Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Finally getting caught up with life and wanted to give a review of our recent trip with Tsala Hunting Safaris. As most recent reports have started, this trip was initially planned for May 2020 but the China flu hit and put a crimp in our (everyone’s) plans. We rescheduled the trip for October 2021 with hopes flights would be open.

Who: Tsala Hunting Safaris

Where: Waterberg Biosphere of the Limpopo Province

When: October 2nd-15th 2021

Travel: We used United for all legs. Nashville/Newark /Joburg.

Travel Agency: Travel with Guns (TWG)

Firearms: Custom VZ-24 in 300 H&H as well as my Heym 88b in 470

Filming: Gert at Hunt Productions

Primary (initial) Animals of interests: Buffalo/Sable/Croc/Zebra

Pre-permits: Went with Henry and his team at Riflepermits

Day prior to our flight we made a short run into Nashville for our Covid tests. Very convenient process as they have a drive-thru set up and you can wait for your results. At $250 a test I wouldn’t be using this option on a weekly basis. With our results in hand, it was back to the house to check our rifles and luggage one last time.

Day of flight we arrive at the Nashville airport roughly 4 hours prior to departure in hopes this would allow enough buffer in case we had issues with rifle check in and such. Turns out the check in was fast and efficient, could not have been more pleased. After a few hour layover in Newark, we were enroute for Joburg.

Upon landing/deboarding we were greeted by one of Henry’s team members from Riflepermits that got us through the process without issue. Once entering the main hall, Rouan Nel owner of Tsala Safaris was waiting with Gert our camera operator and we were off to the SAPS office to collect our rifles. With the preapproved permits it was a breeze, maybe a 10 minute process once the rifle case showed up.

Once we have everything loaded up in the truck, we start the 2.5 hour drive North towards the Waterberg region of the Limpopo. Must say when I initially spoke to Rouan and he told me about the terrain and “hills” that make up the Waterberg area, I did not think what they called hills to be mountains. It was a welcomed sight as I knew there will be sore muscles at the end of each day, and we would be putting in the effort for whatever we went after.

We arrived at camp in darkness and welcomed by the Tsala family. We had a quick bite to eat before heading to our cottage for much needed sleep.

0925211011_HDR.jpg
1015211206.jpg
IMG_20211006_190320789.jpg
IMG_20211004_071012575_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211006_190833088.jpg

Very nice looking rifles for a nicely put together hunt. I am looking forward to your report.

Day 1

As always, not much sleep for us on the first night. Anticipation of the hunt and jet leg always has an impact the first night or two.

Each morning we would meet at the boma area or the team would pick us up at our cottage and we would head out for the morning/evening. Most days we had both Rouan and Brandon as our PH’s and Herman our tracker/driver. We all came to an agreement that we would focus on the buffalo first and then shift to plains game.

After verifying the .300 and 470 were still printing properly we took a drive to see what animals might be up and about. The bush was starting to get thick with new growth and we did see a few buffalo the first day but the moment they seen, smelled, or heard us they were crashing through the bush and gone. I learned fast that these buffalo were NOT like some of the buffalo I had watched on Youtube that stood there and stared at you waiting to be shot.

Back to camp for lunch, rest and back at it around 1400ish. We would cut tracks crossing roads, preferably looking for a lone track of considerable size. From there start tracking/walking with hopes of catching up to the bull leaving the print. No such luck on the first day for us but damn is it a good feeling to be back in Africa again.

Highlight for day 1 was coming across a leopard kill and tracks. We would find another kill a few days later.

Chris the server/bartender would greet us in the evening with a drink and warm towel. While Chef Jo put together some outstanding dinners and deserts that we are still trying to properly replicate back in the States.

Was a great first day and we seen lots of plains game animals as well as a few buffalo.

IMG_20211004_092034489.jpg
IMG_20211004_145027670.jpg
IMG_20211006_172524911_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211006_103117386.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally getting caught up with life and wanted to give a review of our recent trip with Tsala Hunting Safaris. As most recent reports have started, this trip was initially planned for May 2020 but the China flu hit and put a crimp in our (everyone’s) plans. We rescheduled the trip for October 2021 with hopes flights would be open.

Who: Tsala Hunting Safaris

Where: Waterberg Biosphere of the Limpopo Province

When: October 2nd-15th 2021

Travel: We used United for all legs. Nashville/Newark /Joburg.

Travel Agency: Travel with Guns (TWG)

Firearms: Custom VZ-24 in 300 H&H as well as my Heym 88b in 470

Filming: Gert at Hunt Productions

Primary (initial) Animals of interests: Buffalo/Sable/Croc/Zebra

Pre-permits: Went with Henry and his team at Riflepermits

Day prior to our flight we made a short run into Nashville for our Covid tests. Very convenient process as they have a drive-thru set up and you can wait for your results. At $250 a test I wouldn’t be using this option on a weekly basis. With our results in hand, it was back to the house to check our rifles and luggage one last time.

Day of flight we arrive at the Nashville airport roughly 4 hours prior to departure in hopes this would allow enough buffer in case we had issues with rifle check in and such. Turns out the check in was fast and efficient, could not have been more pleased. After a few hour layover in Newark, we were enroute for Joburg.

Upon landing/deboarding we were greeted by one of Henry’s team members from Riflepermits that got us through the process without issue. Once entering the main hall, Rouan Nel owner of Tsala Safaris was waiting with Gert our camera operator and we were off to the SAPS office to collect our rifles. With the preapproved permits it was a breeze, maybe a 10 minute process once the rifle case showed up.

Once we have everything loaded up in the truck, we start the 2.5 hour drive North towards the Waterberg region of the Limpopo. Must say when I initially spoke to Rouan and he told me about the terrain and “hills” that make up the Waterberg area, I did not think what they called hills to be mountains. It was a welcomed sight as I knew there will be sore muscles at the end of each day, and we would be putting in the effort for whatever we went after.

We arrived at camp in darkness and welcomed by the Tsala family. We had a quick bite to eat before heading to our cottage for much needed sleep.

View attachment 446869View attachment 446897View attachment 446898View attachment 446900View attachment 446904
Hunted with them in July took 5 animals and a wonderful Buff! Awesome hunt and family!!!

Day 2-3

Up early for a light breakfast and back out looking for tracks. These days we had a bit of a cold front, and the animals were hunkered down pretty tight. We tracked and walked a lot but just could not close the deal. Just when you think the plan is going to come together the wind would swirl and the sound of crashing through the bush could be heard.

My wife by now has had lots of time to see the various game and starting to take notice on how nice this and that animal looks. I know exactly what that means...

Was always nice to hang out at the "bush bar" with Mr Chris and my best buddy Ngala.

IMG_20211014_154449004_BURST016.jpg
IMG_20211009_110806318.jpg
IMG_20211007_073534271.jpg
IMG_20211004_145027670.jpg
IMG_20211004_100709933.jpg
IMG_20211006_084058627.jpg
IMG_20211014_120102148.jpg
IMG_20211014_191517693_BURST003.jpg

Day 4 (Shoot!)

Awoke this morning to a light refreshing wind and after our morning breakfast ritual, we were loaded and off looking for tracks. We found fresh tracks of what was decided to be a group of 3 or 4 bulls and Rouan and Brandon thought we should give it a go. With rifles loaded and Herman on the track, off we went through the bush. Can’t say for sure how long or far we had tracked before the spoor turned hot but we felt the buff couldn’t be much further ahead. Within the next 100 or so yards everyone froze as large black spots could be seen in the thicket to the front of us. The wind was in our favor as we closed the distance. We maneuvered to within 50 yards where Rouan was able to determine if a worthy bull was present or not. I’m not one to get overly excited but when Rouan leaned back and said “this is your bull” I could feel the uptick in heartbeats per second. Everything was going so well as I identified the correct bull, took one step to the side of the bush for a clear shot and then felt a swirl of wind on my neck. Wasn’t a second later that all hell broke loose with the bulls making a rapid exit stage left. As Rouan stated, buffalo hunting is full of ups and downs. Couldn’t agree more.

With the bulls gone we figured it was time to get some water and make a plan, so back to the truck we went. Not much talking by anyone as we made our way back on a game path. We were about halfway back when I glanced to my right as we came around a small thicket and seen a lone bull lift his head and was staring right at me. At the same second the bull and I made eye contact I heard Brandon say shoot. As I shoulder the Heym the bull started to run. He didn’t take but a few steps before the right barrel hit him on the shoulder. We waited but a few minutes to regroup and head in after him. We found him standing maybe 50 yards from where I initially shot, with blood pumping out the initial entrance hole. I shot again and the bull collapsed with the death bellow following. Emotional and grateful are the two words that can describe the feeling in the moment. After paying respects I finally laid my hands on his boss with all the busted and missing pieces. His teeth were worn down to the gumline. Such an amazing animal and at that moment I understood why so many folks have numerous buff hunts under their belt. It’s flat out addicting!

IMG_20211007_112700361.jpg
IMG_20211007_103516218_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211007_111419525_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211007_102818212.jpg
IMG_20211007_103757607_HDR.jpg

WOW!!! Awesome bull and great poise by you making that off hand shot like that!!! Congratulations on a great bull!

Heck of a bull. Grats. Waiting for rest of the story!.......FWB

Congrats @ BnC 04 ! That is a mighty fine buffalo! Hope you get some more use out of your 470 for the remainder of the trip!

Thanks for sharing!

Day 5

With the buff in the salt, it was time for my wife to get to it and see what she can do with her 300 H&H. We came across lots of game first thing in the morning but either wrong species or deemed too young still. Around 0900 Rouan spotted 2 Sable bulls and after a quick bino check they were off the truck and stalking in for a closer look. I was last in line now and following the cameraman. I watched Rouan put the sticks out at around the 100 yard mark and shortly thereafter a shot rang out and I watched the Sable bull hit the ground. Her shot was true and her bull was down for the count. Such a regal and magnificent animal! Rouan was especially excited as he said this bull was truly special regarding size. We are not all about numbers but for those interested, one side was 45.5” and other 43” something. Truly a Sable of a lifetime.

With her Sable in the salt it was a perfect time for lunch and a quick siesta. The afternoon we were again on the hunt and looking for Zebra. Finding them wasn’t hard but once we stopped the truck even at a distance, they would bolt. We came to the conclusion that if they see us first it was hopeless to attempt a stalk. Nearing late evening Rouan spotted 4 Zebra that hadn’t seen us first and felt them worthy of a stalk. After a 15 minute stalk, Rouan dropped the sticks and a shot rang out. Another great shot and the Zebra ran 15-20 yards, reared up backwards and feel dead. She was rewarded with a beautiful stallion. She was all smiles today and rightfully so.

With the Sable and now Zebra in the skinning shed it was time to enjoy some great food, glass of wine and a scotch or two.

IMG_9423.jpeg
DSC00448.JPG

Congrats on an excellent Buff and Sabel! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Day 6

Time for her to get serious with getting a crack at a croc. Since the hottest part of the day is best for scouting the banks for croc, we decided to use the morning to see if we could find a big Golden Wildebeest. We stalked into an area that had a good-sized herd of both Blue and Golden Wildebeest feeding. We stayed put for some time watching the animals graze back and forth in hopes Mr Right would present a shot. Unfortunately, the bull we were after knew the game and decided he felt more comfortable putting some distance between us and him.

With it now nearing mid-day Rouan and Brandon thought it wise to go take a look and see if any crocs were out on the banks. The property has several dams that the crocs travel between and we would check each in hopes of finding something of size. We did see a few smaller crocs on or by the bank of a couple dams but nothing of interest. After checking one of the dams we found a croc slide that Rouan thought worthy for us to check back on after lunch.

After a great lunch we headed straight back to the dam that had the slide. Stopping the truck a good ways off we started to stalk in and see if we could catch sight of the croc. As we neared the dam, Rouan spotted movement near the bank and it was decided that he and my wife would sit for a while under a tree while the rest of us waited out of sight in a bow blind nearby. It didn’t take long for me to come to grips that croc hunting is not for me. The sitting and waiting isn’t my preferred tactic but the game of choice dictates the method of hunting so I sat patiently.
Unfortunately, no Croc during that sit but to my surprise she absolutely loved that method of hunting them and was looking forward to doing it again.

It was back to looking for a Golden Wildebeest and by chance an old single bull was located near a group of Blue’s within an hour of us beginning the hunt. We began a stalk through the bush in hopes of approaching undetected but with a cameraman in tow the stalks don't always go favorably. We were fortunate this stalk went great. Once her target was within range it was just a matter of letting the bull turn for a proper shot. He turned and the shot rang out. I watched the bull buck at the shot and could immediately see blood pumping out his left side. After a 30 yard tracking job she put her hands on a gorgeous Golden Wildebeest bull.

The plot thickens come day 7...

DSC00450.JPG
IMG_20211004_094326007.jpg
IMG_20211010_115142518.jpg

Awesome buff, congrats!

Day 5

With the buff in the salt, it was time for my wife to get to it and see what she can do with her 300 H&H. We came across lots of game first thing in the morning but either wrong species or deemed too young still. Around 0900 Rouan spotted 2 Sable bulls and after a quick bino check they were off the truck and stalking in for a closer look. I was last in line now and following the cameraman. I watched Rouan put the sticks out at around the 100 yard mark and shortly thereafter a shot rang out and I watched the Sable bull hit the ground. Her shot was true and her bull was down for the count. Such a regal and magnificent animal! Rouan was especially excited as he said this bull was truly special regarding size. We are not all about numbers but for those interested, one side was 45.5” and other 43” something. Truly a Sable of a lifetime.

With her Sable in the salt it was a perfect time for lunch and a quick siesta. The afternoon we were again on the hunt and looking for Zebra. Finding them wasn’t hard but once we stopped the truck even at a distance, they would bolt. We came to the conclusion that if they see us first it was hopeless to attempt a stalk. Nearing late evening Rouan spotted 4 Zebra that hadn’t seen us first and felt them worthy of a stalk. After a 15 minute stalk, Rouan dropped the sticks and a shot rang out. Another great shot and the Zebra ran 15-20 yards, reared up backwards and feel dead. She was rewarded with a beautiful stallion. She was all smiles today and rightfully so.

With the Sable and now Zebra in the skinning shed it was time to enjoy some great food, glass of wine and a scotch or two.

View attachment 446979View attachment 446980
Congratulations to your wife on two great animals…the Sable is exceptional

And congrats to your wife on a great Sable!

Congrats on some fine animals so far! Sable is awesome! Keep the report coming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you