SOUTH AFRICA: TRI-Fold Safari

The visit to the lion research facility was good. They also covered many of the problem in trying to do artificial insemination in the big cats, they were doing detail research on the white lion gene. The two main Dr.s doing the research were from South Africa and Germany.

Did a walk through the park and everyone got to pet cheetahs, six month old and 3 month old lion cubs.

DSC_0274.JPG
DSC_0299.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG

On the way back PC laughed and said I was a bad man for using both experiences as an opportunity to select proper shot placement drill on both elephant and lion. My response was “Like you weren't doing the same thing:)” I am looking forward to seeing this young PH develop in the coming years.

Had a 3 hour drive back to the lodge and a nice dinner. After dinner PC took Sonya, myself and Barry out to try and call in some jackal's or get lucky and see a caracal. Had a nice couple hours but no luck. However just seeing all the starts without any light pollution was very nice.
Day 20

Today was an easy day to settle up final bills, take pictures around camp and start to reflect on the tri-fold experience. Made sure of all my notes in the journal to make sure I forgot nothing. Pieter gave me a USB stick with all the photo's he took and a couple raw video's of the hippo and reedbuck hunts.

Spent time packing and getting all the paperwork needed for travel together.

We had a nice drink on the hilltop behind the main lodge to watch the last sunset in the bush on this trip. Now it is time to start planning a 2020 safari.
IMG_2418.JPG

Motsomi Impressions.

Nice lodges, we didn't get to see their Sable lodge but the Main and Driekoppen lodge are comfortable and clean.

Professional service! They worked with me to make the second the third part of this trip a major success. They took care of our non-hunter friends while we were hunting and made sure that everyone had a great time.
The equipment was all in top notch shape and well maintained.

Motosomi Safari's is also a class act. Their motto of “Come as a client & leave as a Friend! Is %100 correct.
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG

Day 21

Time to go home. Had a good breakfast. Took the final pictures and RIA and PC droves us to Sun City where a transportation service took over the rest of the way to Joberg. We made one stop at the Wildebeest outdoor gear store close to the airport. I have a nice pair of Danner stalker's that have a super soft sole and are VERY quiet to stalk in. Alas they don't make it any more so Pieter arranged for us to stop so I could buy a pair of the booth that most of the PH's use that have the nice soft rubber sole and are super quiet!

Bruce from Gracy travel met us at the curb and assisted with the firearms and checkin procedures. Thank you Gracy travel. Had to move a few things between suitcases to keep both mine and Sonya's under the weight limits.

The flight back to Atlanta was it's normal just plain long, and the east to west flight are always the ones I feel the most so just have to suck it up and deal with it. Two books and several movies later and we are doing the customs and firearm dance. A hot meal and short flight to Tucson, hour drive home and being greeted by our two dogs. LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Final Impressions for the whole Tri-Fold Safari:

Intrepid Safaris and Motosomi Safaris are a CLASS ACT that deliver everything they promise and more.

Phillip and Anske & Pieter and Ria will forever be our friends. They all did so much to ensure that all our friends had an amazing first time in Africa experience.

We are lucky to have worked with both companies and we are grateful for all the help and assistance to make planning this adventure for our two groups much easier.

Some one looking for their 1st or 30th safaris will find either company prepared to give them a safari of their dreams.

Madikwe Buffalo Safari lodge is a community owned and operated photo safari lodge. They provide a great service, with knowledgeable staff . T

The rooms and lodge were very nice and well maintained.

Their location on a nice ridge overlooking a waterhole is well placed.

They tried very hard to get an opportunity to see wild dogs for Sonya- however the dogs didn't get the memo.

Would book with them again.

General planning:

Trip organization for a large group is always kinda like herding cats. Make sure that all the group gets along, is patient and flexible. Mr Murphy has a way of testing folks on a trip. Have plan B and C to deal with problems. IE if there is a troublesome person you can always use them for lion/leapord/hyena bait. Never had to use that option with good prior planning.

All in All this was a very successful safari they we will be able to celebrate with our friends every time we all get together. In addition there are several of the folks from both groups that are also friends so they will have fun comparing experiences.

Thank you everyone on AH for reading and your kind comments. If anyone needs advice or help on planning a group trip PM me and I will gladly assist. Time in the wild places with friends and family are just to special to miss.

One last observation. The amount of leopard sign we saw was 10 times what were saw on our 2015 safari. Two members of our group saw big males in daylight. So whoever is doing the research on leopard #'s in South Africa for the last 3 years needs to get out of town and go wander in the bush for a month or so.

Rifles used on our hunt.
My wife used her Ruger hawkeye 338 Ruger Compact mag, restocked into a boyds thunbhole stock, Hornaday factory 185gr GMX, 2950fps.
Mine were my custom Parker Hale 9.3x62, 250gr Nosler Accubon, 2610 FPS. This is the most accurate hunting rifle I own.
I Hollis and Sons 577 BPE 3 in double rifle. 650gr woodleigh softs, 1800FPS, (This is the rifle that Cal was kind enough to sell to Me)
Verney Caron 450/400 O/U double rifle. 400gr Swift A-frames and Northfork cupped point solids at 2125FPS.

All 4 rifles performed quite well! Very satisfied with each rifle ammo combo.

In addition we used the outfitters 7x57 on my wife's bushpigs, and I used the outfitters 30/06 on the spotted genet, 243 on the porcupine.

Shoot straight, Shoot often, and don't take a shot till you are ready.

Azdave. I’m impressed, and kind of speechless. So many comments it would take a large fire and a bottle of ? To get it said. First time in my life I would have shot a waterbuck and I concur with your call. Absolutely spellbinding. Congrats and AIRBORNE. Jacques

@jacques smith Thank you. Well you show up in southern Arizona with a bottle of good Irish and I will start the fire and get out the highball glasses and we can talk safari and the 101st/82nd. We had such a good time however I don't think my wonderful wife will let me go wander around SCI by myself again:cool:

Trip organization for a large group is always kinda like herding cats. .............

Sooooo true.

Congratulations on making it to the end.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Like pretty much everyone else, I am speechless and in awe!

You really pulled it off! And then capped it with a great report filled with great pictures.

EPIC

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois