SOUTH AFRICA: Trip Five Bos en Dal SAFARIS Countdown

Both of those are amazing!

You will have a great time at Bos en Dal.
Plenty of Blues here for sure! I have taken two cull cows with 6.5 PRC. Both head shots, and a stud of a Bull!! Will all be in my full report when I am done.

LOVE hunting blues... probably my favorite PG animal to chase..

Hoping to possibly take another one with my bow when Im there in July..

Looking forward to your report!

Looking forward to the rest of the story. Mark i will need to also give you a call to talk about those 156 Bergers.

Looking forward to the rest of the story. Mark i will need to also give you a call to talk about those 156 Bergers.

No problem. Will post up report soon. Flying back now. Bergers worked real good on plains game I took.

No problem. Will post up report soon. Flying back now. Bergers worked real good on plains game I took.
I have had really good luck with "match type" bullets. I have killed whitetail, elk, black bear, pronghorn all with no issue. The bergers are definitely killers!

I didnt realize you were hunting with bergers this time.. I thought you were still shooting a-frames almost exclusively..

Definitely curious to hear how they performed.. (although I dont see me converting from TSX/TTSX any time soon since theres already 1000+ rounds loaded up across a dozen different calibers lol)..

I didnt realize you were hunting with bergers this time.. I thought you were still shooting a-frames almost exclusively..

Definitely curious to hear how they performed.. (although I dont see me converting from TSX/TTSX any time soon since theres already 1000+ rounds loaded up across a dozen different calibers lol)..
What are the smallest calibers you are using them in though? I feel like (T)TSX effectiveness drops with each step below .30. I tend to think (no experience yet) that 6.5mm bullets benefit from a more rapid expansion/energy transfer; as opposed to pure weight retention.

What are the smallest calibers you are using them in though? I feel like (T)TSX effectiveness drops with each step below .30. I tend to think (no experience yet) that 6.5mm bullets benefit from a more rapid expansion/energy transfer; as opposed to pure weight retention.

I load TTSX and TSX for everything from 243 to 416 and load the TAC-TX bullet for 300 BLK.

No issues with any of them.. as long as you have enough impact velocity on a barnes bullet (theyre not great at slow speeds.. wouldnt be my first choice for something like a 45-70, etc) they have always performed stellar for me..

6.5 PRC with Barnes 127 LRX all dialed in and ready for wheels up in exactly a week! Second trip with Gamka Safaris and looking forward to taking the PRC this go round. Finished verifying dope this evening from 1,000 yards and in, and shot 3/8” MOA groups at 600. Looking to keep all shots on game to 300 yds or less, but those monkeys and baboons at distance might not be so lucky!

The Berger 156 was heaviest factory load I could find for trip. Wanted something heavier than 140. 156 made some nice holes for sure. Did mostly head neck shots with it culling. Shot one Impala in shoulder and it destroyed it. Bushbuck was neck shot. All I could see above soybeans. Taxidermist will have a hole on left side to deal with! Will hammer a Blue wildebeest cow when hit between eyes.

Still on return plane flight. Will start new thread tonight recapping the 12 day safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!