Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
On the 2 March, I am holding a shoot called the "ROCKY CLASSIC" this will be the 5th year I am hosting the shoot. The reason I started the shoot was that wing shooting in not a big sport in South Africa, I felt the need to promote bird shooting in South Africa.

The first year I held the shoot, we were 16 guns, this year we are 80 guns, we cut the bookings at 80. We could have booked a lot more but decided 80 was the number to handle.

The first evening we have traditional sheep heads for supper, next night beef type ox tail pot, last night a pig and sheep on the fire.

Teams of 4, thus 20 teams.

We have beautiful hand crafted trophies for prizes.

As the shoot starts I will post more photos.

Here is a photo of the ammo and a few from the years past.

All the birds are given to schools, they clean them and use them for soup in the winter, nothing wasted.
ammo2017.jpg

Looks like a fun event Simon! However, I don't think you have enough ammunition!

That sounds like a great time Simon! Are the birds driven, or what?

Looks like you guys took it to the pigeons.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this shoot.

@Ridgewalker , we shoot over sunflowers. We put out 20 stands in the sunflowers, every morning the teams pull numbers out the hat to see which stand they get. The field is about 300 acres, the big secret is to keep the birds flying, if they manage to sit on the flowers, they don't get up easy.

If 80 guns can't keep them flying, I don't know what can.

My girls showing off my teams shirts. The teams put a lot of effort into team names and shirts, just adds fun to the shoot.
20150325_181006.jpg
20150325_181119.jpg

Wayne, you will be surprised how the pigeons find gaps between the guns.

@Ridgewalker , we shoot over sunflowers. We put out 20 stands in the sunflowers, every morning the teams pull numbers out the hat to see which stand they get. The field is about 300 acres, the big secret is to keep the birds flying, if they manage to sit on the flowers, they don't get up easy.
I use to hunt doves in Texas pretty much the same way. We'd take the company truck with a couple of couches, generator, TV, gas grill,cooler of food, etc. Set everything up for lunch and to watch Sunday Cowboys football games. We'd surround the sunflowers for the morning flights, eat those for lunch, watch the game, then back out for the evening flight.

To much fun!

IMG_1526.JPG
Oh yes, your girls are dolls!
I have three blond dolls of my own, grandma, daughter, granddaughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a bird hunter, but that looks like it would be a blast! I've got to try for birds more in the future.

The first evening is hosted by the local MOTHS club, ex war vets and people who fought in conflict zones. Smiley's for super. Sheep heads.
Sheep heads.jpg

This is great Simon.....I can see you know how to organize dove and pigeons shooting my friend.....it is a shame We have an ocean in between......if not......I would be there in a blink.....!!!!

Now I realize way you don´t want to come here to shoot a few dove´s with me.....you have fun by the ton over there.......;)

Very well done Simon.....!!!!

@ROCKET I promise you buddy, I will visit. Watch a bit of polo as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.