SOUTH AFRICA: Tootabi Hunting Safari Report With The Wife A Family Affair

Great start Royal, I look forward to the next installment.

Thanks James!

I will see if I can figure it out. Honestly, I never even thought about trying to change the settings. Some did look kind of cool, but hopefully I can figure out how to change them back.

Bob,

The sad thing is that I used to be one of those guys who knew all of the technology and could make every feature work. I could even make the clock stop flashing on a VCR!!! :P Punk:

Somewhere around ten years ago that all changed though... :A Stars:

Royal,

It's called old age and Alzheimer's. :eek:

Your still young. :E Crazy:Unfortunately it gets worse. :A Wheelchair: Then you die!:E Horrified:

Nice report royal and looks like you had fun. Seems loodt did his job of making sure nancy was taken care of also and she had as much fun as you. Now you can plan on the return trip to get that blue duiker.

Loodt definitely did the job, Bill. Keeping her that busy was a lot of work and he did almost all of it personally and made sure of what she wanted to do on each day. I couldn't have asked for more.

Another thing worth mentioning is Tootabi's location. It is within minutes of Addo, Shamwari, Schotia, and the local Born Free Foundation, among other attractions. There are just a lot of convenient things to do for the family and non-hunter.

I am really enjoying this report for two reasons. 1: I was waiting for this report after seeing some of the photos on FB, and 2: My wife signed on to go visit Loodt in 2017 with me and with our 9 year old daughter (she will be 11 then). My wife wants to spend time helping at the orphanage and touring Schotia. My daughter is all about seeing cheetahs and fullfilling her growing trophy list.

I am really enjoying this report for two reasons. 1: I was waiting for this report after seeing some of the photos on FB, and 2: My wife signed on to go visit Loodt in 2017 with me and with our 9 year old daughter (she will be 11 then). My wife wants to spend time helping at the orphanage and touring Schotia. My daughter is all about seeing cheetahs and fullfilling her growing trophy list.

Awesome on the family visit!

We ended up running out of time and didn't get to visit the orphanage. It was just the way it worked out with the hunt. The only days we could have made it really work were the weekend.

It is definitely a very worthy cause.

That will be an epic family vacation! Your all going to have so much fun I don't know how you can stand the anticipation!

Your Doing great Royal glad you and Nancy are having a good time. Keep it coming.

great report so far, will share this with my wife, i know she is excited about making the trip

90 days 9 hours 50 min 18 sec till wheels up

You will both have a great time!

I think the EC is hard to beat if the wife doesn't hunt.

Day Four

We left Nancy at the spike camp while we went to look for an Oribi. The hope was to have an Oribi down by 10 AM and then get serious about bushbuck. Well, the Oribi had different ideas. We saw plenty, but they were either small rams, or ewes. And the one really nice ram we did see ran off. I got a quick look at him through the scope, but never had time for a shot. Things just weren’t going right. Even the common duiker got involved in the game. We saw several nice ones, but something always happened. I was a bit too slow picking one up and then getting ready to shoot, needing probably two more seconds that he gave me. On another we needed to move over just ten feet to get a shot and scared a springhare, which in turn made the duiker run. And we got too close to a third that Lammie believes was five inches, or better. He was probably 20 yards from us when Lammie saw him and said SHOOT!!! By the time I turned and raised my rifle for an offhand shot he was running, and at an angle that would have made my swing go towards Dwayne (guy who guided on the land we were on) in a way that I wasn’t going to do. So by this point I was learning to hate duikers of all sorts….

At one point Dwayne asked Lammie, “how far can he shoot?” Lammie answered simply, “He can shoot.” That was actually a highlight of the trip for me. Always nice to know that your PH truly has confidence in your abilities.

We continued to walk and I can’t begin to tell you how beautiful the area is. The hills are rolling; the grass was green, and the walking a pleasure. It really was just like taking a leisurely stroll by the beach with a wonderful view of the ocean, except that I was hunting. And we were seeing lots of animals, including Bontebok, just not the ones we wanted. Then, as it often is with hunting things changed quickly and Lammie spotted a nice Oribi. Dwayne wasn’t as sure and they discussed whether we should take him quickly. He had seen us and began to run off, but made that once mistake by stopping to look at us once last time before he ran off for good. I was ready and when he stopped I shot and at 212 yards I dropped him. The Oribi has hair that is “fluffy” I guess, not sure how else to say it, and man could you hear that “thwack” when the bullet hit.

DSC00790_resized.JPG

DSC00782_resized.JPG

Billc took a picture of his bushbuck with the ocean in the background and I remember asking him if he could see the ocean while he hunted. He told me he couldn’t, but that they didn’t have to drive far for the picture. Well, for the Oribi I could literally see the ocean and had even been looking at it just before the Oribi was spotted. We moved maybe 40 yards for the picture just to get a better skyline. Below is a picture of where the Oribi was shot at, just to try and give you an idea.

DSC00785_resized.JPG

The Oribi was shot around one PM and we then started looking for bushbuck immediately. We saw a LOT of them, but all female or young rams. Not a single one that was even worth a second glance. It was just one of those things and the big guys just weren’t out that day. It sure wasn’t from a lack of effort from Lammie and the team! We hunted hard.

Bontebok
DSC00784_resized.JPG

Day Five

One day I was hunting near the beach and sand and the next I’m hunting in the mountains and rocks. It went from easy walking to rather tough. The rocks and brush hold a special place in my heart though as I grew up spending much time in the Texas Hill Country. The “Kudu Camp” really reminded me of the hill country, except bigger. Acacia instead of mesquite, but the prickly pear cactus looks similar. The cactus is taller in Africa too, but the palms look the same. Somehow I’m not sure that I got a single good picture of the cactus. Oops…

DSC00800_resized.JPG

DSC00799_resized.JPG

Luck did turn for the better again. And in the early morning Attie spotted a nice Duiker bedded down. We could only see his head through the grass. I decide I could make the shot though and took it. I still haven’t learned how to compensate for the grass properly and shot over his back. He just stood up and moved maybe five yards to the right instead of running though. I guess he was still sleepy. Big, big mistake on his part. If I didn’t learn anything else at SAAM it was to always be ready for another shot, and I was.

DSC00809_resized.JPG

The morning wasn’t over either as we found the Steenbok next. I’m not sure how long the shot was, maybe just over 100 yards, but regardless I pulled it and hit the Steenbok low. $^$&*$%!!! We jumped him again and I took two running shots that missed, although the second one looked like it went between his horns. Attie saw the brush that he bedded down in though and had a plan. They had me circle around and get ready and then Attie and Lammie flushed him out like quail. Another running shot, but this time I didn’t miss.

I always try to be honest with myself and everyone else about what I do wrong and try and learn from it. This time I overcompensated for my belief that I’d been too slow on the sticks several times the day before. Well, this time I was too fast and made a poor shot due to it. Frankly, I’d rather be too slow. There is fine line in there and I struggle to hit it.
DSC00813_resized.JPG

So it is now 9:30 in the morning and we are looking for Kudu as we came to the camp to do. We see some, but not a lot according to Lammie. He expects more, but they just aren’t moving for whatever reason. This continues for the rest of the day. Cow and young bulls, which they call “stutostut” (I’m sure I just butchered that…), which translates to “motorbike” referring to the ape hanger handlebars on a Harley Davidson. I think the term fits perfectly for those young bulls that point out!

Mid-day we do see one mature bull that is very wide for the area, but he isn’t what I’m looking for. Lammie had me take a picture of him because of the width and estimated him at 45 inches. When I showed Loodt the picture that night he gave me a bit of a hard time telling me that I should have taken him and that he would have and that he would go back and take the bull himself. He just wasn’t what I wanted and I had no remorse in passing on him. To me that is the great thing about Kudu, the shape and spread can be so personal and different even if the inches are close to the same.
DSC00817_resized.JPG

We finished the evening with a still hunt at a spot Lammie has hunted many times before. Lammie was disappointed because we “only” saw roughly 15 Kudu and the one decent bull we saw never came close enough to stalk. But here was the exciting part for me. Lammie told me beforehand what they would do, where they would come from, how they would come, and where they would go. It was really neat watching them do it. Where I hunt most of the time you just don’t get to see that. Very cool.

DSC00823_resized.JPG

So that was it for the day and we drove out after dark and man was it pitch black. Well. If I haven’t learned anything else in two trips to Africa it is that when you think it is all over something else amazing will happen. So there on that dirt road is a porcupine. Bakkie comes to a quick stop and out we jump. I always carry a little Streamlight flashlight in my pocket and it came in handy as it was the only one we had. Off into the bush Attie and I go chasing after that porcupine. I felt like a teenager! He zigs and zags and I’m trying to get pictures and get closer and Attie runs by him as well. Not too long ago there was a thread here asking about the appropriate caliber for a porcupine. I can now tell you what it is - .rock! Attie hit him right in the head and that was that. Quick and clean, he never even fell over. Before that happened though I did get to hear him shake those quills. What a sound they make!!! Sound just like a really loud rattlesnake, but just a little slower on the rattling. Great day again.

DSC00826_resized.JPG

A Kudu bull that we found dead. If you look on the flank you can see where he was gored in a fight with another bull. Nature is so peaceful and all animals get along unless we come to hunt them. Yeah right...

DSC00819_resized.JPG

And finally, if anyone ever wondered about what kind of an impact over grazing could have in the bush, here you go. Good management on one side and bad on the other.

DSC00818_resized.JPG

Sounds like you and your wife had a great trip, and took some nice trophies to boot.

We really did. I was nervous about Nancy getting bored, but the animals kept her entertained. And although I don't ever think she will hunt she definitely enjoyed being out more than I thought she would. As you'll see later, she understands hunting even though she really loves the animals too. I can't ask for more than that.

Day Six

Back to the coast for blue duiker and bushbuck.

We used a different dog man this time based on availability. I’m told they are both quite good and I believe it. This time we also see a blue duiker at the very first stand and I shoot twice. I think I’m behind on the first shot and the second shot looks like a hit to both Lammie and the dog man, Adrian. We look for hours but no blood is found, nor a blue duiker. The one thing I’m disappointed in here is that Attie follows the duiker by track further than the dogs did by smell. I expected more out of the dogs than I saw at that end, maybe I shouldn’t have, but I did. I hate wounding an animal and I won’t lie, losing the trophy fee stings, but it is what it is and it happens. I still hated it though and was definitely down for the remainder of the day, and really even the next morning.

Regardless, not getting a blue duiker was my fault, the opportunities were there. I’ll definitely try again in the future, but for now my quest for the tiny ten is paused at five.

We spend the rest of the day up in the hills looking for bushbuck. A front is coming through though and it is windy. The bushbuck we see are all small, with only one even being discussed as a marginal shooter at best. It just felt like one of those days that nothing would happen and it doesn’t. Ironically, the next day another hunter shoots a 15 inch bushbuck at the same little spot where we saw the marginal ram. And that gentlemen, is hunting.

The one thing I know though is that I thoroughly enjoyed the bushbuck hunting and would much rather have not taken one at all than to have taken a marginal one just to say I had. One more reason to go back.

Having the ocean as a backdrop is pretty neat.

May have to do that sometime.

Day Seven

Nancy and I are off to Shamwari to see Jacques, and maybe some animals too. I think she wants to see the animals…. At any rate, just in case I get a picture of the two of them together, just on case I need to call a lawyer. ;) So when Nancy went the first time it was the typical group photo safari thing. This time though Loodt had arranged a private game drive with just the two of us, and Jacques. It was actually Jacques day off and he came in, very nice of him and he was a very good guide and very conservation thru hunting minded. We actually really hit it off in the afternoon once he realized I was a leftie. He is too and he wanted to hear all about my left hand bolts. :)

DSC00922_resized.JPG

He asked Nancy what she wanted to see and she had a simple list for him – Elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, hippo, and giraffe. Now Shamwari isn’
DSC00930_resized.JPG
t Zimbabwe, but it is a big open place and the odds of seeing her entire list weren’t good. In fact, Loodt told us he had never seen everything we saw in one day there and guessed it would take three visits on average to see what we did. Long story short, we saw here entire list, including both black and white rhino (Jacques hadn’t seen the black since December to give you an idea), plus cheetahs on a kill. Man was that something to watch in person!
DSC00897_resized.JPG

We saw the black rhino first, but then Jacques got a call and told us that there was something special if we hurried (turned out to be the cheetahs feeding). Well, we were a long way away and so Jacques was driving rather fast and while going down a hill we came around a blind corner and scared the $#** out of an elephant bull! Watching the reaction was amazing… He was just like you or I if someone almost ran into you with a Bakkie – scared, then angry, then just staring at you to let you know what you had done was wrong, then finally calmed down as if to say “it’s all good. I know now it was just an accident.” The bull didn’t leave the road and let us pass for at least five minutes. Wow….

DSC00845_resized.JPG

We made it to see two brothers feedback on a young Blesbuck. The video doesn’t do it justice and man were they gut bombed!

When we went in and ate lunch it was outside by a waterhole. The young Nyala in the picture below was actually in a little garden there. I took the picture from a walkway about three feet away and below. I think the picture is hilarious. There is a resident hippo at the waterhole that we got a glimpse of during lunch and Nancy saw an elephant drink there on her previous trip. Point is that even lunch wasn’t boring.

DSC00957_resized.JPG

We got so lucky to see the leopard (radios are a wonderful thing) and drove right by lions in order to see the leopard. That was funny “there are the lions” was yelled out as we were flying by them. LOL! This is also where the “private” game drive had an advantage. We drove right past the “tour buses” and up much closer than anyone else and ended up right at the spot where she came out of the bush, Nancy was floored. I think she almost cried.

DSC00963_resized.JPG

We did get to go back to the lions and caught them on the move. I even asked one if she would do the “Billc lioness pose” for me and she did a pretty good job I think.

DSC00987_resized.JPG

In case anyone's wife wants to know how close you can really get.

We ended the day with a great dinner at the lodge and then Loodt picked us up. Shamwari was my favorite non-hunting day for sure.
DSC00954_resized.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you