SOUTH AFRICA: Tootabi Hunting Safari Report With The Wife A Family Affair

So I said I would write some final reflections after I've been back for a bit, so here goes.

Being with the Arbieters definitely added to the trip. As Tim said in his report it added to the evenings and the campfires. And I throughly enjoyed watching Tim hunt and being the observer for just a bit. Couples trips can go bad on so many levels, but this worked out great! Nancy and I both hope we can spend time with Tim and Kathy again in the future.

The EC is the right place for a wife's first trip if she isn't a hunter. There was plenty to do and she got to see what I do too, in small bites, without getting bored. By the way, Lammie played no small part in this. He was constantly concerned that she was happy. I promise you he would have taken her back to the main lodge had she not been having a good time at the Kudu camp (Rhinoster Hoek).

I'm very glad we did Addo, Shamwari, and Schotia. They were all different, and all worth it.

I won't do a package deal again, at least not one in which the trophy fees are non-refundable. I knew going in that a refund wasn't available and made the decision that I was OK with that. What ended up happening though was I put myself under pressure and stress to "get my money's worth" while trying to make the right decision on the animals and not just shooting one to make sure I didn't lose a trophy fee. This took away from the huntimg at times. Having the blue duiker and Oribi at the front end of the hunt added to this as this ended up meaning almost three days were spent looking for animals not on the package list when there were still a bunch of "paid for" animals not yet taken.

Seeing all of the different areas from the ocean, to the thornveld, to the edge of the Karoo. We jumped around a bit, but this is part of it when you want diverse animals. Now that I have a better understanding of this I can plan the next trip to Africa better as I will know better what questions to ask as far as habitat is concerned. And I could do a ten day trip just to Rhinoster Hoek, no problem!!!! The way it reminded me of the hill country in Texas was incredible, different and yet the same.

And thanks to all here at africahunting.com. I started coming here just to get some information about a hunt and what gear to use. I never dreamed that I would end up making such good friends!!! Some of which I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being close friends for the rest of my life. In fact, I would be more surprised if they didn't. I've said it before and I will say it again. I am truly, truly blessed.

Now the planning for safari number three begins!!! I know it won't be until at least 2018 as I recover financially from this last year, but I'm already starting to think about it. What will it be??? Right now I will admit that Sable (in a wild area), elephant, or leopard are at the top of my list as a primary target, but nothing has been ruled out! There os still plenty of plainsgame and I still have five of the tiny ten to get, so that may factor in as well.

Does anyone have a combo special for elephant and dik dik???? :A Rock:

Great insights on the pressure side.

On my first trip I thought long and hard about that package idea and finally decided to hunt al a carte and pay for what I shot.
Three days dedicated to a specific Kudu was a blast. Plenty of pressure but not that bad kind. Plenty of ribbing from the buddies in camp in the evening about not getting anything.

Logistics plays a huge part in a successful and thoroughly enjoyable hunt. Tweek the next one and maybe you'll get it all right. ;)

Glad you had a good hunt.

Great insights on the pressure side.

On my first trip I thought long and hard about that package idea and finally decided to hunt al a carte and pay for what I shot.
Three days dedicated to a specific Kudu was a blast. Plenty of pressure but not that bad kind. Plenty of ribbing from the buddies in camp in the evening about not getting anything.

Logistics plays a huge part in a successful and thoroughly enjoyable hunt. Tweek the next one and maybe you'll get it all right. ;)

Glad you had a good hunt.

Thanks Wayne!

You never keep learning!!! I certainly don't at least!!!!

I would love to spend three days on one Kudu! And you can't do that on a package hunt, not unless you just get lucky and knock everything else down first and early. I'd much rather have the experience though on all of the animals.

Next hunt will be a smaller species bag (planned at least) and then see what happens. For me personally having a tough primary species (like buffalo, or heck a great big kudu) to focus on and then taking others as opportunity feels better. I also believe that is a personal preference that each hunter must decide on their own. I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

Tell you what Royal....let's consider what Loodt has said about Namibia.

2018 sounds about right.

:)

I would love to spend three days on one Kudu!...........

In fact I hunted Kudu in particular for 9 days total. In the first 6 days I turned down two bulls.
Then went to another Outfit and spent the three days chasing the specific one.
So, 9 days invested in my first Kudu.
Not what most folks can do for sure.

Glad you have a new plan for the future.

BRICKBURN, could I PM you with some questions on a future hunt?

BRICKBURN, could I PM you with some questions on a future hunt?

You can PM me any time you would like. So can anyone else.

Congratulations Royal. Well done!

Re-reading these reports has me counting the days to DSC, hoping we get to re-live the trip while drooling over nice rifles and taxidermy, or eating dinner (or all of the above!).

Face it now Tim, it will be all of the above plus! Looking forward to seeing you, Royal , and all the other guys!

Re-reading these reports has me counting the days to DSC, hoping we get to re-live the trip while drooling over nice rifles and taxidermy, or eating dinner (or all of the above!).

Face it now Tim, it will be all of the above plus! Looking forward to seeing you, Royal , and all the other guys!

I agree guys! definitely looking forward to DSC already!

I like the sound of that!

Just read this from beginning to end, you packed a hell of a lot into one trip! A lot of fine country and fine hunting. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg