Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
Background:
The planning for this hunt began almost 2 years ago. It began when we received an unexpected inheritance after doing all the sensible stuff you should do we allowed ourselves to splash out. The wife well she got a new knee and me well after much consideration, tiny ten or buff hunt well after talking lots with Marius I went with the cape buffalo hunt. All was set for a five day hunt to start at the end of the uk harvest period in September 18. Then Marius began offering the oribi hunt on ah and after chatting some more [ I blame gps on tractors and snapchat] I booked an east cape extension at the end of the buff for the oribi. So I would depart on the 20th September 18, hunt for buffalo first then travel to the east cape for oribi and depart on the 30th September.

IMG_1017.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So I arrive on the at O R Tambo on the 21st clear customs in double quick time and a find Marius waiting he had flown in the night before we go collect the hire car and began out trip to the kruger park area the five hour drive passed quickly the only excitement was our original lunch stop was abandoned as the locals were protesting in the high street a quick detour and we had lunch in the next town . We arrived at the lodge got our gear sorted and went to the range to test out Marius's 375 I would be using. Two shots later and good to go back to the lodge to rest until supper time all good for the following day.
IMG_0998.JPG

First Day Of Hunting:
I was awake before the alarm gear together and out for breakfast at 6am . Breakfast done we were on the road by 6.30 we were joined by a trainee ph and a guy who worked in the environment department. We were looking for a certain type off bull one with a deep drop. I had discussed this with Marius and he was confidant we could find what we were looking for. The buff were quite relaxed at this property and we could give them a good look over before making any decisions . We spent most of the day locating the different heards and looking them over. The bulls that I liked still tended to be soft so we would move on and keep looking . We stalked in on one group to about 80 meters that were sat out in the open. We shuffled along with the rifles in our laps on our heels and elbows until we ran out of cover. Out of the thirty or so buff there were two nice bulls an old bull well worn which I liked, but Marius said no as he felt we could do better and a very nice buff with huge hard well worn bosses and nice spread an absolute beast of an animal but when he turned to face us the shape was not what I was looking for so we backed out and left. The rest of the day was much the same looking over different groups. Highlight of the day was two mock charges on the vehicle by black rhino an adult male and a calf those things have attitude
IMG_1017.JPG

Day Two : we were on the road by 6am this morning trying to find a group of bulls we could not find the previous day. We left the vehicle and set off on foot to check out a water hole as we approached with the wind in our face we slowed the pace right down when the lead stopped dead in his tracks we all followed suit. The look on his face said everything as he made a gesture to turn around and start back tracking. we had not backed up more than 10 meters when the wind moved and carried our sent straight to the waterhole. As we headed back to the vehicle at a brisk pace the rhino who had been busy rolling in the mud caught our sent as was not interested in rolling anymore. With 50 meters left to the vehicle we heard the unmistakeable snort of a grumpy rhino and the heavy thud of a rhinos feet picking up speed. Nobody needed to be told to run as we all simultaneously went for a personal best 50 meter sprint. The Black rhino broke off his pursuit and disappeared into the scrub. we took a few moments to recover and continued our hunt for our buff.

Dirty "drawers" and all!!:):)

All joking aside, looks like the makings of a great hunt. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Mid morning we located a group of buff numbering around 40 animals cows, calf's and bulls, resting out in the middle of a 20 acre clearing we drove on got the wind in our favour and began the stalk back to where we had seen them. the first part of the stalk was in what I can best describe as woodland when we reached the edge of the open ground we looked over the buff and decided on a closer look we used a large tree about 20 meters out into the open to cover our approach. After more viewing it was time to get closer the only cover was a small bush about a meter high and half a meter across about 80 yards from the buff. So back on heels and elbows rifle in laps off we set progress was slow mainly due to what I think are called paper thorns nasty little things. We make it to the bush and view some more, the bull that we need to take a closer look at is facing away from us so the tracker starts throwing rocks to try and get their attention but they took no notice. Then a slight change in the wind again and the buff became uneasy knowing something was wrong but not sure they slowly began to stand and then one buff spooks they turn and take off . Marius turns and gives me a shrug another chance blown as the heard swing around and head straight back at us only to stop back where they had just been stood. A few of the bulls almost egging each over on begin to approach still unsure what is there. At this point we quickly get to our feet and make ourselves visible to the heard . To which the bulls turn and the heard takes off again just leaving a cloud of dust and us picking thorns out of everywhere.

Cmon! You never took a pic of the black rhino???

When I told the wife and kids what happened I had two questions
one was is life insurance up to date
and did I get any photos my reply was" I don't need money when I am dead " and "No dear to busy Running "

Keep it coming!

we all simultaneously went for a personal best 50 meter sprint.
Love to see those times! I bet we'd all be surprised how fleet of foot you were!!

By mid afternoon Marius and I came to the decision that we were not going to find what I was after at our present location so we decided to call an end to the day as we had to move to new lodgings for the night before moving to the next property. The original plan had been to hunt the second property only but adding the east cape extension meant a longer trip.With bookings right after my trip ended meant we had to add the extra days to the start and the second property owner was away until the Monday we had originally organised to arrive and hunt. We arrived at the overnight accommodation which was very pleasant I had a nice room. I think Marius was not so lucky as after an hour or so I had to kick him out of my room so I could get a bath.
we had a good meal out in town that night and a few drinks.

"When I told the wife and kids what happened I had two questions one was is life insurance up to date and did I get any photos my reply was" I don't need money when I am dead " and "No dear to busy Running "

Dudders are you a part time "comic," I'm still laughing. Although the situation was far from funny your reply sure as hell was.

I'm enjoying your post immensely.

Oh my goodness! I am still chuckling! Awesome story, can't wait for the rest of it!

I too, am enjoying your writing style. I'm afraid I would of been last to the vehicle....... Great start. Looking forward to the rest.
Bruce

Great story so far...keep it coming!

We checked out of the overnight accommodation and went to get some breakfast. Marius knew of a nice little place but it must of been somewhere else as we couldn't find it so ended back where we had eaten the night before. After a leisurely breakfast we got the call to head out to the next property. The property boarders Kruger park separated by a single fence . we arrive at the lodge get settled into our rooms have lunch and are ready to go for the afternoon session.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg