SOUTH AFRICA: Tsala Safaris April/May 2017

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by jasyblood, May 10, 2017.

1. Delta5Cav

Delta5Cav AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Several local Sporting Clubs
    Hunted:
    New Brunswick. South Africa, Namibia, Texas, Oklahoma
    It happened to me, the first round that I fired in South Africa in 2014. It never did it again. I did take my bolt apart when I got home and cleaned it out. Never another problem.

jasyblood likes this.

2. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    Yes !!!
    Take a look .
    First time ever , cost me big time in Namibia .
    IMG_1799.jpg

jasyblood likes this.

3. jasyblood

jasyblood BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA(Limpopo x 3, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 1), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
    Part Two

Day three and all future days started out the same…. up at 5:45 and breakfast at 6:15 and on the truck by 6:45. We drove around for a while and spotted some red hartebeest. We get off the truck and pursue them but no luck; they just vanished into thin air. We head back to the hide by the dam to see if anything was coming in to the zebra carcass and no luck there either.

About an hour or so later, we’re driving through a beautiful area that is heavily shaded and thick with cover and Rouan spots a group of Kudu crossing a creek. He signals the driver to stop and I can’t believe what I’m seeing…it’s a giant kudu about 50-60 yards away just staring at us. Kudu is not on either of our lists but this one definitely makes me think twice….we finally pull away from them and continue driving.

Sometime later that morning, my buddy makes a comment to me that he should’ve taken that kudu. I told him that sightings like that are rare and that if he’s really interested in a kudu, he shouldn’t let another opportunity pass. He agrees and lets Rouan know that if we see another nice kudu, he’s in.

The rest of the day was uneventful and we sat in the hide this evening for a few hours but no luck.

Tonight after dinner, Rouan’s son Brandon came in from Marakele where he’s doing some training/certification classes. He’s going to be home for a few days and plans on hunting with us to see if he can help us fill our bag.

Day’s four & five – Okay, to save myself a lot of typing and you guys a lot of reading, I’ll just say that the hunting gods were not with us on these two days. The entire team worked their butts off and we did see great animals, but it just wasn’t meant to be. That’s why they call it hunting!

Day six started out the same as the previous two. We’d spot animals and try to stalk but then they’d disappear on us. I’ve been through rough patches like this before and knew it could/would turn around if we kept at it but I could tell my buddy was feeling the pressure and he mentioned to me several times that he shot the kudu earlier in the week. I assured him that he’d get another chance.

Later that afternoon, Rouan’s camp manager called and said he’d seen a big kudu the previous evening and we went to the area to investigate. No sign of him but it was still early in the day and we made a plan to come back right before dark to see if we could find him. The rest of the afternoon was spent chasing a big waterbuck that we spotted but could never get a shot at.

Right before dark, we headed back to the area were the big kudu had been spotted. Rouan decided that it would be best if we park the truck and walk the area. I opted to stay at the truck and let the rest of the crew go in. About 30 minutes later, they called us to pick them up and they had not seen anything. After we picked them up, we had not gone more than 200 yards when one of the trackers in the back of the truck spotted some kudu right off the road. We slowed down just enough for Brandon and my buddy to step off the truck and we continued on for another 300-400 yards and stopped the truck. It wasn’t long before we heard a shot and is sounded like a good hit. We waited a minute or two and then walk to the area where we dropped them off and could hear them talking. My buddy had shot an extremely nice 55” kudu.

Resized_20170505_183939.jpg
    The body on this kudu was unbelievable.

imagejpeg_02.jpg

Look at the neck on that thing!

Oh, I forgot to mention that earlier in the day, our driver had mentioned to Brandon that one of the employees that lives on the back side of the property has been having bushpig coming in every night digging through his trash and he asked if I’d be interested in trying to get one. “Hell yes I would” was my response….So, after taking pics of the kudu and dropping it off at the skinning shed, Brandon and I head out to hunt bushpig and the rest of the group go to camp.

When we arrive, we quiz the lady that lives there on where the pigs have been coming from and approximate times and made a plan. Since this hunt came up last minute, we were really not prepared and didn’t have a blind or even chairs, but we did the best we could with what we had. We borrowed two empty plastic beer crates to sit on, got the sticks set up low since I’d be shooting sitting down, went through a few dry runs and started waiting. I’ll admit I was not too optimistic with our situation as we’re only 30 yards from the trash pile and everything I’ve seen or read on hunting bushpig, I know they are not easily fooled.

We had only been waiting 15 minutes or so when we heard something coming and Brandon whispered that it was definitely bushpig. The sounds kept getting closer and closer and I was starting to believe that this might actually happen. Brandon had me get my gun up on the sticks and there was enough light coming from the house and moonlight that I could clearly see the trash pile and told Brandon that we didn’t need to use a light. About 30 seconds later, he whispered that he could see 3 large pigs and I’m straining my eyes but can’t see them. I asked “Where are they?” and he said “to the right of the trash”. “I still can’t see them! Where are they!?” Again, he says they are to the right of the trash. They are so close I can hear them breathing and grunting but can’t find them in the scope. Brandon asks if I want the light on but I’m afraid that it’ll spook them and tell him I’d rather wait to see if they’ll come into the trash. A few seconds later, we hear them run off. We wait a few more minutes but hear nothing and determine that the hunt is probably over.

After some discussion, we figure out why I couldn’t see them. Brandon was sitting on my left side and they had come in further right than we’d expected and there was a bush between me and them. He could see them but there was no way that I could’ve. A little frustrating but that’s how it goes and we’re optimistic that they’ll be back again tomorrow night and we’ll be a little better prepared!

We head back to camp for a late dinner and discuss plans for tomorrow (our last day). Brandon asks his mom if she’ll boil up some grits for us tomorrow for bait and she agrees.

Day 7 and our last hunting day and we’re on the truck by 6:45. We really have to step up our game today!

We first drive down to an area where we had seen a nice bushbuck early in the week to see if he was back but no luck. So, we headed to the backside of the property to see if we could find waterbuck or red hartebeest.

About 20 minutes into our drive, we spot a small group of red hartebeest in a clearing. We ease by them and Rouan slows down just enough for Brandon and me to step off and then continues on. We creep back down the road and to our surprise; they’re still in the clearing grazing and unaware of us (finally some cooperation!). We move down the road about 30 yards or so to get a clear shot and the sticks go up and I’m on the biggest bull. He turns broadside and let one fly. It’s a good hit and he runs about 30 yards before crashing. I’m not going to lie, it felt good to finally pull the again!

IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG

He’s a damn fine bull and I’m glad to have him!

After pics and dropping him off at the skinning shed, we head back out for waterbuck. We see lots of cows and young bulls but none of the mature bulls we’d seen throughout the week.

Later in the afternoon, we have a herd of impala walk across the road in front of us and there’s a small ram that is definitely in charge and chasing all the ewes to keep them together. I immediately think it’s strange that with all the large impala rams I’ve seen this week, that this little guy would be in charge. Rouan stops the truck and asks if one of us wanted a cull impala and I don’t think he had finished his sentence before I was on the ground and had my gun loaded! Brandon set up the sticks and I was able to make a good shot and he didn’t take a step. Again, it felt good to pull the trigger! I apologize but I didn’t get any pics of him.

We drop him off at the shed and Brandon and I agree that we should head out to set up for our pig hunt and my buddy decides to tag along. We have our bait with us (grits, syrup, beer, and leftovers from dinner) comfortable chairs and a cooler with drinks….a little more prepared today!

When we arrived, we decided that the best place to set up tonight was on the back porch of the house. We unload all our supplies and while Brandon moves the truck away from the house, my buddy and I get everything set up. There’s a half wall all the way around the porch which is the perfect height for me to shoot from and when Brandon returns, he sets up the bait and we make sure I can get a clear shot from where I’m sitting. Now all we have to do is wait for it to get dark and hope the pigs cooperate.

About 30 minutes after it gets dark, we hear movement and its getting closer….here they come! I get the rifle up and have my crosshairs trained on the bait. We can hear them getting closer and closer….I click the safety off and get ready. I can see something emerging from the bushes to the right…it comes right to the bait! But wait, that’s not a pig, it a huge freaking porcupine! Brandon is a little disappointed but I’m really wanting to shoot this porcupine!! When I ask him if I can shoot it, he says “Really? You want to shoot a porcupine??” He talks me off the ledge and convinces me to wait. Looking back, it was quite comical. Then, not 30 seconds later, he whispers that there’s a civet cat about 10 feet to the left of the bait. Now, this IS an animal I want to shoot. I get back on the gun but can’t find it in the scope (again, we’re doing this without any artificial light) and we figure out that there’s a tree blocking my view. I find the tree and wait for it to step out. Just a few seconds later it steps out and stops, I squeeze the trigger and the cat never knew what hit him. As soon as I shoot, Brandon hits the lights and I try to get a shot at the porcupine but it moves off too fast. What an exciting hunt!!

IMG_2219.JPG

We decide to call it a night and pack up and head to the skinning shed to take some pics and then back to camp for another wonderful dinner. We stayed up a little later than normal tonight and visited with the family before we went to bed.

Day 8 – Time to go home. The last day is always depressing for me as I never like leaving Africa. We sleep in a little later this morning and get up around 6:30 and start packing. We meet for breakfast at 7:00, settle our bills, load the truck and head to the skinning shed for one last picture.

IMG_2226.JPG

imagejpeg_05.jpg

Rouan, Elias and Brite(not sure if I spelled his name correctly or not)

We’re on the road by 8:15 and arrive at the airport at 11:00. Rouan walks us in and makes sure that we check in goes smoothly. Everything from here on goes like clockwork and we arrive home 27 hours later.

In conclusion: This safari may not have turned out as originally planned, but that’s one of the reasons I love hunting and especially hunting Africa….there are no guarantees and you never know what you’re going to get or what’s around the next corner. I came to realize a long time ago, there’s a lot more to safari than skins in the salt or horns on the wall and this one did not disappoint!

To the entire Nel family, I would like to thank you again for your hospitality and making us feel like part of your family. Every one of you worked extremely hard to make this a memorable experience and that is exactly what we got. I can’t thank you enough and I will be back.

To all the folks reading this, I hope you enjoyed hearing my story as much as I did reliving it.

Thanks for reading,

Jason Y.

MAdcox, cpr0312, AB2506 and 7 others like this.

4. jasyblood

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA(Limpopo x 3, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 1), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
    Wow! Did you figure out what the problem was?

5. jasyblood

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    I bet you're right. I plan on trying that this weekend.

6. cls

cls AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
    beautiful Civet Cat

jasyblood likes this.

7. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Congrats for a very good hunt, and thanks for sharing !

jasyblood likes this.

8. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Love that civet, it's on my list!

jasyblood likes this.

9. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    Shit gun and shit ammo .
    It only misfired with winchester ammo .
    But the federal ammo jammed after firing like yours did .
    It was a new custom built rifle on its first and last hunt .
    Cost a fortune and was a heap of shit .
    It arrived at home just before we left for Africa so wasnt really tried out till we got there .

jasyblood likes this.

10. jasyblood

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    You could've gotten this one with your bow...he was less than 25 yards when I shot! Hunting off the back porch is underrated! Lol.

jeff likes this.

11. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, AZ, TX)
    Congrats on your hunt- nice work on that civethe cat!

jasyblood likes this.

12. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Congrats on all the great animals you guys got! What a stunning sable!!!! I love that red hartebeest.

jasyblood likes this.

13. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    That's Sable is awesome! Sounds like a great hunt!

jasyblood likes this.

14. 50by50

50by50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    S. Africa
    Great writeup and fantastic sable!

jasyblood likes this.

15. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Enjoyed reading your report. What a great hunt and excellent trophies. Congratulations!

jasyblood likes this.

16. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Sir you had an excellent hunt! Congrats on a beautiful Sable and the civet cat was a real bonus!

jasyblood likes this.

17. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I've hunted with Rouan twice and hope to go back in a couple years again for one those bush pigs!!

jasyblood likes this.

18. Archer

Archer AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Great write up! I may have to give Emirates a try on my next trip.

jasyblood likes this.

19. dobber

dobber AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Great write up

jasyblood likes this.

20. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Great animals and hugely impressive civet. Shooting in the dark (literally) is tough, but you got a great one!

You'll have to go back for the honey badger!