SOUTH AFRICA: Unforgetable Hunt For All The Right Reasons

ben smith

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Firstly I would like to apologise for any spelling mistakes as writing is not my strongest point.

ELEPHANT & BUFFALO HUNTING WITH THIS IS AFRICA SAFARIS
It was middle August 2016 when I saw the advertisement for late season elephant hunting posted by Heinrich of THIS IS AFRICA SAFARIS. Being interested in hunting elephant for some time now and aware of the pressure from the anti-hunters, I decided to make contact with Heinrich to hear what they had to offer. After discussing the package and rates for a 30lb class bull, I decided that this was an opportunity not to be missed. Over the next few weeks the planning put everything in place, flights, arrangements and excitement…
On the 16th of October I landed in Johannesburg and met Heinrich at arrivals. We soon had our things packed and were on route to his hunting concession, arriving in camp by late afternoon. After unpacking we went to the rifle range so I could practice with Heinrich’s .375 and its Doctor red dot sight which I found amazing for close range work. This was the rifle I would be using for the shoot whilst Heinrich was carrying his .470 double rifle by Merkel.
On the first morning we began looking for tracks and elephant on this beautiful landscape with its abundance of wildlife and although we saw 24 bulls and many other species, not the bull we were looking for. On such a large concession this was hardly surprising.
We spotted a further 30 elephant bulls on the second day, with a few good stalks on foot getting us very close, which was very exciting. The daytime heat was quite extreme and combined with the mileage, was taking its toll and although the sun had set by the time we returned to base, the cold beer, supper and an early night were very welcome.
Early on day three in the thick Mopani we got within 60 yards of a resting group of 11 elephant bulls, a couple of which took our fancy. After a 2 hour rest they began moving and with the good wind we were able to close to 25 yards from our favored one. Despite going through all the scenarios with my PH beforehand I could feel the tension rising. My heart began racing, sweat building on my forehead. With trees breaking around us, despite my rifle, I began to feel more vulnerable, less secure. At just that moment the second choice bull turned and walked straight for us. His huge body carried a large head with short, but thick tusks and at eighteen yards he spotted us stopped and his ears flared out as he searched for every sound. Immediately Heinrich told me the plan had changed! This was our target and as I got down onto the sticks aiming he reminded me of my shot placement. The bull charged, I squeezed the trigger of the .375, the shot rang out and he fell. Trees were cracking all around as the rest of the herd took off in every direction. I could just hear Heinrich reminding me to reload. I put a second bullet in the elephant’s chest and for insurance circled behind my foe and put my third bullet into his brain. I was ‘main lining’ on adrenalin as I viewed my magnificent, now dead, elephant. As I came down I felt the whole experience of the hunt and kill became somewhat humbling.
When the skinning team had finished their task we all headed back to camp for an afternoon’s relaxation and time to prepare for the following day.
Heinrich drove me to another of his concessions on day 5, to hunt buffalo and plains game. He found me a really nice buffalo cow early on and after careful tracking from his Tracker, I got a shot on a big old and dry cow, a single shot with the .375 was sufficient and it was all over. I also took a nice Warthog, a Duiker and a male Baboon. These hunting areas operated by THIS IS AFRICA SAFARIS are very wild country, bordering KNP, with abundance of game, which makes for one great safari.
I had already hunted previously in Africa but found my stay with THIS IS AFRICA SAFARIS far superior. Their staff and service are outstanding and their concessions hold a variety of great hunting animals. Of course Heinrich is the linchpin, a straightforward guy with great experience. Big game hunting is dangerous, so you need someone with knowledge and expertise. That man is Heinrich. As you can probably guess my next safari, with friends, is already booked for 2016 with THIS IS AFRICA SAFARIS!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report. I would say that you have no trouble in your transferring your sense of awareness and excitement to the reader. The sweat, the racing heartbeat!!! Good job!

Congrats! Pics? Thanks. Bruce

Great write up but we need pics......lots of pics.

Welcome Ben great report and I know what you mean!
image.jpg

Great report! I enjoy reading great hunting reports. That's what I call real hunting @CAustin ! Not just sitting in a vehicle and shooting.

Great to hear you had a great time!

Ben Did you guys have lunch down by the Olifants river?

Congrats for a great hunt Ben, pics would be very much appreciated !

Did I oversleep?
Heard about the hunt in Aug 2016??
Hunted in Oct 2016??????

Or are you a time traveler? If so teach me as I have a hunt in 2017 and cannot hardly wait to get back to Africa for my 2nd and I promise last hunt there:)

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Did I oversleep?
Heard about the hunt in Aug 2016??
Hunted in Oct 2016??????

Or are you a time traveler? If so teach me as I have a hunt in 2017 and cannot hardly wait to get back to Africa for my 2nd and I promise last hunt there:)
NO WAY LAST HUNT.

Divernhunter I bet your hook like the rest of us!

Ben Smith how about some pictures!

Congratulations on your success. Thanks for the write up.

As others have said, photos please.

It sure was a great hunt, Me and my whole team had lots of fun hunting with Ben Smit for those few days, hes also a great shot! Looking forward to our next adventure later in 2016!
IMG_8228.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg