Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Bills zebra.jpg

For our anniversary this year, we returned to Africa. A few days in RSA, then by train from Pretoria to Vic Falls, and on through The Caprivi to Namibia. We spent a bit of time in RSA, Zim, Botswana, and of course Namibia, returning for home from Windhoek. We began in April and came home to the USA in May of this year. Before our trip on Rovos Rail, we spent a few days hunting with @Tsala Hunting Safaris, a sponsor here on AH. It was a great trip, but a lengthy story. I initially want to write a brief report on our hunting at Tsala. Although zebra was not my ultimate quarry, this target of opportunity allowed me to get a foto of my wife and I (old people) with Brandon Nel and his wife Johannri (young people). Tsala is a first rate operation by any definition of the term....I will add a few fotos later today........FW Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the report sir!

Nice to be able to get a little hunting in with the touring. Looking forward tom the story.Congrats
Bruce

I second your finding that Tsala is a first rate operation ! We've had 3 trips with Tsala and they're excellent, would like to go again and hunt night critters !

Very nice! Looking forward to the report on the entire trip!

Looking forward to the story.

That sounds like a grand adventure for the old people.
Nice Zebra rug!

I wanted to hunt Nyala. And with only three days to do it, the logistics were a challenge. I wanted a mountain hunt, having hunted many flat land areas in RSA before. Fortunately, two local hunters that I know and trust had gone to Tsala. Twice. Owner Rouan Nel agreed to take me despite my schedule of only 3 days, and said, "we'll do our best". They certainly did. I added a pic of the first bullet to hit this bull. A 165 grain Norma Oryx out of a 30-06 at about 135 yards. Retained weight was 117 grains. This tough bonded bullet refused to come apart, despite hitting a tree limb about 2 feet short of the target. Penetration was about 10 inches and necessitated a long stalk and second shot. The second bullet was perfect.
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_5320.jpg
IMG_5317.jpg
...I had one more nice trophy taken at Tsala..............will put foto in a bit later when I see if this post is ok........FW Bill

You can see the entrance would just in front of the shoulder by the white neck stripe, and the bullet bulge under the skin 10 inches back. It failed to enter the chest, traveling between ribs and skin after shattering shoulder. Second bullet bulge, fired into far side flank, is visible a bit farther back.........................FW Bill

Beautiful nyala FWB. Love the ivory tips. Looking forward to hearing the story.

Nice ivory tips on the nyala, congrats!

Very nice Nyala and Zebra. Thanks for posting.

What an interesting trip! I will look forward to the report!
Excellent trophies!

Congrats Bill, very nice trophies !

Just a final note about Tsala............their location in The Waterbergs was quite different than my other RSA hunts. I shot a few more critters....upgraded a bit. My PH, Brandon Nel would probably hunt 20 hours a day if possible, and the enthusiasm was contagious. The bow hides were the best I have ever seen....positioned perfectly and blended into the terrain. But even Tsala couldn't get me a giant warthog.......of course, I gave them 8 hours in the most difficult time of the year for pigs....but we laughed about it.......I know people who have killed monster pigs with a revolver, even one who hit and killed one with a truck....but in twenty years, it hasn't happened to me. Impala and zebra suffered accordingly, as I took it out on them. In all, a great time. But I have a train to catch......Rovos Rail......and a trip to "The Smoke That Thunders"........good hunting to all.........Flatwater Bill

T sala pond.jpg
impala.jpg

Congrats on the time at Tsala, look forward to the rail portion! Hope you were able to enjoy a Mosi or two while at the falls!!

Congrats! You are not the only one waiting for a big warthog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.