South Africa

Josephus 458

Reaction score
Member of
NRA/Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
US
A friend and I have a hunt in South Africa coming up in May -June of 2019. We almost have all the details lined out. I am concerned about some issues that we are hearing about in the media about land grabs and civil unrest going on there. I was just curious about the level of concern we should have about it affecting our hunt, or is it the American media blowing things out of proportion. Any input I could get on the subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about it. Stay in touch with your outfitter. Should something come up, if you have a reputable outfitter, he will make a plan.

A land grab might happen at some point. All the more reason to hunt now!

I'd equate it to worrying about the stock market.......who knows what's going to happen. Go hunt, have fun.

This is not something you need to worry about. There is another thread where a letter was posted by PHASA which might help to alleviate your concerns. For the time being, you should know that more land is taken in the US every day under eminent domain than has been taken in South Africa in the last number of years.

Every trip I have taken to RSA I have encountered some kind of strike, protest or other action. (I drive myself and cover a lot of miles/kms) Never once have I felt unsafe.
I make a turn, go around the event and get on with my day.

You will be picked up by your PH and they have your safety in mind.

Enjoy your hunt and turn the damned news off.
Honestly, save yourself the bother.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Stay in touch with your outfitter. Should something come up, if you have a reputable outfitter, he will make a plan.

A land grab might happen at some point. All the more reason to hunt now!

@Wheels is right sir. Stay in touch with your outfitter and keep watching the threads here on what is going on. For now things are in your favor.

If it helps you, I am planning to go next year, for the 7th time, and hope it won´t be the last.

Like others have said, your outfitter will take care of you and keep you safe. I have my second trip booked for May-June 2019 and I trust my outfitter will let me know if something happens and AH members know if anything happens to worry about first and post it up.

I would not worry about the news stories. They are put out by the media to gain attention for all the wrong reasons. RSA has fantastic hunting and it's an safe environment.

Definately no concerns. This forum would be the first place to be notfied should anything change . Happy Hunting !

If you want to be concerned then take a trip to Chicago or Detroit. I would worry/fear more about that than going to SA.

Go and have a great time. As some of the above posters have stated...stay in contact with your outfitter.

I will be leaving the first week of May 2019 for RSA myself. My outfitter reports there is nothing to be concerned about at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Like all newspapers bad news ie murder/mayhem sell papers when it’s quiet then a little good news is published as a fillers. Quite frankly I quit watching news casts and my blood pressure returned to normal. I can tolerate politics and sensational reporting in very small doses as I find most is blown way out of proportion. I equate it to the Roman colosseum effect of carnage and deaths to placate the population, through entertainment..
Stay in touch with your outfitter and enjoy the trip I’m planning 7th trip for 2020 to ZA

It is so far blown out of proportion. It’s political rhetoric that is used to stir up the uneducated population. I did a 3 week hunt in September, half the time in Limpopo and half in the Eastern Cape. Never felt uncomfortable. I just booked another hunt in the Eastern Cape for October this morning. Don’t worry you will be just fine.

Cutting to the chase here. If you want safety, sit at home and read about others' African hunts.
In the meantime,
TURN THAT SHIT OFF!

Cutting to the chase here. If you want safety, sit at home and read about others' African hunts.
In the meantime,
TURN THAT SHIT OFF!

After reading about your NY Eve I’d say get going to Africa. It can’t be more dangerous than the Wild West show you described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross