordonuk

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BDS
I am having a problem with South African airway. On my outward trip to SA both my flight approved rifle cases where smashed. One rifle was not damaged the other the stock was split.
And both cases where smashed.
I am having problems contacting SA airways in the uk. I have sent them an email confirming I intend to make a claim.

Sorry to hear, what kind of gun case did you have?

Not good news to say the least.
I have found that airlines love to book you. Complaining to them is another thing.
Somehow they do not seem to be as available.

I'd be very interested to see the damage to the cases and also the rifle.

What kind of cases?

Sorry about that.... :(

So glad I bought a Tuffpak. Not only is it close to indestructible but it packs more than just the rifles.

The Pelican is a top notch gun case!

I have attached a photo of the smashed case.
And yes the pelican 1750 is top notch

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 226
Holy Christ. Had to have been run over. Can't believe the rifle survived with only a cracked stock. If you haven't, h
ave a gun smith check it out thoroughly - particularly the barrel.

Some one owes you a bunch of money! Totally unacceptable!

Hi my tikka t.3 heavy barrel was fine, I shot 21 animals.
I am waiting to hear from SA airways, we had to purchase replacement flight approved cases for our return in SA. I lost a days hunting and had to pay for the fuel for the 300 km round trip

I think a little more $$$ money for the inconvenience. I would have been super upset.

After seeing that picture I have to say HOLY CHRIST too.
They threw it off the plane onto the tarmac.

It is just a pain in the ass to have something happen to your luggage, be that a firearm or not.
You just expect that a firearm would be treated better.

Hope you get some satisfaction.

You just made me very happy with my gun case selection. I hope I never have to test it.

I am not sure where you live. Usually i have went to the airport and made a claim out with a airline agent.

There is usually one around the baggage pick up area. They corral up bags that passengers have not claimed. That is where i have taken my bag to have it inspected, and claim form filled out.

I have had rifle cases, similar to your also damaged by airlines. To have had the end sheared off on your case was the results of either being caught in a conveyer system or run over by a piece of moving equipment. a case like your with smooth sides and edges, means it had the ability to slide if it was on top of a load of luggage on a cart and probably was run over by a truck or tractor.

It should be noted that the airlines have a limit on what they will pay for damage to luggage. The amount you can claim is usually stated on their web site.

For sporting equipment, it has always been advisable to purchase additional coverage for your items being placed in the cargo hold, either through a private firm or with the airline when purchasing your ticket.

The claim for the damage to both rifle cases and the stock on my rifle has now been paid. Well done SA Airways.

Hard to argue with those pictures.
Glad you have it settled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!