SOUTH AFRICA: Unnerving Situation With Rhinocon Anton Bakker

Guys, I'm booking agent from Russia. February 2014 I booked with Bakker and through Theo 3 rhinos for my clients. they paid close to 250K direct to Bakker. Hunt never happened. After a week in South Africa with "tomorrow, tomorrow" I went to police. According to what I know Anton is in jail and we are still waiting for the court.
Theo formally was not responcible because money were paid direct to Rhinocon but my clients are sure they were dealing together with Bakker.
Theo is staying in Ukraine not visiting South Africa.
Police in Modi Molle ( Captain Murray lim.modimolle.det@saps.gov.za) says there are minimum several hunters which paid close to 500K to Mr Bakker.

Would a booking agent not have some kind of insurance to guard against this type of unfortunate situation?
At least an attempt is being made to get reimbursed.

My assessment says Theo should have known what he was doing. I talked to him once. He was very knowledgeable about Africa. He started the conversation to drum up business, I was not interested at the time. My instincts were that everything was not on the up and up. In the USA he would have had insurance, wherever he lives....I'm sure he had no insurance.

I would rather book directly with the outfitter, I like control of everything.

My assessment says Theo should have known what he was doing. I talked to him once. He was very knowledgeable about Africa. He started the conversation to drum up business, I was not interested at the time. My instincts were that everything was not on the up and up. In the USA he would have had insurance, wherever he lives....I'm sure he had no insurance.

I would rather book directly with the outfitter, I like control of everything.
I booked direct with Bakker and now I think would be better if I did it with Theo. More chance to get money back. Investigators report in Rhinocon account is zero

$500,000. Theo is apparently making instalments on 40,00o owed to one hunter.
You guys will not live long enough to see your money.
I'll eat my words when I hear that Angus has been repaid before his daughter goes to college.

I booked direct with Bakker and now I think would be better if I did it with Theo. More chance to get money back. Investigators report in Rhinocon account is zero

Can I ask politely? What convinced you to send money to that outfitter? Was it the outfitters sales pitch? Was it his experience? Other hunters testimony? Was is the price of the hunt? Psychologically I'm interested, because they took your money and it went somewhere?

Sounds like Mr. Bakker has been convicted and will serve at least four years. I haven't been able to find in English yet.

http://www.diepos.co.za/articles/crime/46037/2018-02-16/jagter-agter-slot-en-grendel

Jagter agter slot en grendel
16 February 2018 l Ronél van Jaarsveld l Views: 7368 l 3 days ago

Die jagter Anton Bakker is op Dinsdag 6 Februarie in Mokopane gevonnis. Dié foto van hom is ’n paar jaar gelede deur ontstelde jagters wat op soek was na hom, op ’n jagforum versprei. Foto: Africahunting.com

’n Oneerlike jagter moet die volgende paar jaar agter tralies deurbring nadat die hof in Mokopane hom skuldig bevind het op agt aanklagte van bedrog en diefstal.

Anton Bakker (60) van Kromdraai buite Bela-Bela is op Dinsdag 6 Februarie tot agt jaar tronkstraf gevonnis. Die bedrogklagte is deur Russiese en Kanadese jagters wat deur Bakker ingedoen is, ingedien. Bakker het onder die naam Rhinocon815 handel gedryf. Plaaslike klaers het drie klagte van diefstal teen hom aanhangig gemaak. Bakker het skuld beken.

Die Russiese jagters het beweer hulle het in Maart 2014 ’n jagtog gereël, maar met hul aankoms by die lughawe het Bakker hulle nie opgelaai soos ooreengekom nie. Hulle moes self by ’n lodge in Modimolle uitkom. Hulle het daarop aangedring om Bakker se permit as jaguitruster te sien, maar hy kon dit nie toon nie.

Bakker is op dié aanklagte tot ses jaar, agt jaar en nog agt jaar tronkstraf gevonnis, wat opgeskort is vir vyf jaar, het AO James Findlay, woordvoerder van die Modimolle-polisie, gesê.

Op die twee aanklagte van bedrog wat die Kanadese jagters aanhangig gemaak het, is hy op elke aanklag tot ses jaar tronkstraf gevonnis. Drie plaaslike klaers het diefstalklagte teen Bakker ingedien en hy is daarop onderskeidelik tot vier jaar, agt jaar en drie jaar tronkstraf gevonnis.

Die waarde van die transaksies waaruit die aanklagte spruit beloop sowat R5 miljoen, het die hof gehoor.

Bakker se vonnisse sal gelyklopend uitgedien word en die tyd wat hy reeds agter tralies was, sal in ag geneem word. Hy kan ná vier jaar vir parool in aanmerking kom.

Attachments

• o_1c6c8c7jso3d1q5s1d7tg6k72p2q.JPG
    o_1c6c8c7jso3d1q5s1d7tg6k72p2q.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
The hunter Anton Bakker was convicted in Mokopane on Tuesday 6 February. This photograph of him was spread out on a hunting forum by troubled hunters who were looking for him a few years ago. Photo: Africahunting.com

A dishonorable hunter has to spend the next few years behind bars after Mokopane's court found guilty of eight charges of fraud and theft.

Anton Bakker (60) from Kromdraai outside Bela-Bela was sentenced to eight years in prison on Tuesday 6 February. The fraud has been filed by Russian and Canadian hunters who were inaugurated by Bakker. Bakker ran under the name Rhinocon815. Local complainants filed three charges of theft against him. Baker blamed.

The Russian hunters claimed to have arranged a hunting campaign in March 2014, but with their arrival at the airport, Bakker did not upload them as agreed. They had to arrive at a lodge in Modimolle. They insisted on seeing Bakker's permit as a hunting giant, but he could not show it.

Bakker was sentenced to six years, eight years and eight years in prison, suspended for five years, said Modimolle spokesperson AO James Findlay.

On the two charges of fraud brought by the Canadian hunters, he was sentenced to six years in prison on every charge. Three local complainants filed a lawsuit against Bakker and sentenced to four years, eight years and three years in prison respectively.

The value of the transactions from which the charges were reported amounted to about R5 million, heard the court.

Bakker's sentences will be served simultaneously and the time he is already behind bars will be taken into account. He may be eligible for parole after four years.

Now to seize all his assets.

Theo Blignaut made the first payment of $1000 just now, it's a drop in the bucket at 2.5% of the loss, but it's a start I won't call unappreciated.

He says he's going to continue making payments and I'll update here of the results.

@Ardent I'm curious if any additional payments were made?

Best of luck sir. I hate to hear of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!