SOUTH AFRICA: Tsala Safari August 2014

Eric,
What a great trip and pictures thank you for taking the time to share them. The way you worded everything felt like I was there myself! Excellent trophies can't wait to see them.
Matt

Man you got some great animals.That sable and bushbuck are amazing plus you took some different stuff you dont see many guys get.Great report thanks for sharing

E,

Glad you were able to find some time away from school for a hunt.

What a hunt. You have some great trophies there. The first bushbuck is massive and unique. Congratulations on your successes.

All the best.

Day 4, I mention that I would really love to get a honey badger this trip, so we put out extra baits and call around to find out if anyone had honey badger on bait somewhere. Neil mentions that there is a big warthog watering at this one spot so we head out to see if he'll come out in the middle of day to get a drink. Neil told me a huge bushbuck frequents this are too but usually winds any hunters and escapes. It's a hot day and the sun is beating down pretty good. Neil tells me if it's this warm now what will it be like in December...lol. It's a lot warmer than I expected...damn I was getting sunburnt. We are there in a "ghost blind" waiting for the right animal to come in. I see a really nice mountain reedbuck come into the water....my trigger was getting itchy but I told myself to let him go. I can always get one in the East Cape Province somewhere...some time. Neil tells me 3 bushbuck and coming into the water about an hour later. I only see a young one with the mother. Then a whole bunch of kudu come into the water, then some baboons...I'm getting pretty excited!!! All of a sudden Neil say "BIG BUSHBUCK"! I nearly jump out of my skin. My gun went up, I picked the first available shot before he spooked and pulled the trigger. I saw him fall through the scope! I was so excited, I could not even talk! It was a very good day hunting. You remember moments like this the rest of your life.

View attachment 30971 View attachment 30972 View attachment 30973

Great picture of the elusive and rare africahunting.com cap! Nice bushbuck too. ;)

Congrats for a great hunt, Eric, you look real happy in those pics. You took some very nice trophies too.

And thanks for sharing !

Thanks guys! Nyati, I felt really good, I could tell when I got home that I was markedly happier.

Thanks guys! Nyati, I felt really good, I could tell when I got home that I was markedly happier.
Funny how Africa does that!!! :)

Very happy for you Eric and also mighty jealous! If I thought I had any luck with pigs I'd gladly trade you for your bushbuck luck. Congratulations on a great hunt!!

Thanks Phil, I figured out how to be a successful pig hunter though. Mike told me years ago and it is finely sinking in, hunt where warthogs and bushpigs have a chance to grow old...would be a great start.

Great report glade to see Rouan took care of you. If you ever get back with him ask him about his place he can hunt in Mozambique for buffalo and nyala. I would highly recommend it.

Eric, just now seeing this report! Wow! What a fine bunch of animals you got there. Beauty of a sable and two fantastic bushbuck! Also the badger and porky, not often see, let alone taken. Great stuff, hope you can do it again!

Thanks for the report, have been waiting for it as the day they dropped me off they picked you up and I could'nt wait for the pictures and report! I think I sat at the same water water hole where you got the second bushbuck.

Hi Eric and Jeff

Thanks both for the nice hunting reports.And it was great having you both and sharing our time with you.

Jeff yes we did sit there where Eric shot his second bushbuck.Unfortunately the hunting gods did smile on us like they did on Eric.

Keep well

Rouan

Great stories, friend! Ilove that badger and sable. Ididn't realize the porky would be so large. Isaw one on "Dirty Jobs" the other day on the Discovery Channel, but yours looks bigger than those captive ones.

I've got my fingers crossed my warthog luck goes better than yours. It's one I really want for this first go-round. 12 days and counting down....

Thanks for taking the time to write! Great report and photos plus you scored some great trophies. I'll be in SA for my first safari in 360 days. Thanks for increasing the anticipation!

Great stories, friend! Ilove that badger and sable. Ididn't realize the porky would be so large. Isaw one on "Dirty Jobs" the other day on the Discovery Channel, but yours looks bigger than those captive ones.

I've got my fingers crossed my warthog luck goes better than yours. It's one I really want for this first go-round. 12 days and counting down....

Funny that your mention the porcupine, I shot mine as he was running away from me. I split him in two. But I mostly took out the guts and vitals. I went to check out the carcass and HOLY COW was there a lot of meat on them. It looked good too...lol. I would have ate some.

I know Owen, mentioned I should have lamb the next time I was in Africa. Boy, that is a delicious meal, damn good. Everyday on my few hours of sleep, I think of Africa....and hope to get back.

Congratulations Enysse! (and good shooting!)

I am +1 with you on the bushbuck (yours is a whopper) as being one of, if not thee most interesting antelope to hunt in Southern Africa (fine eating as well, like most African antelopes).

All of your animals are A+ but the honey badger is rare to see, much less to bag one (good on your PH and on you as well for such a prize).

Thank you for sharing your photos and for your excellent narrative on your recent safari.

Welcome back home.

regards,
Velo Dog.

Thanks Velo Dog, you are correct the bushbuck is considered really good meat, very tender. I will be using those special "Barnes" next time on the small antelope. If I use the 375 H&H, I'll just use solids.

Thanks Velo Dog, you are correct bushbuck is considered really good meat, very tender. I will be using those special "Barnes" next time on the small antelope. If I use the 375 H&H, I'll just use solids.

You are welcome, as my credit to you (and to your PH) was only posted where credit was due.

The .28 bore is not my idea of a general Africa PG caliber, especially in typical thornbush conditions.

It is partly because of what you experienced with the porcupine and klipspringer (I shot a JSP 300 gr .375 bullet / MV 2400 fps through a klipspringer and the exit wound was only about the size and shape of the pad on my thumb print).

But, mostly it's because I like to carry enough gun for whatever I might bump into, especially at close range (including 2,000 pound eland, to mention but one of the many).

However, you proved that the 7 mm / 160 grain is very effective, even on sable, when you put the little bullet precisely where it belongs.

A small/light bullet in the right place is better than a dozen large/heavy ones in the wrong place.

Again, I salute you for excellent shooting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Eric Don't know how I missed this one those are some Awesome trophies love that Honey Badger Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg