SOUTH AFRICA: TIA

So what was the story on the security guy, was he legit? How did he get through perimeter fencing to get to the door?

I always say I am never lost…just touring the country

So what was the story on the security guy, was he legit? How did he get through perimeter fencing to get to the door?
No perimeter fencing as we are currently staying on a working farm. Not sure if the guy was legit but probably as there is a problem with the alarm system.

Fiancé took her second animal this morning. Spine shot this one so it didn’t go anywhere. I’m enjoying watching her hunt.

A7CB0822-586D-4179-A5C6-8C75D7F6D90B.jpeg

Fiancé takes a nice Burchells Zebra this afternoon. Perfect heart shot, the Zebra ran in a circle and died almost where it was shot. Proud of her.

66E4B528-7905-4470-AB18-408A172C51B5.jpeg

We are driving from Brits to Thabazimbi, actually in the city of Thabazimbi having lunch at Whimpys. I’m driving one of the vehicles and only went of the road once, used the whispers only three times when making a turn. The tracker only tried to jump out once but I had the child locks activated (I’m kidding).

Thabazimbi is a nice looking city nestled between the mountains. The hunting capitol of South Africa.

No perimeter fencing as we are currently staying on a working farm. Not sure if the guy was legit but probably as there is a problem with the alarm system.

You didn't inquire about this with the PH or the owner of the farm? Luckily the security guard was cool and didn't draw his weapon when he saw you with a rifle. It could have gone bad in a split of a second.

Now we are staying in a tented camp. First time for us. Really like it. No A/C of course but it cools down enough at night that it’s very pleasant. King sized bed, on suite toilet, sink and shower. Hot water comes from a donkey.

The hosts are very nice and attentive. An excellent operation.

Come 4:00 finds us sitting in a blind overlooking a water hole. First in are three giraffes. They clearly sense our presence but carry on eating and drinking for at least a half hour. Next in are a few female waterbuck. Then the critter we are waiting for, a warthog.

And in short order my fiance shot her warthog.

F7A37493-D619-4417-B925-EAF4332539FE.jpeg

My turn. We head to another ranch this morning looking for either Sable or a Roan.

We have an hours drive at 100 kph. What’s already happening to America happened here decades ago. All the wildlife is gone from the areas outside high fence game farms. From 60 years ago till now I’ll say there is 1/100th of the game I used to see. The problem, massive overpopulation,

In no time we spot three Roan. Glass them. One is pretty good, certainly one to take at the end of the day. We passed and continued looking.

We spot a nice Sable. I steady up the 375 and send a round. Good hit, he stumbles to the ground then gets back up and off into the bush he goes.

I trade the 375 for my double in case he charges us. After a bit of tracking we find him, sitting. I put a 500 grain 475 No 2 Jeffery into him and the hunt comes to a successful conclusion.

My first animal with the 375 H&H and the 475 No 2.

Pictures taken all around, the Sable is loaded and we head for the skinning shed.

835C7FAB-E79A-483B-A975-ACB9865C6473.jpeg

On the way to the shed we spot a really nice Roan. I dismount with the double and start my sneak to him. At about 60 yards, off hand, I send a 500 gr 475 No 2 Jeffery his way. Perfect hit he thrashed about for a moment, stands teetering, the falls over.

I walk up to about 20 feet and shoot him with the second barrel. Tons of pictures of course and then I watch the PH and trackers roll him on to a home made gurney. That allows them to wheel him out of the heavy brush. Clever for sure.

He’s loaded with the Sable and we make it to the skinning shed.

39AD2917-52CF-46C3-9D3A-E7EA6187FAF1.jpeg

Now we are staying in a tented camp. First time for us. Really like it. No A/C of course but it cools down enough at night that it’s very pleasant. King sized bed, on suite toilet, sink and shower. Hot water comes from a donkey.

The hosts are very nice and attentive. An excellent operation.

Come 4:00 finds us sitting in a blind overlooking a water hole. First in are three giraffes. They clearly sense our presence but carry on eating and drinking for at least a half hour. Next in are a few female waterbuck. Then the critter we are waiting for, a warthog.

And in short order my fiance shot her warthog.

View attachment 522988
She has become quite the hunter!!! Congratulations to her!!! Looks like she also is a great shot!

Today we came back from Thabazimbi to Brits to spend the night and head to the Kalahari in the morning . No sooner did we get there and the alarm system went off again. After about 15 minutes of dicking with it our PH got it shut off.

I expressed my concern that a security guard would come again. He assured me they wouldn’t. Of course they did. No more staying there, a poorly maintained place. So we are now headed to Sun City for the night. TIA.

"hot water comes from a donkey" this had me laughing pretty good.

Here are the two bullets recovered from the Roan. Woodleigh Soft Nose.

9C1EEA2C-BB41-4421-B18C-3D053BD9051E.jpeg

We are currently staying at Serapa Safaris, a luxury lodge in the Kalahari. Very very nice. Taking today to do business stuff and just kick back. Tomorrow we will hunt again.

I think the Kalahari wins as to where we will buy. Very few people and big land.

8ACF6AF2-ECC1-4EF0-AC38-63A195DAB5B9.jpeg

This place is 17k+ acres with around 4k animals including three of the Big 5, Lion, Buffalo and Rhino. I don’t plan on hunting anything, my fiancé will, but I will be taking the double.

A nice thing happened today. There was a group of hunters here from Austria and the elder, who spoke English. He asked my fiancé “are you here hunting?” she said yes. He then said “so you are a female hunter” she said yes. He said “Admiration”.

And this was after he insisted she get in line in front of him in the food line. When was the last time you saw or heard that in the US.

The view out of the chalet.

98880CD5-AC6D-4FDF-AF3D-DF4839DCD6B7.jpeg

Last night sitting on the deck outside a Lechwe with a broken horn came in and my fiancé said “I want that”. We then learned Lechwes and Waterbucks with single horns must be removed from the herd because they essentially have swords on their heads and can hurt or kill other males.

Out this morning and we got lucky spotting the Lechwe in within 30 minutes the hunt was on. And in no time we were taking pictures.

70B392C0-0F1F-4619-9280-DB816D00312E.jpeg

A very nice surprise was they sent a separate truck to pick up the Lechwe so as soon as we were done taking pictures we were hunting again. A first for me.

Once we were hunting again it wasn’t long before we spotted a Tsessebe. I decided to take it with my 375. Again a truck came to take it back.

We are back for lunch now.

FAFB0FC2-279C-4526-B54D-7779182A34B1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois