SOUTH AFRICA: TRI-Fold Safari

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by AZDAVE, May 15, 2018.

1. AZDAVE

AZDAVE GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Well this story starts with the fact I have been planning on retiring this year and it is the fruition of good planning for the last 15 years. My wife asked me what I wanted to do to celebrate my retirement? So my thoughts were a motorcycle ride in New Zealand or our 3rd safari. (Well Ok I thought about the ride for less than a second and it will be in 2020) Many of our friends that have seen the pictures and heard our stories over the years said that if we ever went back to please let them know and they would like to come. So we sent out a note, that my retirement present to myself was a safari and who in the family and friends were in. So to make a long story short 12 folks committed to coming. So now the research started on finding a Safari company that can handle a group of 14 and still provide a down to earth adventure and experience.

MAdcox, firehuntfish, IdaRam and 5 others like this.

2. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    That sounds like a great trip you have in the making.

AZDAVE likes this.

3. AZDAVE

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Plans were made to attend the SCI 2017 conference, we prepared a handout of the wish list for everyone hunting and non-hunting. But before the conference I has spoke with a few of the Safari companies here on Africa Hunting. Earlier in the year Bos en Dal safari's contacted me based on some of my posts and we spoke in detail on my requirements. Lianga Safari's contacted me and we exchanged several emails and they were planning on attending a show in New Mexico that got canceled. Since they we only about 5 hours away they came and made a nice presentation at our home to our group of possible safari first timers. Herman THANK YOU! At SCI we spoke with AAA Serapa Safaris. We spoke in great detail with 30-35 safari companies in South Africa and Namibia and took quotes from 10.

dory and Philip Glass like this.

4. CAustin

CAustin BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Sounds like an Epic group hunt coming together.

AZDAVE likes this.

5. AZDAVE

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    @CAustin It should be a very epic trip 10 of the folks coming with us will be on their first trip to Africa. I am looking forward to seeing the looks of wonderment on their faces. Have taught those that never shot off sticks to be comfortable with them and had them do actual field prep but using a couple impala cut outs that I placed in the trees and bush to get them use to ever smaller target for bullet placement. So do believe everyone is as ready as possible.

MAdcox and CAustin like this.

6. AZDAVE

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I have detailed our detailed selection process in other posts so won't go into detail again, after talking to many references, research here on AH and other INTERNET searches. We narrowed it down to 2 companies in South Africa and one in Namibia. We had the group over and explained our research and laid out the pro and cons for each and had everyone go do their own checking and get back to us. Within 3 days everyone had responded and Intrepid Safari's was selected for our 2018 Safari Adventure. Dates were coordinated and deposits paid so now the preparation could begin:) Rifles selected, loads developed, and range time dedicated. More to follow:Jimlad:

BobT, Mekaniks, IdaRam and 1 other person like this.

7. AZDAVE

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    So what does the Tri-fold Safari mean? Well one of my greatest joys in life is seeing my wife smile and surprising her. In 2013 at the end of our first safari we also did a photo safari at Kruger National Park, We saw all the Big 5, dangerous 7 and a million other small details that are forever etched in our adventure. On the flighjt home I asked my better half if there was anything she missed seeing that we would try and include in our second safari. She said she really wanted to see the wild dogs. So that got added to the bucket list to try and make happen. 2015's safari we weren't able to work on that. One of the conversations with Bos en Dal, Gerrit Mentioned that a great place for trying to see wild dogs was Madikwe Game Reserve. THANK YOU Gerrit! So I hatched a plan to do a photo safari at the end of our safari with Intrepid. So the second part of the TRI was now in place. Except now I had 4 of my wife's super good friend's now wanting to come along on the surprise.

8. AZDAVE

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    So we are now on the third part of the TRI. When I booked with Intrepid I got the last open slot they had in may/jun 2018 time frame. Everything else was booked. So I went back to my research and contacted Motsomi Safaris to see if they had the slot right after the photo safari open, they did (y)so now I am coordinating a second hunting safari after the Madikwe photo safari. Now comes the fun part I told my wife we were taking a photo safari at the end of the trip where she has a good chance to see wild dogs. I enlisted Motsomi to help with all the coordinated and keeping the TRI part a secret. All our friends have also Kept this a secret for a year. Gracy travel did a great job of helping with Safari #1 and helping Sonya's Safari #3 a surprise . So we are less than a day from flying. I have checked and re-checked everything and both groups are ready to rock and roll.

I usually don't post anything till I return but will try on this trip, provided I can get photo's from my camera to a brand new tablet. If I haven't posted anything by Monday it means I will post hunt reports when we get back.

Can't wait to be back in the bush!

9. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Have a great trip and start to your retirement!

AZDAVE likes this.

10. sierraone

sierraone SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    It seems you have an amazing trip planned for your band of merry men and women! Looking forward to alot of pics and narratives when you return! Good luck and be safe!!!

11. Neale

Neale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa ( Eastern Cape, Free State, Limpopo,KwaZulu Natal )
    What an adventure you have planned

AZDAVE likes this.

12. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    Your a bloody legend !
    The planning for you trip would have given me ulcers !
    Hope it all goes to plan and you ALL have a great time .!!
    Cheers Dory .

13. Bos en Dal Safaris

Bos en Dal Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana
    @AZDAVE you should enjoy the trip. It is a pity things didn't work out;) for you to come visit us for a few days.

Enjoy and looking forward to your hunt report

My best

14. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    You will have a great time with Motsomi. Pieter and his staff are very Professional. Hunted with them last year and going back next.

15. Nyati

Nyati AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Wish you the best on this trip !