SOUTH AFRICA: Tootabi Hunting Safaris In The Pink

To be continued... next year??? LOL

Congrats on a great safari and your pink goat shirt :)

Tim,
Super happy for you buddy! Your first safari is always special. You and Loodt did a hell of a job getting some fantastic trophies! Love the report. Very well done. You and Kathy need to come out and tell us the stories in person!

A few general comments;

Loodt and his crew did a fantastic job in every way. Kathy and I felt at home, and we truly feel like we have family in South Africa. Carel and Charlene (Loodt's parents) are like a brother and sister to us now.

And what can I say about Loodt? I learned a lot from him during this safari, and I appreciate his patience with me as my combination of ignorance and inexperience in this venue created a challenge or two for him! I will hunt with him again in a minute, and can recommend him and his outfit without reservation.

I loved having Deon as our Tracker. He was affable and a gentle spirit. I would really like to get to know him better.

It was great getting a chance to share camp with Royal and Nancy, as well as with their PH Lammie and tracker Attie. The first day after Royal and Nancy left...well, there was a void, no doubt. If you have a chance to make a trip like this with friends or another couple, it really adds a great dimension, especially at the dinner table or evening fire.

Then there is my dear Wife Kathy (Lady Kathryn). What a gem she is! I thank God for this partner of mine who makes everything in my life better.

Last thoughts and a few pics;

Addo National Elephant Park is a must do. There are also a number of excellent Safari Tour operations in the area. We did two (Schotia and Shamwari). The former is less expensive, less time, but very nice. The latter is first class all the way!

Next time out we hope to do elephant back rides and I plan to hunt in a loin cloth (just seeing if anyone is still reading).

I cannot imagine coming to RSA for 5 or 7 days. Please, please...do whatever you can to make your stay 10 days or even longer if possible. There is so much to do, and the longer time-frame will allow you some down-time during the visit, without leaving you feeling stressed that you are "wasting time".

Kudu at Addo (sorry, iPhone!)

Kudu at Addo.jpg

Lion at Shamwari (iPhone through the binocs)
Lion at Shamwari.jpg

Rhinoster Hoek Mountains (First Kudu)
Rhinoster Hoek_Mountains (11).JPG

Laughing it up with Deon
Laughing it up with Deon.jpg

A Lodge at Shamwari
Lodge at Shamwari.jpg

Tracking Mr Figure 8 the Eland (I'd love to go hunt him again!)
Tracking Mr Figure 8.jpg

Thanks for the Memories Loodt and all at Tootabi!!
Tim Arbeiter_Gemsbok (36).JPG

I liked the whole report and was even going to say next trip we maybe able to plan to do together. Then I read you want to hunt in loin cloth sad to say we are out now for that trip. LOL

You had one great trip and it will be hard to top this one for sure but I am sure loodt will try to even do better next time.

I know I am supposed to be done.........

A comment on hunting properties/concessions.

Loodt has a lot of contacts and a lot of options. Depending on what you are targeting on a particular day, he will obviously try to tailor the destination accordingly, while always trying to minimize travel time.

We did our hunting on 7 different properties if my memory serves. Only one was more than an hour away from the main lodge, and we stayed there 2 days. A small property is 5,000 acres. The largest was, I believe, about 30,000 acres (or was it 50,000?).

For someone from the U.S. who is accustomed to small private parcel hunting, or hunting on public land where anyone can roam, hunting 10's of thousands of acres and having it all to yourself is really a treat! You can spot an animal a mile away and go hunt him, without any thought to boundaries or other hunters.

This alone makes this type of hunt very special and unique for most of us.

Dam you got it done. I love that second kudu and that dark cape. I just can not believe a ph just starting got you on all these animals and did such a good job. I guess your gut feeling like mine was right on the money.

Spot on @billc!

I know I am supposed to be done.........

A comment on hunting properties/concessions.

Loodt has a lot of contacts and a lot of options. Depending on what you are targeting on a particular day, he will obviously try to tailor the destination accordingly, while always trying to minimize travel time.

We did our hunting on 7 different properties if my memory serves. Only one was more than an hour away from the main lodge, and we stayed there 2 days. A small property is 5,000 acres. The largest was, I believe, about 30,000 acres (or was it 50,000?).

For someone from the U.S. who is accustomed to small private parcel hunting, or hunting on public land where anyone can roam, hunting 10's of thousands of acres and having it all to yourself is really a treat! You can spot an animal a mile away and go hunt him, without any thought to boundaries or other hunters.

This alone makes this type of hunt very special and unique for most of us.

This factors in heavy with me as well, but from the flip side. I am used to hunting vast areas where I can ride for literally days and not see a soul or hit a road or boundary. Hunting on even a 10,000 acres seems a bit restrictive lol. I don't find it unsporting but certainly a little confining, I cant imagine hunting the same 80 acre tract year after year.

Tim you will be adding things for a week or more I bet as you remember things. I can think of something you did not mention yet that happen with royal and nancy but it is something you cant go in to great detail because it is a secret for tootabi family only. That very special night out with the new SA family you get after hunting with loodt.

I think you may have even forgot an animal I believe.

... you cant go in to great detail because it is a secret for tootabi family only. That very special night out with the new SA family you get after hunting with loodt.

You know keeping secrets isn't good for you. They eat at you, gnawing on your insides, keeping you up at night. They'll take 10 years off of your life. Its quite sad really.

That is good to hear. Dakota said ped mount so you can show the white circle around the butt in the ped base. I just know he deserves to be mounted and glad you are doing that. Paul does some nice waterbuck mounts to
Bill,
Love Dakota's thinking, give that kid a hi five for me! I threw that very challenge to Paul for my waterbuck.... Details to figured out yet but thinking a larger base? any ideas Dakota has are welcome! At first I thought put the butt skin on the back of the mount itself, but there likely won't be room. I did tell Paul to get a good look at the skin and then we need to confer...

Tim,

You did leave out at least one animal. Same day as the first baboon. :)

Congrats on all the animals you took Tim, what a first hunt! That second kudu was really nice! I love zebra hunting too!

Tim,

That's the one royal. I think he was just so looking forward to posting his blesbuck picture with the pink shirt he forgot that one little critter.

Bob to do the white circle of the ass of the waterbuck you can either do it on the back of the mount or just do a bigger square ped. base so it can be display in the front panel.

Diamondhitch I have kept this secret for almost a year now and I am all good. LOL Lets just say it is a special night that showed me loodt thinks outside the box and was more then able to become a SA outfitter with even being younger man.

Tim,

Ugh. Hogwart!

It got donated and I never took a pic...so it didn't happen!

Last edited:
Ugh. Hogwart!
That's the one. Your still getting over the jetlag so it is ok. LOL plus that dam sa goat still has you in shock to.

That's the one. Your still getting over the jetlag so it is ok. LOL plus that dam sa goat still has you in shock to.

Mesmerized by a goat...that's it! Better than admitting I am losing my mind!

Enjoyed the report. Thanks for putting in the time to make it so detailed.

New avatar looks great too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg