SOUTH AFRICA: Troskie Hunt Review. 59+ Inch Kudu And More Highly Recommended Outfitter

mtcraigco

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.crossbreedholsters.com
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
New member of SCI
Hunted
USA, Africa
OK all I know its been forever since I was on here a few eeks ago with a few quick reports about my recent safari with Chris Troskie but I'm home now and am posting a more detailed review of the trip. Pics and descriptions follow, enjoy :cool:

We overnight-ed at Africa House upon arrival in jo-berg due to the last hour and some logistics. I must say it was a+ accommodations and a great nights rest after a long flight.

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Chris and Sabina picked us up the next AM and we headed for his base camp ( lodge really) near Lephalele
We had a very comfortable two person chalet to ourselves and could not have asked for any better. :)

IMG_1776.jpg

Meals were prepared each evening by Sabina and I have to tell you this woman is an INCREDIBLE cook!
Even if she were not gracious and attractive, I'm sure Chris would have married her for the food alone. LOL
Good meals, comfortable lodging, gracious hosts and some nice stiff drinks, who could ask for more in a lodge/base camp? Certainly not my daughter and I.

There's too much to write to include every little detail so we'll just hit the highlights, but let me say that Chris will do everything to get you on the game. He is diligent, knows his concessions and has great contacts in the area for plentiful game opportunities. Have no fear, Chris delivers!

A nice Zebra was the first kill, I took her at about 70yds in brush with a solid frontal hit. She didn't go far but we had a bit of a time finding her as several Zebs scattered in various directions and she didn't bleed as there was no exit wound. Chris's Jack Russel, 'Mrs Walker" saved us from what as sure to be more searching.

IMG_1787.jpg

The next kill was to be the trophy of a lifetime and the best of the hunt. A 59 6/8 Kudu! I took him from about 200yds off hand, as he moved side-hill across the ridge. The first round connected and crippled him (shattered off side shoulder) and he began coming downhill quite a bit, he then turned and started going up and although he was certainly not going far, Chris asked if I could hit him again, I drew down, let 1/2 breath out and anchored him with a neck shot. I put one last round into his boiler room for good measure and we started up after him. We really didn't know HOW HUGE this ole boy was until we got up there to him. Being a beginner it took me awhile for it to sink in just what a great animal this was. Ill likely never duplicate this one, cant wait to see him on the wall! If this was all I got on that safari, Id have considered it a successful trip!

IMG_1819.jpg

The view from where I took him, the little black dot is close in scale to his size, my daughter stood in the exact spot to recreate the pic. You can just make her out with her arms outstretched. Ill never forget those 3 rounds and the exhilaration of connecting each one on such challenging shots.

kudu_shot_distance.jpg

more in the following post............

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 129
  • kudu_shot_distance.jpg
    kudu_shot_distance.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 95
We didnt connect with anything the next two days and the hunting got hard and slow, but that's why it's called hunting and not shooting!

Waiting on the safari truck after a 2.5 hour wildebeest stalk. Busted...damn wind!

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

The next day was my daughters day and she connected with a 51 inch Kudu and a very nice Nyala, both within 30 mins and 50 yds of each other. That's the way it goes sometimes LOL

MrknTri_2ndKuduCmprsd-1.jpg

Tori_NyalaComprrssd.jpg

That day made for one happy young lady!
:clapping:

continued.......

Attachments

• IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 101
  • MrknTri_2ndKuduCmprsd-1.jpg
    MrknTri_2ndKuduCmprsd-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Tori_NyalaComprrssd.jpg
    Tori_NyalaComprrssd.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 99
Next to the last day, we sat in the shade in a secret spot and watched Impala come to the river to drink, waiting on a couple big ones. We connected again. :)

DSCN2269.jpg

DSCN2274.jpg

If you ever go with Chris on safari, ask him about why we named my rifle "The Freight Train" after taking that first Impala at about 100 yds. Good story. :cool:

I took a decent warthog the next day, but don't have a pic handy. Nothing spectacular, but a good specimen we hunted hard for and earned the hard way.

The last day before leaving, Chris and I hunted again, this time looking for bushbuck, the result was a very nice buck taken in heavy cover at a but under 100yds. One shot and the "freight Train" did her thing again.

DSCN2280.jpg

I hope all here at Africa Hunting enjoyed the pics and brief stories, I highly recommend Chris Troskie for a hunt, whether you're a first timer or a veteran.

:clapping:

Attachments

• DSCN2269.jpg
    DSCN2269.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN2274.jpg
    DSCN2274.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN2280.jpg
    DSCN2280.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 81
Congrats for a great hunt and good trophies, specially that kudu ! I hunted that area in 2008 with Elandsbosch Safaris near Steenbokpan.

Thanks for sharing.

Congrats to both of you, great trophies. I love the cape on the Bushbuck (and of course the Kudu).

Trip of a life time with your daughter.

nice trophy's and photo's

Thanks for the details. Nice pics. You're right about the Kudu. Great trophy. You'll remember that trip for a long time. Congrats. Bruce

Some super nice trophies! Great memories!

congrats on a excellent hunt and very nice trophies

congrats on a monster kudu!

Great trophies - I'm drooling again...

Well done and great job on that monster Kudu!

sounds like you and the girl had an awsome trip
great tropies
great revue
and most definately great memories
thanks for sharing

Congrats to you and your daughter on a great hunt and some Awesome trophies.

Thank you for the followup post.
Congratulations to you both, again!

Thanks for the great review! And congratulations on an awesome hunt with your daughter, some truly great animals you got.

Thanks for the report. Deff have some great memories.

Congratulations on your trophys! Well done, I hunted near Steenbokpan, with Fauna Africa in 2010.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg