Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA,Canada,South Africa, Namibia
I hunted with @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS from June 14-June 27, 2021. I flew Alaska airlines from Anchorage to Seattle where I connected to Qatar air. From Seattle to Doha and on to Johannesburg. No matter how you fly, and I’ve tried many routes, it’s a long way from Alaska to South Africa.
I arrived into Johannesburg at 4:00 AM. It took no time to clear customs and get my luggage. It took a bit longer to clear my rifles as I didn’t have enough time to pre-clear them before arriving. With that said, we were eating breakfast by 8:30, 2.5 hours north of Johannesburg in the Waterberg Mountains.
We went and shot the rifles, took a siesta, and was hunting by 15:00 hours. We saw a variety of wildlife including a number of Cape Buffalo in the thick stuff. I should mention that my main goals of this safari were Buffalo, Sable, copper springbok, and night critters. We spotted a very good sable and we were off on the stalk. Approximately 10 feet into the bush, I had a thorn go through my boot and into my toe. This wasn’t overly pleasant.At dark we returned to a fantastic meal and a well deserved rest. My PH for the hunt was Rouen Nel and his son Branden. Both very capable hunters and gentlemen in the truest sense of the word.
Day 2: we started early checking waterholes and looking for Buffalo tracks. We found Buffalo but no hard bossed bulls. As we were driving, Rouen spotted a very good sable. We kept driving and then stopped and got off the truck. After stalking back, we were able to get about 50 yards from the sable, a lone bull. I got on the sticks and waited for the magic words “take him”. The .375 with 300 grain swift Aframes did their job and the sable went less than 20 yards. What a sable it was with big massive horns that curled to 46 inches. To say I was happy would be a great understatement.
Image1625801250.649531.jpg

Days 3 and 4: These days were full of chasing Buffalo and blown stalks. It was a bit frustrating at times but also exhilarating. We had wildebeest and impalas blow stalks for us. We just couldn’t make it work but it felt like we were getting closer. If we could only see them before they see us we might have a chance.

Day 5: Today was the day it all came together. We found tracks early and followed them. After nearly losing the tracks due to a herd of zebras walking over them we were at a loss for what to do. We were each standing about 20 yards apart when our tracker Philiman spotted the Buffalo. We slowly and methodically started our stalk. The three bulls had no idea we were there. Two of the bulls were feeding away while one bull fed towards us. We positioned ourselves about 50 yards from the bull and I got on the sticks. We had to wait several minutes as the bull was facing us with his head down feeding. He finally raised his head and looked away. This gave me time to settle the bright green Trijicon triangle on his chest and squeeze the trigger. At the shot, the big bull bucked and spun. He proceeded about 30 yards and began to wobble. He then went down within sight. I was elated. We gave him an insurance shot and the bull was mine. When you walk up to a Buffalo bull it will cause an adrenaline dump. It sure did for me. After many pictures we loaded the bull for the ride back to the skinning shed. A scotch and a cigar were the order for the evening.
Image1625802536.384834.jpg
Image1625802560.120769.jpg

Day 6: We worked hard today to locate a copper springbok. After hours of looking, Rouen called a neighbor and got permission to hunt on their place. We went in the late afternoon. Rouen immediately found a good ram and put me in great position about 40 yards away. I got on the sticks and promptly missed. I felt really stupid. I likened it to missing an extra point to loose the Super Bowl. I knew I shot over his back. I took my ball and went home, but was determined to return in the morning.

Day 7: We returned to hunt springbok again. After looking around we found a good ram and began a stalk. After closing the distance, I was once again on the sticks, this time the shot was true. Upon further examination the ram had a small cut of the skin above the shoulders. That cut was caused by my miss the day before. We found the same ram and was able to close the deal.
Image1625803321.177978.jpg

Day 8-14: We spent the nights hunting a variety of critters. I was able to harvest a civet and saw several honey badgers, and bush pigs. I just wasn’t able to close the deal. On a funny side note, I got my first scope bite from leaning in a little to much on my civet and got bitten by my .270
Image1625803684.678067.jpg

I was also lucky to harvest an amazing black impala.
Image1625803735.939708.jpg

I would like everyone to know what a special place Tsala Safaris is. I have been to Africa 8 times and would give them the highest marks in all facets of the business. To me, more importantly, they make you feel like family. The entire family will go out of their way to make sure your experience is the absolute best it can be. As a teacher of 36 years, Tsala Safaris earns an A+ in my book.
Gary Walker
Alaska, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
From one Alaskan to another... congrats!

Tsala does a good job. Congrats on your hunt.
Bruce

Congrats - Some great trophies!

Looks like you had a great trip! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats for a great hunt and some very good trophies !

Some fine trophies, but my favorite is the civet. Congratulations!

That Sable is what dreams are made of!!! Great impala too!!!

I’m hunting with them mid September if this Covid doesn’t mess that up. Thanks for the report and pics, makes me really look forward to it.

That's a fine hunt report, Gary. It is always good to hear positive things about one of the sponsors on this site. I personally find the sponsors here to be a special group, having hunted with several of them. And while I always say that the quality of a hunt cannot be measured with a tape..... I gotta admit, those are some very fine trophies you took with Tsala.........'grats to hunter and operator both....thanks for the post..................FWB

Thank you very much for the kind words Gary!

So glad you enjoyed your hunt with us and great having you in camp.

Regards

Rouan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross