SOUTH AFRICA: Tootabi Valley Safaris, LBG Safaris & Hunting With Friends

It would have even been bigger if you hadn't shot a leg off.:sneaky:

That is a big civet!

Big warts on the ole bush pig too. Great looking!(y)

That Civet was definitely the biggest surprise of the trip - I was surprised at both the size and weight.

And I just love that bushpig. Color is just stunning I think!

Day Six:

This would be the last day of hunting with Bossie. We decided we were going to look a little mre seriously for a Kudu. Right before we sat in the badger blind the day before a nice bull had run across the road we looked quickly and only spent about 10 minutes. Today we went back in earnest and began tracking a bull, probably the same one.

After maybe two hours we founf him. we were at the bottom and he was all the way up at the top of the mountain. The shot was about 400 yards and I shot low the first time. I hadn't held high enough and dust kicked just under and behind the bull. the second shot I held just over his back and was on height wise this time, but I pulled the shot.... :S Censored: And when I say I pulled it I pulled it good. I broke his back leg.... The shooting wows continued. That bull bleeed like a stuck pig, but had plenty of fight left in him. And we tracked him for miles.

We finally got a dog and some more help. Bossie's idea was for us to try and get out in front of him while tracker and dog pushed. We were now running out of light too.... We were set up at a likely place looking t a hillside and at one point thought we were going to see him cross the road behind us, but he had turned again. then Bossie yelled he saw him. bossie and I had talked and I had told him that this was shoot as soon as you see. I didn't care if I had help on this bull. He deserved better. so at any rate, I get my rifle but on the bull and have him in the scope when Bossie's 416 Rigby goes off. I just watch the bull crumple. It was a roughly 300 yard shot, offhand, with the Rigby. Bossie hit it in the head! Luck? Sure. but it takes some skill to get that lucky! It was an amazing shot....

i made Bossie take the first picture with the bull because I thought it was the right thing to do and that's the picture I'll post here.

DSC01493.JPG

It was a hell of a day with highs and lows. I'm just happy we got the bull down.

That night we didn't eat til almost midnight after having to get the bull cut up and off the mountain. That kudu liver sure was good though. It's my favorite, although I hear Eland liver is even better.

This was the end of hunting with Bossie. I had a blast! And the night critters are a lot of fun and very little sleep. We averaged four hours, tops, and several nights that time was split. I knew I didn't have enough time to get everything, unless I got lucky. @Hank2211 said in his report that you should have at least ten days and I agree. Genet for example, I bet we saw 15-20 Genet, but never got a shot (could have shot one on badger bait first night and chose not to for obvious reasons). I'm not done with the night critters for sure. I see why Bossie is so passionate about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't blame the equipment. I chose to use it. I do however; think I under estimated the learning curve... I think you're also right on the side shot - that thing wasn't thick...

I'm no Civet expert, but dang thing seemed big to me! Bigger than most pictures I've seen... Here is another one that helps to show.

Seeing genets wasn't the issue, but shooting them was!

View attachment 156267
Big indeed! I'm not sure I'd hold it from that particular point. Civets are known for the anal gland secretions! Tough to get the smell out!

Big indeed! I'm not sure I'd hold it from that particular point. Civets are known for the anal gland secretions! Tough to get the smell out!

Now you tell me.... ;)

upload_2016-7-25_18-42-23.png

Up until 1998, it was the base for Chanel No. 5! Worth mentioning to the missus, if any comments about the smell are made.

One last comment on smell. As bad as a civet can be, as Royal points out, it's got nothing on a honey badger.

Great report @Royal27, love the bushbuck and pig. Hope you saved the pig skull, Dennis told me he'd have dental replica tusk made for my shoulder mount and save the real ones for the euro. @The Artistry of Wildlife should have plenty of practice on the three legged critters, my genet only had three feet when I shot it with Marius so he'll have to get creative with the posing.

You guys ...Well I'm known as the garbage man in some circles of this industry...And I'll have to prove it again.. Take skins that others would throw in the garbage and make very nice mounts out of them ...ROYAL glad you at least didn't blow UP the HB...Very nice trophies all around.
Sand Rat... baby coon feet work pretty good for genet feet replacements, and Royal BIG MICHIGAN coon feet work well on Civet legs. I got you both covered !

Looks like an awesome time! Glad you got your badger. And that's the first civet cat I've seen with someone holding it and they look bigger than I imagined!

Up until 1998, it was the base for Chanel No. 5! Worth mentioning to the missus, if any comments about the smell are made.

One last comment on smell. As bad as a civet can be, as Royal points out, it's got nothing on a honey badger.

Interesting.

That was my mothers perfume. It is probably the only perfume I can recall by smell. Civet anal secretions.....

Royal, what a great Safari. I will now have to work some of those critters into my 2017 safari. Fantastic!
Mike

Interesting.

That was my mothers perfume. It is probably the only perfume I can recall by smell. Civet anal secretions.....
I hope I didn't ruin the memory . . . but if I did, it's Royal's fault!

You are having a great trip. Maybe not all of the animals that you really wanted, but some fine trophies. You have worked hard and I offer my congrats. Bruce

I hope I didn't ruin the memory . . . but if I did, it's Royal's fault!

Everything's Royals fault. :D See the type of congressmen they vote for in Georgia.:unsure:

Great report @Royal27! Night hunting sounds like fun!

Great job Royal! Hank and Wheels, thanks for the laugh, that was some funny stuff!

I just came in from Alaska on a little tour and was curious how your hunt went. Looks like it went well!
Congrats

Great report @Royal27! Night hunting sounds like fun!

Night hunting is a must! I get why it is further down some lists, but it should still be on it! I've chosen to try both night and little critters over more common ones just because it is a very different hunt.

I just came in from Alaska on a little tour and was curious how your hunt went. Looks like it went well!
Congrats

Went great!!! Got back on Sunday, was ready to return on Monday!

So the transfer from Bossie to Beans was uneventful. Bossie drove me back to OR Tambo, got me in the airport, and off I went. The only struggle was making it from the ticket counter to the gun drop off. Those porters can see a tourist from a mile away and love trying to get that tip no matter how many times you tell them you've done it before and know where to go!

Now the ladies at the check in I did tip as time was running a little tight and I didn't want them to take it slow and easy. :) All made it well though.

Beans picked me up and we went back to TVS and had a relaxing afternoon. We drove around a bit and he showed me the farm, which I enjoyed. For those of you who care about such things it is worthy of noting that Tootabi Valley only has a cattle fence. It isn't high fenced and Beans has no intention of changing that. The game is free to move, with the fence only keeping in buffalo or anything that can't jump a normal cattle fence. Kudi, bushbuck, impala, etc are all free to do as they please, and do. So maybe the impala are on the property or maybe some of gone next door. It works well I think.

As Beans as discussed in another thread he's renovated the old place into a new lodge that is really nice while keeping the old rustic feel. He's added a great big porch which over looks both the valley and a large watering hole. It is quite funny to watch Vuvu (younger dog) chases warthogs and especially because a coupe of boars chase back! Watching them alternate is beyond hilarious....

DSC01533.JPG

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01530.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01529.JPG

This is the best picture I had of Vuvu after pigs!

DSC01523.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
20160715_221650.jpg

Beans and I then spent hours talking that first evening around the fire, which became a nightly event for us. We exchanged hunting stories of which he has many more. Whether it be local, lions in the Kalahari, or buffalo in Mozambique. I enjoyed every minute of every conversation and it was time well spent and memories made.

The next morning the plan was to take a walk and see more of the farm, just to see more of the farm and perhaps a nice bushbuck if we saw one. Even though the weather wasn't great (swirling wind and cold) we saw a lot of game and ran into some of his buffalo. The added bonus was listening to lions roar while watching the buffalo. Addo Elephant National Park is right next door, so this something that can happen on his place. I've heard lions in Zimbabwe as well and regardless of where it is it is a magical sound.

DSC01517.JPG

And like I said, plenty of game.

DSC01521.JPG

DSC01522.JPG

The wnd kept picking up, but we finlly did shoot the rifle. We were hoping it would slow down to shoot at distance, Beans has a 400 yard range, but we finally had to shoot and adjust for wind. Like I think I said earlier the 300 shoots great, but I need some further trigger adjustment...

At any rate, the next day would be off to the mountains after Vaal Rhebuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross