Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
EC and NW Province RSA, USA
I just returned home a little over a day ago from a magnificent hunt with Loodt Buchner and Tootabi Hunting Safaris. Below will be a timeline of the how the hunt unfolded with some attached photos. This will be a work in progress as I have in excess of 1200 photos and videos to go through yet.

This hunt represented me chasing my dream of hunting a lion since I was very young. This dream could also be called a demon as it has haunted me for years. I am a few months shy of my 40th year on earth and I have realized life is to be lived and not dreamed about. Dreams (demons) need to become reality. This adventure is all about catching my dreams and facing them.

Day 1: I was met by Loodt and his friend James at OR Tambo for our trek out to Lion camp. They had over nighted in JoBerg and had rented a hotel room. They had not checked out of the hotel yet because Loodt had the fore thought that after 36 hours of travel I would love to clean up and change clothes. This was very welcomed on my part. After a shower and breakfast at the hotel we checked out and hit the road. After around a 5 hour drive we arrived to the lion camp somewhere along the Botswana border in the Kalahari. AH member Pieter Erasmus was there as one of the two DG PH's for my hunt. Yes AH, I had the great opportunity to share a camp with both Loodt and Pieter at once. This first night was all about getting prepped for the next days lioness hunt. There was a lot of discussion on hunting these cats and what my roles and responsibilities were. We went to sleep that night to the sounds of lions roaring in the distance. I was still extremely fatigued from all my travel but sleep was going to be difficult in anticipation for the next days hunt.

Day 2: We started out at the range. I would be using Pieter's Musgrave .375 H&H Mauser for the lioness hunt. First thing was to make sure that the gun was properly sighted in for me. The guys put up shooting sticks and a target at 50 yards. I was expecting to shoot from the bench but there would be no shooting benches or front pedestal rests in the bush. I only took two shots with both bullet holes touching to convince everyone that the gun was perfectly set up for me. With that we were off....
IMG_8289.JPG
We then set out to drag the two tracks with a tree to clear all the tracks from the road from previous days. The day and night before it rained and we needed to ensure that we could find good fresh spoor to follow up on.

After a while of driving the two tracks we found fresh spoor leading into dense bush. We disembarked the bakkie and set out after the lioness. I had butterflies dancing in my stomach knowing how deathly serious lion hunting can be. After all who has not read Peter Capstick's books? After about 400 yards of following the spoor I realized the spoor was starting to turn circles. We came across a warthog den that the lioness had tried to dig the pig out of. She had been here very recently and we bumped her from her breakfast. We continued on the spoor this time taking us in one large circle right back to the warthog den. Her tracks were now in ours. The hunters just became the hunted. She was on our trail! Here is a photo of her pug marks on top of our boot prints.
IMG_8381.JPG
I could tell that everyone's senses just got heightened a few notches. We knew that she knew we were hunting her. I was on overdrive at this point. We spotted here in the bush a few times but the sightings were brief and offered no shot. I even was up on the sticks at he ready but no shot was available. She took us into heavy bush with very little visibility. Cuan my other DG PH turned to me and said. "I need you to not look at the spoor but keep your eyes on the bush. She could come from any direction and a charge will come fast." After 4 hours and around 8 miles of tracking we called off the chase. Cuan asked if I was hungry and would like to go get lunch and pick up the spoor afterwards. Boy did I ever need to take a break. The Kalahari sun was getting intense and I was spent physically and mentally. My legs looked like I had walked through razor wire with the amount of scratches on them and I had a raging headache. I needed food and a rest.

During lunch another PH with clients had communicated to us via bush telegraph that he had spotted a monster eland. Loodt looked at me and said this is your chance for an absolute snorter by the sound of it. Do you want to try your hand at an eland before going back for lioness? With my answer of why the heck not we were in motion right away. We went to the last spot that the bull had been seen. We soon found him about 500 yards down a sendero. Cuan, Loodt and I put the stalk on through the bush. We got to about a 100 yards of the feeding bull when the sticks went up. When the bull turned broadside I placed a 300 grain soft point a 1/3 of the way up dead center on his shoulder. The bull bucked and took off. Knowing how they can cover a lot of ground fast even while wounded, I reloaded and ran out into the sendero. I placed the second shot right where I aimed at the base of the tail to anchor him. The bull crashed hard. I remember Cuan yelling on how he loves Americans because they know how to shoot. My first eland and the last spiral horn needed for my SA spiral slam was in the salt.

IMG_8468.JPG

Great start David!!!!

Can't wait to read the rest!

They had not checked out of the hotel yet because Loodt had the fore thought that after 36 hours of travel I would love to clean up and change clothes.

Welcome home!

The above does not surprise me one bit. Loodt is a very thoughtful fellow!

Looking forward to following your story. 40 days until Kathy and I leave...

Good job on the Eland.

Looking forward to the rest.....

After dropping the eland off at the skinning shed we were back to following up on the lioness. This time we caught up with her very quickly being that the day had grown very hot and she was bedded down. McGuyer my lead tracker spotted her right away and threw up the sticks and excitedly pointed to some dense bush. Although I could not understand his Afrikaans I knew that when a tracker gets this excited you must be ready. I mounted the .375 on the sticks and looked through the scope. Now I could see her! Her gold eyes seemed to burn mine through the scope. At only about 6 yards, I could not see her body at all but just her head and neck. Cuan advised me earlier that on a frontal shot aim just below the chin. At the shot she dropped immediately and started to growl. We were all on high alert expecting a charge but it never came. I could not see her at all for a follow up so we rounded the bush for another finishing shot. This time I could only see the color of her body but not make out any part of anatomy through the bush. We backed off again this time approaching a small opening. This time I could clearly see her. At only 10 feet from the lioness I was able to get a good finishing shot placed in her. After more than a few minutes, Pieter went into the bush with Cuan and I covering him. She was down for good! I chased my demon and my own mortality for over 8 miles under the Kalahari sun and faced it at 6 yards. Words cannot describe the emotional and physical adrenaline dump on my body and soul. My first request was that I was able to be alone with her to give thanks and say a prayer. After we followed it up with a photo session and celebration.
IMG_8558.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

Note Pieter's AH cap!

Here is our party following the lioness spoor under the blazing Kalahari sun:
IMG_8394.JPG

Close up photos of my follow up shot on the lioness:

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_8535.JPG

CONGRATULATIONS ! on a wonderful hunt and success. Great reading nicely done report.
You have memories that will last a lifetime ! Your LIONESS is JUST BEAUTIFUL !

Day 2 ended with a celebration back at camp around the African bush TV. Good times and good stories were shared about the hunt. A few ice cold hard drinks and a great meal ended what could only be described as probably my best day hunting ever. How could a hunt possibly start off so well? A snorter of a eland and majestic Lioness were both in the salt! That night in bed the lions gave me a proper send off from lion camp by roaring through the night.

African Bush TV
IMG_8663.JPG

Love the picture of the prayer with your hand on the head of the lioness. You're right, words can't describe the feelings, but if you've ever had a similar moment that person will completely understand.

Day 3 found us traveling across the country towards the Eastern Cape and the home of Tootabi Hunting Safaris. We stopped in Bloemfontain to meet up with a custom jeweler that was recommended by Loodt. I worked with the jeweler for some time before the trip designing earrings for my wife as a thank you from Africa. We arrived at the Lodge a short while before some friends of mine got there. They were there to hunt the BillC package and experience Africa for the first time. It was at this time that I got to meet Loodt's PH's in camp Lammy, Neil, and Stephen.

Day 4 found us in the mountains of the Karoo searching for my sable. We covered the huge ranch looking for one specific bull that seemed to elude us. We endured cold, heat, high winds, and a rocking thunderstorm looking for the bull. We put on a few miles by bakkie and by boot and even more with our binos.
The beautiful mountains of the Karoo.
IMG_8830.JPG

We needed to seek shelter during a thunderstorm so we dropped down some elevation and sat inside the bakkie and had lunch and a nap for me. After lunch we continued on finding my bull on top of a mountain. I was on the sticks at only 73 yards from the bull. He was hidden in the bush feeding. After an eternity he cleared the bush giving me a quartering away shot. I was using Loodt's 308 and it only took one shot. The bull lunged 10 yards and piled up. I had only hunted for 2 days this trip and had an eland, lioness, and sable down, WOW!
IMG_8795.JPG

That evening found me in the kitchen at my request to marinade eland tenderloins for the crew. It was fun working in the kitchen with Loodt's mother and sister helping with dinner. They thought that it was odd that a client would want to do this but I insisted. The eland tenders turned out amazing and were enjoyed by all. My friends all agreed that they are better than any tenderloin from a North American animal.

That is wonderful and congrats! I understand the desire to have a few moments to yourself with your lion. I hope to be able to do the same here in a few months when I go. Good job Loodt and Pieter sounds like yall put an excellent hunt together.

You can't get a hunt to start any better than it has. Congratulations.

Enjoying the report and photos. Looking forward to more!

All the best.

Outstanding trophies and beginning to a hunt! I look forward to the rest of the report and more great photos.

Great report so far! The story about the lion is the best I've read so far.

Just one more week and I'll be there myself. I hope you left something for me to hunt! :A Thumbs Up:

Outstanding!
Great report so far! The story about the lion is the best I've read so far.

Just one more week and I'll be there myself. I hope you left something for me to hunt! :A Thumbs Up:

I can't believe he is doing this just a day after getting home.

I think I will be in decompression, jet lag, depression, or all three when I get home. Might take me a week or two to get on a computer other than at work.

Great report so far and what a start to a great trip. I am glad Pieter got to help loodt out and got to share this hunt with you. Hunting with those two is a lot of fun and I am sure you found that out. LOL That is a big lioness and eland then to add a good sable you are living the dream man.

I see you got to try out the bog pod and extra wide rest I took Pieter last year. I love that combo for shooting sticks. How did you like that combo?

Looking forward to the rest of the story and to see how those billc packages turned out for your friends.

Thank you for the great hunt report this far! Congratulations!! And That is super cool that you got in the kitchen!!!
Did you take any other animals? Take any side trips other than for the earrings? I hope you plan to post more of the before and after the hunt also? How did you make the decision to go with Tootabi and Pawprint? What airlines did you fly and how was their customer service with your guns? Did you use a a firearms importer? Who is doing your taxidermy? Trophy shipping? This is AWSOME and one of the reasons I like AH so much!!

Day 4 continued: My neighbor, his dad, and brother had an outstanding first day in the bush. They all collected their springbucks and blesbucks and one warthog. They were all amazed about how many animals that they saw, the quality, and the hunting opportunities that they had.
11133942_10205734613225437_578390636059091708_o.jpg

Day 5 was a rest day for me. I only slept 4 hours in transit to RSA 5 days earlier. We had been on the go the whole time that I had been there and I was running on pure adrenaline. I was running on empty and really needed to sleep in. My friends made their way to Loodt's kudu concession and would be hunting for gemsbok and impala on the way. They all got their gemsbok and impalas with one of the gemsboks being a 41'' bull.
11080847_10205734620825627_5209557281422660695_o.jpg

Loodt and I arrived at the remote kudu camp later in the afternoon to a camp full of excited hunters. They were in total disbelief that in two days they all had 4 animals in the salt. That evening we went out as a group in one bakkie to scout for game and take photos. I had not planned on hunting a kudu unless I stumbled across one that is significantly bigger than the two that I had shot on my previous hunt. Greg, my neighbor, brought along his 300Win just in case. Well, just before sundown, we found him a very respectable kudu bull and he now had his third animal down for the day. Day 5 closed with a braai and a few Castle Lagers around the fire.

talk about hitting the deck running , bloke
what a start ,mate
nice ass kissing ,with the earrings ,warbird. youll get many more hunting trips after that loving gesture
cant wait to see your pictures (I don't have enough service to getem up )
keep on typing ...........

Snorter of a Gemsbok! Truly beautiful animal. I'd love to bring one home (hint, hint...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you