South Africa Travel Advisory, Level 2: Exercise increased caution, January 10, 2018

Hogpatrol

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME

South Africa Travel Advisory, Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Exercise increased caution in South Africa due to crime.

Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

I’ll try to stay out of town on my next trip to RSA!

South Africa Travel Advisory, Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Exercise increased caution in South Africa due to crime.

Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

Does South Africa have crime? For sure. But I don't want the uninitiated to think that it is a war zone either. South Africa is probably one of the friendliest place I have been. I would prefer to go there than the Carribean. Customer Service is significantly friendlier, and the people are great.

It is a country with considerable political and economic problems. But, if you are willing to travel to Jamaica then you will have no issues in South Africa.

The report says:
  • Avoid walking alone, especially after dark.
  • Avoid visiting informal settlement areas unless you are with someone familiar with the area.
  • Do not display cash or valuables.
  • Drive with doors locked and windows closed.
I fail to see how this is different from other countries...or am I just plain dumb?

Detroit Baltimore new Orleans .....areas of Las Vegas from where I write this ........

Everyone in SA knows not to venture up Table Mountain....

I often hear of tourists that come here and try and do charity work within our squatter camps. Their reasons usually include that "if the people see that they are helping them, they won't harm them" I can just shake my head at the stupidity.

I'll keep my eyes open next time I conduct a hunt in a secluded spot on the beach.

Does South Africa have crime? For sure. But I don't want the uninitiated to think that it is a war zone either. South Africa is probably one of the friendliest place I have been. I would prefer to go there than the Carribean. Customer Service is significantly friendlier, and the people are great.

It is a country with considerable political and economic problems. But, if you are willing to travel to Jamaica then you will have no issues in South Africa.
Been to Jamaica. I can certainly relate.

crime is every where you look for it,if your not careful,it will find you,just be alert and smart.

Americans and Western Europeans just cannot wrap their heads around African realities.

Nothing better than 3 weeks in Africa Hunting and touring with a realistic and rational PH to educate you;)

Tourists aren't the only dumb ones. From WGN news, Chicago USA.

south-africa-shaped-south-america.jpg

When I go to RSA I spend my time in the bush, so, no issues.

When I go to RSA I spend my time in the bush, so, no issues.

I have had bushes in Africa try to tear and grab my shirt before. I was lucky to get out of there in enough rags to keep me decent.:D

Las Vegas tourist areas have LEOs on bicycles, on foot, on horseback, in cars. At times it seems like there's more security than tourists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.