SOUTH AFRICA: TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS Hunt Report

Congratulations all around. Great Buffalo. You and your wife have done really well so far.

Enjoying reading your hunt report, congrats on exceptional animals you and your wife have taken! Looking forward to reading more!

Awesome Buffalo and great report so far

Beautiful guns and great shooting. The Buffalo and Sable are really special animals!!

Fantastic! Congratulations on your successes! Thanks for the great write-up and photos.

Very nice looking guns to boot...and is that a Von Gruff knife I see in the case as well? :)

Fantastic! Congratulations on your successes! Thanks for the great write-up and photos.

Very nice looking guns to boot...and is that a Von Gruff knife I see in the case as well? :)
Thanks Randy and good spot on the Von Gruff! Functional work of art and had to have one for the trip.
@Von Gruff

Great report with some cracker animals Nathan. Love the buff and the sable. nice to see the safari knife out and about. That was a really nice piece of spalted maple.

Day 7

This was a special morning for me as last night after dinner my wonderful wife had finally “seen the light” and blessed off on me going after another buff bull. I think the various subtle clues that Rouan and I elegantly left may have actually worked. Having the first bull down already, I would be looking for a corker of a second bull or needle in a haystack if you will.

The morning “plan” was made which had my wife heading back to the water in search of a croc with Brandon while Rouan, Herman and I would start the process of looking for buff again. We dropped them off near the dam, wished them luck and asked to be radioed if a shot was taken. Rouan had a few areas he wanted to check and see if any buff had been through lately, so we took out for these locations. We did find a good-sized herd but after a closer look they were cows/calves and young bulls so we let them be. With time pushing closer to lunch, we decided to pick up the croc hunters and go get a bite to eat. After another fabulous meal we once again dropped off Brandon and my wife for the afternoon dam sit. The rest of us pointed the truck towards the mountain gap to see if we might spy some bulls up top. While winding our way through the mountain gap we came across a massive bull that had great bosses and width but not what I was holding out for. We watched him at a distance but didn’t take him long to realize we were there, and he thundered off into the thickets. We continued the search but after a couple hours I could have sworn I heard a rifle shot. Wasn’t long after asking Rouan if he had heard it, a call came in over the radio. Off we went to the dam where the hunters were left. Pulling up and seeing the smile on my wife’s face, I knew in fact it was her shot I heard. She explained to us how her and Brandon waited motionless under the canopy of a bush for the target croc to show himself. While waiting she described all the little things that I so often take for granted. They had Impala rams fighting within 50 yards and the variety of butterflies/moths were described to me in great detail. They waited motionless for some time before a croc was spotted with his head on the side bank. After a while longer he drug himself up the bank enough for Brandon to make the decision that it was a good one and for her to take her shot. At the shot the croc started tail whipping and eventually ended up back in the water. I’ve read and watched enough to know this scenario isn’t what she was looking for but Brandon assured her it was a solid hit and the croc wouldn’t take long to die. We fashioned a treble hook of sorts and took turns trying to snag the croc but to no avail. My hats off to Brandon as his plan was NOT something I had in mind for locating the croc BUT goes to show their dedication to a plan. I will let the pictures do the explaining. She ended up with a wonderful croc and this hunt has spurred interest in her doing another down the road as she enjoyed it that much. Not sure where she plans on putting another croc in the house but guess we will climb that mountain when we get to it. Over a glass of nice red wine she recalled the events of the day and how peaceful it had been leading up to the shot. Truly thankful to Brandon for helping her achieve this goal.

IMG_20211010_120218314_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20211010_115930580.jpg
IMG_20211010_120008327.jpg
IMG_20211010_143047729_BURST000_COVER.jpg
DSC00486.JPG

Congrats to both of you, great animals so far :D Cheers:

Day 8

Today it was planned for the girls (Jo & my wife) to enjoy a spa day while the rest of us continued looking for bulls. During the morning hunt we managed to see several nice hard bossed bulls but passed in hopes of locating a bull that was seen prior to our arrival. Highlights for the day was eating at a local pizza shop before visiting the elephant park and having sundowners on a rock plateau while watching a gorgeous sunset. Truly spectacular!

20211008_172954.jpg
1008211806b_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211008_155744917.jpg

Just wow! What a sable! And that croc too! Congratulations all around! Can’t wait for the next instalment!

Day 9-12

These days were spent in the bush in hopes of catching up to the bull we were after. The daily routine stayed consistent and meant us putting miles on tires and boot soles. We were rewarded one evening when we caught glimpse of 2 bulls making their way up a ravine thicket. A quick bino check from Rouan and we were off the truck and making our way up the ravine in hopes of catching up with the bulls before we lost light. We took it slow and eventually spotted 1 of the bulls and maneuvered in for a shot. As I shouldered the 470 the bull lifted his head and was staring right at us. At the shot it was obvious he was hit but turned and ran. We found good blood and lots of blood that was pooled up where he stood for a bit. We simply ran out of light to track the bull safely and effectively. The next morning was spent tracking and all stops were pulled in finding this bull. We were short on time and needed to find this bull. Back at the lodge we watched the video footage of the shot repeatedly. Everyone agreed it looked good and felt positive he would be found. Sure didn’t think he would have made it as far as he did but he was found near a waterhole a good distance from the initial shot. Upon skinning him out my shot was low on the shoulder/leg and cut the bottom of the lungs/brisket. The tenacity and size of this bull is something I will never forget. It was a privilege and honor to have hunted such a bull and I will never forget all the ups and downs involved with both bulls.

IMG-20220114-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20220114-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20220116-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220116-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220116-WA0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We cannot thank the Tsala Team enough for everything. From the moment you are meet at JNB everything just feels like your visiting family. The accommodations are great and meals flat out fabulous (Thanks Jo!). Herman the tracker was on his game and was a pleasure watching him do his job. I couldn’t leave without trying out Herman’s little bush tracker vehicle. It was a tight fit but I got all 6’3” in there. Everyone thought it funny as I couldn’t get out because there wasn't a door latch handle on the inside! Eventually Herman paroled me from my cell. I visited the skinning and salt shed a couple times and all our animals were properly taken care of. Brandon went above and beyond for us and an amazing PH that doesn’t let up when out hunting. Rouan and his wonderful wife Charmaine (sp) put the icing on the cake, from the sundowner evening to the knowledge and guidance by Rouan out in the field.

Our cameraman did a great job and glad we made the decision to have the trip videoed, although it will test your patience that's for sure. We had no need to tote a camera around for pictures and used our cellphone for the limited pictures we did take. Video arrived about 2 weeks ago and very well put together. Was nice reliving the hunt while watching the 90 min production.

Without question you will be in excellent hands at Tsala!

IMG_9453.jpeg
1015210939_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the croc and another fantastic buff!

What a buffalo! Congratulations once again! You two did very well!

We cannot thank the Tsala Team enough for everything. From the moment you are meet at JNB everything just feels like your visiting family. The accommodations are great and meals flat out fabulous (Thanks Jo!). Herman the tracker was on his game and was a pleasure watching him do his job. I couldn’t leave without trying out Herman’s little bush tracker vehicle. It was a tight fit but I got all 6’3” in there. Everyone thought it funny as I couldn’t get out because there wasn't a door latch handle on the inside! Eventually Herman paroled me from my cell. I visited the skinning and salt shed a couple times and all our animals were properly taken care of. Brandon went above and beyond for us and an amazing PH that doesn’t let up when out hunting. Rouan and his wonderful wife Charmaine (sp) put the icing on the cake, from the sundowner evening to the knowledge and guidance by Rouan out in the field.

Our cameraman did a great job and glad we made the decision to have the trip videoed, although it will test your patience that's for sure. We had no need to tote a camera around for pictures and used our cellphone for the limited pictures we did take. Video arrived about 2 weeks ago and very well put together. Was nice reliving the hunt while watching the 90 min production.

Without question you will be in excellent hands at Tsala!

View attachment 447223View attachment 447225
Congratulations and brings back great memories! Please explain how the videoing of the hunt was arranged? Love the idea and would like to know how it was set up and cost range please

thanks!

Congratulations and brings back great memories! Please explain how the videoing of the hunt was arranged? Love the idea and would like to know how it was set up and cost range please

thanks!
Process was pretty simple. I will send you a PM shortly.

Nice report and hunt thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber